Why use High Poly - Sketch Up ... instead of learnig GMax & Blender

I hold Sketchup to be in the same mold as Guitar Hero. Made for people that don't actually want to LEARN a skill, just look like they do.

Putting Google Warehouse content on DLS isn't "Public" it is commercial.

Not acknowledging the original creator is "pirating".

Harold

It's well within the confines of permitted redistribution. It's not "piracy."

I do agree, however, that original authors should be credited.

Yes I understand google sketchup assets are much higher poly than others.... and yes I do use the 3D warehouse but I have created some random things in it before.... I do know how to use some of the tools in it... I exported exotic sportscars to the game not because I wanted to be a "Content creator" but instead thought there was not enough porshce, ferrari, and lamborghini models in trainz, So I decided I would look in, see what they got, and low and behold, there were more of them than I could find a use for! I thought that maybe you guys would like some sporty cars to put around rich neighborhoods too. But I guess this is not the case? I mean do you frown upon people who wanted exotic cars or any other asset but did not have the time to slap it togeather themselves? Do you frown upon people who do not have all of their time for making assets for the game so YOU can use... What about the content creators? They need time to have fun and play the game also... And thats exactly where google sketchup is great... You can export just about anything you can think of, and use it without bother content creators....

I remember back in the day, I bought TrainSim Modeler so I could create custom content that I wanted/needed. Spent an inordinate amount of time learning as I went. Completed a few items and was accused of being untalented and/or lazy for not learning and using GMax instead.

The point is that I had the option to spend 3 months learning to use TSM to create crappy content when I could have spent 2 years learning to create crappy content with GMax. If I see something in the Warehouse I need I'll use it. Or if someone else uploads something I need, I'll use that, too. I'm not proud.

Why dont you people stop undermining how we use the game, and we wont always be trying to undermine how you use the game.. The game is made for all people to use. If you do not like people who use the 3D warehouse, than I shall get togeather with them, and we just wont release any more....We will continue to have fun with our games weather you guys have fun or not.... I cannot make the choice on your descision to constantly undermine people who use the game for what they use it for or have fun for you... You have to make that one yourself... I hope you choose to have fun with your game how you use it, instead of worrying about some guy who exported from 3D warehouse becuz he did not have time to make it himself or did not even know how, What ashame people... I am frowning upon those complaining more than you guys are upon people who use it....

I brought up the thread to bring up a point ... If everthing was created in Sketch Up ... soon your Trainz Game would come to a framerate killing "Standstill".

I brought up the thread to bring up a point ... If everthing was created in Sketch Up ... soon your Trainz Game would come to a framerate killing "Standstill".
Then it is your desicison not to use my exotic sportscars then... I do not mind you not using it, plz do not make us people who use sketchup look terrible.. Our intention for the game are not any less than yours, and that is too have fun...

This is true, which is why you have to know what you're doing, and most 3DWH users don't. I did notice in another thread that MSGSapper was listing polycounts, which helps a lot, although that doesn't solve the texture size issue.

Also, another side note: Seems most 3DWH modellers don't add nightmode. That really limits the usability of these models. It's not really that difficult.

This is true, which is why you have to know what you're doing, and most 3DWH users don't. I did notice in another thread that MSGSapper was listing polycounts, which helps a lot, although that doesn't solve the texture size issue.

Also, another side note: Seems most 3DWH modellers don't add nightmode. That really limits the usability of these models. It's not really that difficult.
So now I should put night mode in my ferrari's and porsches? I mean you guys need everything perfect, no wonder there are so many payware creators for trainz now.... If I was too busy worrying about how the models on my route dont have night mode, then I would have no fun using the game, but since I am not, I am to busy posting screenshots of my fun while you guys are killing people out of trainz becuz they dont have night mode, they use sketchup, they dont have this that and the other... Why not become unselective? There are so many assets you could use! Best part is, you never know what you can slap togeather when your having fun! Thanks to you guys, there are people who have great screenshots (Greater screenshots than you dream of having becuz your to busy crushing people) that do not post them here... Instead they go somewhere else so they do not worry about having to be crushed by the people who need a perfect game... Go play railworks if you want perfect...

So now I should put night mode in my ferrari's and porsches? I mean you guys need everything perfect, no wonder there are so many payware creators for trainz now.... If I was too busy worrying about how the models on my route dont have night mode, then I would have no fun using the game, but since I am not, I am to busy posting screenshots of my fun while you guys are killing people out of trainz becuz they dont have night mode, they use sketchup, they dont have this that and the other... Why not become unselective? There are so many assets you could use! Best part is, you never know what you can slap togeather when your having fun! Thanks to you guys, there are people who have great screenshots (Greater screenshots than you dream of having becuz your to busy crushing people) that do not post them here... Instead they go somewhere else so they do not worry about having to be crushed by the people who need a perfect game... Go play railworks if you want perfect...

Here's a concept - if you're going to do the job, do it right. Imagine that!

NM isn't applicable to everything but it helps make the stuff more usable, especially buildings. And lol if you think railworks is perfect; it's as far as possible from it. You're the one who should be playing it since you like half-a$$ed jobs.

Here's a concept - if you're going to do the job, do it right. Imagine that!

NM isn't applicable to everything but it helps make the stuff more usable, especially buildings. And lol if you think railworks is perfect; it's as far as possible from it.
And heres a concept to you: If it is so easy to put nightmode in the buildings, why dont you do it yourself?

Well if you get any content from, it will always be half-arsed according to you.. For me it is perfect...

Far from it; many great creators do the job right, whether they make it themselves or get it from 3DWH, myself included. No, it's mostly you.

Far from it; many great creators do the job right, whether they make it themselves or get it from 3DWH, myself included. No, it's mostly you.

I have better moral standards then you have... For content, I have some..

I know that I'll probably get flamed here, but here goes.

I don't have a problem with 3DWH stuff being uploaded to the DLS; however be honest, the DLS lists the uploader as the creator when in fact the uploader did not create the model. The description should at the very least state that the model is from the 3DWH to at least acknowledge that someone other than the uploader actually built the model. This would also be a way of warning the downloader that the content may be of high poly count. Taking a 3DWH model, created by someone else, and adding a config.txt file along with a screenshot is not creating.

Mike

I know that I'll probably get flamed here, but here goes.

I don't have a problem with 3DWH stuff being uploaded to the DLS; however be honest, the DLS lists the uploader as the creator when in fact the uploader did not create the model. The description should at the very least state that the model is from the 3DWH to at least acknowledge that someone other than the uploader actually built the model. This would also be a way of warning the downloader that the content may be of high poly count. Taking a 3DWH model, created by someone else, and adding a config.txt file along with a screenshot is not creating.

Mike
I could work with that... I do pay attention to poly count, most of my supercars have 40,000-120,000 polys

Here's a concept - if you're going to do the job, do it right.

This seems to be a concept absolutely unknown to the "importers". Sketchup models - obviously - are not conceived for use in Trainz; besides unnecessary high poly counts, they often use large numbers of textures.

An object I downloaded - which shall remain unnamed - has 8,000 polys, and uses 65 different textures. According to what stated by WindWalker and other N3V representatives, this amounts to 64x300 = 19,200 extra polys, making it a very inefficient object with a huge impact on FPS. Though I would have liked to add this asset to one of my routes, I deleted it as soon as I saw FRAPS indicating single-digit frame rates.

Nobody prevents a "creator" from modelling (or importing from Google Sketchup, or taking from some Free 3D archive :D) a 55-gal drum with 12,000 polys, no LOD and 32 textures, but this object is a frame killer, and I don't understand why saying so should be considered "snobbish" :D.

Back