Train Giant A-Train 9

I got it. It's the same as A-Train from way back in the DOS days.

Basically you move little boxes around so the towns will use them to build. If there are any left over, you can build something yourself for a price.

The graphics are nice, but that's about it. There is no control over anything like there should be with trains. There are no signals so you're constantly farting around with moving trains out of the way. To keep a train from moving past a station, you need to build little sidings which is anoying at the best.

I'll most likely delete it. It was a big waste of money.

John

Thanks for the warning. I was seriously considering it when the 50% off sale was going on. Glad I didn't bite.

Thanks for the warning. I was seriously considering it when the 50% off sale was going on. Glad I didn't bite.

I'm sorry I did!

I did end up with Cities in Motion which isn't bad while looking for a bit more insight on playing A-Train9.

The interface is weird though.

John

Yeah I brought it a few days ago myself, agree on the graphics look good, but lacks everything else.

Clumsy track building system, restricted on number of trains, even though that can be part of the challenge, bit of a waste really.

I played A-Train way back in the day.

What I hated most about that stupid game was if you started to earn any real profits then the progressive tax rate kicked in and it killed you.

I've been getting the newsletter for quite a while now and just noticed this version of A-Train. I was pretty addicted to this game in the 90's on my playstation one (still have save cartriges for it and the original game). It was the first micro managing game I played and loved it. The complaints I've seen for it were just part of the game to me back then. There was no manual, setting every single bus to every intersection, getting the trains to work right sounds like the same game and I'm excited to buy this in the near future :D Over time trying to fill the void the old a train left I tried cities in motion and after a few days got pretty bored with it. I thought is was close to the ol atrain but once you setup a working transit system it seemed like that was it. Cannot wait to check out this version of A-Train! Thanks Auran!

Hmm, A-Train from Maxis, that's long ago, I remember playing that on a 286 AT with an amber coloured monochrome monitor attached to an even then ancient hercules card. :hehe:

If anybody is interested in such a game I would advice to have look at OpenTTD, what is an open source version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe. I found it quite entertaining, but of course it isn't anything like trainz. It does have a quite elaborate schedule and signal system though.

Some reading is involved to get the most of it, as is often with Open Source software. Good places to start are here and here.

Greetings from dusk Amsterdam,

Jan

Good ol' A-train - I remember playing the Playstation version (clumsily mistranslated as AIV Evolution Global - it's really meant to be A-Train IV). If you're into Sim-style micromanagement games, then it's pretty good, as it's virtually just a clone of Maxis's own Sim City, but with more an emphasis on transport systems (Sim City's application of roads and railways was downright ridiculous, so that was one thing A-train had over it).

But then I was never really one for city simulators - Trainz basically killed off any interest I had in them. ;)

Back