Setting a path in TS12

Dome97

Hi all. Have been trying to create a session using ECML KX to Newcastle line. Ok, I can basically set up the stopping pattern, e.g. KX-Stevenage-Grantham-Doncaster etc but the AI always seems to default to the slowest path. I thought if I set it initially to the fast tracks it would stick there but oh no! It will divert to the slow tracks at the first opportunity :'( . My passengers hate me!

First question, is there a simple way to make a train follow the fastest path?
Secondly , is there *any* way to do the above? :) That is, without having to trawl through the whole line & add "via trackmarks" rules.

Hi Dom

Any solution will involve a bit of work to solve your problem. The easiest solution will probably be to set up the purple priority markers correctly on the route. There are quite a number on the route but many of them are set to the default value of 2. I would suggest setting all the ones on the fast lines to priority 1 with the slow lines set to 2 and the goods lines and sidings set to 3. Use the Priorityz driver command in your schedule to set the priority of each train with the express trains being set to 1, the local trains set to 2 and the goods and empty stock trains set to 3. The beauty of the Priorityz command is that the priority can be changed at any point in the trains schedule so, for example, a local train can be changed to priority 1 to allow it to traverse the double line priority 1 section over Welwyn viaduct and then switched back to priority 2 to force it to move back onto the slow lines when it approaches the four line section north of Knebworth.

The second possibility is to add many more trackmarks to Navigate via but you say you don't wish to do that.

The other solution would be to use one of the Path Set rules and their companion driver commands to force the trains onto the correct route but this would take more work than adding extra trackmarks. This is the method that I use as I believe that it is more prototypical to set the route up for the train and use an autodrive command to control the train. After all a train driver doesn't set the route up for his train so we shouldn't expect the AI driver to do it.

You can also use a mixture of all three with Path set commands being used for areas that can't be solved by trackmarks and priority markers.

If you need more information about any of the above then post back and I'll try to help further.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian. Many thanks for your reply. I am working my way through the manual(s) but your Train/Track priority tips have put me in a 'purple patch of popularity' with my (admittedly cheapskate!) passengers :D . Train priority has saved 17 minutes from KX to Stevenage alone! Thanks again.

Back