Trainz 2009 or Trainz 2010EE?

Bernard430

Qualified Witchdoctor
Hi!
I have been using Trainz 2006 for nearly 5 years now and it's definitely past its best days. And of course, Auran aren't supporting it anymore. So, I'm wanting an upgrade but wandering which to go for-Trainz 2009 or Trainz 2010 Engineers Edition?

I have looked at a few opinions on both of the games, and I'm still not too sure what to choose. 2010EE apparently needs quite a powerful system, although my friend said that 2009 was rather confusing and took time to get used to. I'm sure I can get around all these problems, but I what I really want to know is what people who have played both the games think, and what would be best the choice.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Bernard

PS:Out of interest, is Trainz 2006 content compaitble with Trainz 2009 and Trainz 2010EE? Thanks once again :)

Purely personal preference, having worked with 2004 up to tr12, but I have settled with tr2009 sp4 as the best. It has the practical developments of the later versions without the flannel that has come to characterize Trainz under N4K (or whatever).

Go for 2010 EE and patch it up to build 44088, you will have compatibility mode for older content but not multi player.
The 2006 assets, some will work and others will need modifying to run.

As said above,it depends on preference. TS2010 will take longer to get used to thanks to the layers feature, but TS2009 SP4 has it's own bugs.

Shane

As said above,it depends on preference. TS2010 will take longer to get used to thanks to the layers feature, but TS2009 SP4 has it's own bugs.

Shane

The trick with 2010 is to open the session layer and then switch to the route layer using the layers option. Everything you do is saved to route and session.
If you do something radical you can save route and make a new session.

Sounds reasonable - it may not be obvious to new users though, hence why I said it takes longer to get used to.

Shane

Wow guys, thanks for the quick response! I think I'm leaning towards Trainz 2010-sounds better and should also last that bit longer ;) Thanks for all your advice guys!
By the way, as @Fran1 said, how would you go about modifying TS2006 content (that needs modifying to work) to work with TS2010?

Cheers,
Bernard

There is a useful sticky thread in the TS2010 forum by gisa that covers this if needed. To be able to fix errors, you will need to know how to manage assets as well. (See my tutorial website if you are not sure on this - there is a link in my signature which will take you to my tutorials listing).

Shane

Sounds reasonable - it may not be obvious to new users though, hence why I said it takes longer to get used to.

Shane

It's the only way I've found to alter a route+session, otherwise it saves the route and a default session, not good when you've just re planted 100 miles of trackside weeds or trees.
Annoying thing is I did it last week, twice on the same route and it's only when you get to the save bit you realise what you've not done.

Why would you purposely go out and buy TS2009 (the inferior much rushed out buggy version of TS10, which was re-released just several months later) ?

Buy TS10 or TS12.

It seemed like all 3 versions were rushed up, and were prematurely slammed on the market, in the same 9 month period. (09, 10, 12)

Last edited:
I would definitely go with 2010 build 44088. The only thing that TS12 is good for is multiplayer and if I would have known what I know now, I would have stayed at 2010.

Back