need a DEM map! please

:cool: It would help if you name the origin and destination cities or a railroad line along the route, or a highway.

Hello,

From this link http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM1/Region_03/ you need to download the zipped files N44W86.hgt.zip and N44W87.hgt.zip. if you want to create the dem-file for the area Manistee, Arcadia, Frankfort and Interlochen.

However, if you have a look a this link http://www.michigan.gov/documents/MD...l_130897_7.pdf I can only see the Manistee trainstation. Is there a railway line up north to Frankfort and from Frankfort eastwards to Interlochen?

Best regards

Kurt :wave:

Well the C&O ran north out of Manistee, below are a some maps of the former lines that i found on RRHX.com the blue line represents the route I'm planning to run. And the Ann Arbor ran a car ferry out of Frankfort. Here's a link to the state map on RRHX - http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Maps/MapMenuState.htm.

manisteecounty.png

benziecounty.png

grandtraverse.png

Hello Vonhammer_87,

The link and pictures gives us a better view of the situation. Will you be making the route in Trainz2010 or Trainz2012? What method will you be using? Did you consider buying Transdem?

Best regards

Well the route will be built in 12, and Ido plan on making it for MP. Not.sure what you mean by method. And yes I have considered buying Trans DEM, but A) don't really have the money for it and.B dont have the time to mess with it right now.

Hello Vonhammer_87,

By method I mean - what kind of method will you be using to make the route, laying tracks, etc

Best regards

Well it'll be a single track mainline with passing sidings, i am going to be using Andi06's animated junctions and way gauges. if thats what you mean. For operations purposes i'm planning on using Dap's CMTM system. That's all i have in mind for right now. I wanted to have the DEM before i started laying track.

Hello Vonhammer_87,

Perhaps jcalmx55 is not at home. Let's see if backyard gives another reaction on your thread.

Best regards

Can't hurt right? In the mean time i can start doing some planning such as track schematics, industry locations, may even design a logo.

I ... dont have the time to mess with it (TransDEM) right now.

Which is why I stopped doing DEMs on request. The time to 'mess with the DEM' is infinitesimal compared tot he time required to build the route. The dedication required to master TransDEM (or HOG) is infinitesimal compared to the dedication required to finish a route that big. I truly wonder if you have any real appreciation of the amount of work required in a route that size, its like a 5 year project!

With all due respect to the OP it is my belief that if a fledgling route builder lacks the will to master either of the DEM creation methods the chance of the route ever actually seeing the light of day is pretty low...

Andy

:cool: That would be great. PM me.

Currently the USGS Server is busy, looks like an all night project!(I love when that happens!):hehe:

Back