My experience on the UMR route.

Madmacka

Good evening.

I have been playing on the UMR railroad with members on this forum.

However this evening I have felt the need to leave their session as of constant abuse to a minor (young person) and he has only had the session for about 2 hrs. (I will not name names at this point but will gladly do so to any auran personnel who would wish to investigate this further.)

The young person in question was asked to join teamspeak. However he stated that his mum said no to installing this new program on the machine. I was astonished at the response of members who for about 45 minutes or so constantly harassed him to download the program and questioning him further age etc. It was not until I asked them to leave him alone did they do so - for a little while at least.

Colourlight also asked them to leave him alone..... (So I am not alone in my thinking)

After about another 1/2 or so - several members began making fun and continued to question the young as to why he could not download the program.

He had already said no, this seriously should be enough. There are child protection internet laws afterall. As a child protection officer myself I cannot idly sit back and allow this.

I was thinking of getting this for my son to play, I doubt if i'll be doing that at least not with UMR.

On teamspeak I have witnessed (but not said anything) the systematic abuse given to other members, not only but as an example Robobert simply because they do not like him. Admittedly Robobert derails a few trains; as so many of the others have (myself included) but this in no way gives them the excuse to behave as they do. Calling him names and making fun of him. Or is it because he sounds different?? Just be careful if you are not liked.

Denkbr was also removed and banned for simply not understanding English - he is Russian. He was given an instruction! which he did not follow so he was removed.

The same applies to Geovany who was also banned for a short time.

When they were finally allowed to join (I took it upon myself to help them get into the game so that they could learn and operate on the route - without causing offence.)

Personally I have been shouted at for having a long train!!! Which I found rather amusing considering I am playing a Train game.

I was also told off for going passed a stop with empties (which I should of dropped) - irrelevant to the time constraints I had that day.

I would also suggest to anyone reading this that moving a shunter from one yard to another yard is forbidden even if there is a need for one. Petty to say the least.

All these rules (which are not clearly defined upon entry) in a session which on the front states "public session" and is considered "fun".

From my experience neither teamspeak (I appreciate Auran has no control over teamspeak) nor the actual session (which should be monitored) are either of these.

I have only had the game around a month or so and I do have to say I have never witnessed these events in the 20 years I have been playing online games.

I am extremely saddened by these events. Needless to say I shall not be re-joining UMR.

I also have see this as well and I myself yelled for no reason. I haven't debated on whether or not I will be rejoining UMR sessions. Hey madmacka you should come join my session I host every Friday on montana rail link and the teamspeak we use is very kid friendly we even have a younger member that does runs with us were a great group. we use this server now usually nobody is in it during the weekends just so you know. but we can have someone come help you out if you would like so. 108.91.138.12 and should say something like Virtual trainz as the name of the server. PM me if you have any questions

And I am deeply sorry to hear your bad experience with this.

In our defense, we did recommend that he learn the ropes and the route in single player, but he refused for reasons unstated. He acted like he already knew what he was doing, refused to listen to us, and then had no idea where he was, where he was going, or even where he could find rolling stock. At one point, I found him moving at speed on the wrong rail. (Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic.) He showed that he is not nearly ready for the UMR, the single largest route available for multiplayer, and would likely have freaked out at the strange movements of consists due to server lag (despite our warnings).

As for the TeamSpeak, the HTML asset by lewiscc65 does state the following: "Please join us on teamspeak so runs can be coordinated." That said, if the

The guys recommend making the Fun Run private and posting the password in TeamSpeak. I agree with this action as it allows us to ensure that everyone in the session can receive dispatch instructions in real time, without fiddling with a chat window that always lags unless it takes up half your screen. Requiring TeamSpeak also forces everyone to be connected at all times for this very reason - it's easier in-game to hide (not using) the chat window than it is to hide (not using) TeamSpeak.

I've been around a little while, both in Trainz and life. They'd probably yell and make fun of me too!;)

Hmmm, I suppose that counts me out from MP for this particular route since I'd rather not use TS as I actually find it detracts from my gaming experience. Too bad about the alleged abusive behavior towards someone unable to add a VOIP- and good for the parent(s) for caring enough. Good on you Madmacka for helping the person out. Cheers m8.

Kind regards,
Dave

edited for FFT

Friday night was the first time I joined Beattie's session, it was fun. I would also suggest that you join his session this week.

there was no abuse,,, he was asked to get team speak,,, now, we really don't know if his mum would let him get , but he was asking all kinds of questions, and where this was and that was,,, we told him what to do, but he said no,,,, i gave him the link to go d/l the maps adn he said he could not do that,,,, as for rules if you look in the dec of the session in your game it saids to get on team speak,,,,btw, they gave me a hard time when i started....in umr.

In response to Macka I largely agree with his comments concerning the 12 year old boy although although as I was not in the session for the whole of this distasteful episode I cannot collaborate everything Macka said. However what I witnessed was bad enough. I, in fact mentored him via ichat, explained a few of the rules and corrected him when he did something wrong. I found him to be both polite and responsive. He was a little upset by the remarks certain so called adults made. I must disagree, with some of Scottbe,s remarks. Yes you can learn quite a bit by going it alone before you join Fun Fun but not everything. You have to join Fun Run to learn the basic rules and procedures, The weird things that happen and how to counteract them and also learn how to interact with other players. Sadly nobody apart from myself was willing to take him to one side, so to speak, and teach him these things. Some people in the session developed a "wolf pack" mentality and were only too quick to point out the failings of a 12 year old boy. I find this to be a sad reflection of modern society. This is a good thread whiich mentioned a number of issues which I would to address seperately at a later time.

I, too was in the session when the young (age is immaterial) person joined us. My main (only?) issue with him, although he obviously knew very little about TS12, was that he was unwilling to let those of us who were trying to help do so. He was complaining about the chat lag so I suggested several times that he widen his chat window to eliminate the lag (it does work, BTW) because he didn't want it to take up his screen. In reality, it takes no more space than the driver command window and can occupy the same space. I made a (probably inappropriate but not abusive) comment on TeamSpeak about it and let it go so I could get back to business. I do appreciate colourlight taking him under his wing because he probably has more patience than I do. Young people deserve every opportunity to have fun and I hope to have my own grandson online some time soon. I am teaching him the ropes offline where it won't affect the rest of the group because I'm just polite that way.

As far as TeamSpeak goes, IMHO, there is an abundance chat which is not only inappropriate but totally unrelated to the session. During the operating sessions at my own model railroad club, one of the goals is to run the layout with as little chat as possible. As Dispatcher I have literally run a two-hour Friday night sessions with ten mainline cabs and six yard operators without saying more than ten or twelve sentences (less is more).

I feel that the loss of Madmacka (with or without TeamSpeak) will have a detrimental effect on the group because I appreciate his input and expertise with the route. Come on back, Mack!!

I feel better now.

There is no reason to treat people the way that some are treated there. If you're going to run a session that is open to all, then you should keep the language G-rated in case you have kids join. I've ran a large online racing community for 9 years and we have ages from 8 to 79 and have had parents comment to us how well we keep it for all ages. You have to remember, it might not be the only people on TS that might be listening in, someone's kids or even parents might be listening to what is coming out of the speakers.

Thank you for all your responses - I find it hard to see how you can justify such behaviour.

I think my point has been made and only hope that in future, measures are taken which will protect those who are deemed "different" whether age, gender, race or whatever. The truth is in real life we are all different but yet we are all the same.

You guys know from your experience with working with me on the UMR route, that when things are done in shall we say a way that includes all, with appropriate manners (from all sides) and teamwork. You can turn what is a train simulator into something which is so much more!!

I intend to find a route and build another comp for the purpose of being a 24/7 server. This shall be completed by the end of May. In the meantime I shall host whenever I can possibly manage.

Today I am running and hosting the A and SLT route and session.

kuid2:106007:100006:2

kuid2:106007:100008:1

Happy Rolling folks.

Just to add quickly, there is no special requirement to join teamspeak. Simply to be mindful and respect others ;)

Cheers Tom

Well that's just fantastic, I was really looking forward to getting involved in MP, but now I'm already too intimidated to try.

This is the last thing I expected from people with the patience and intelligence to play simulators.

Oh no, give it a try. There are other maps with people that will help you and you can have fun.
I,m hosting a session of UMR SUMMER rght now if you or anyone else wants to join. I,m at work for anther 4 hours but but I,ll be in the session by 11 pm UK Time. In the meantime feel free to have a look around the layout, grab a train etc! and maybe I,ll see you later.

In our defense, we did recommend that he learn the ropes and the route in single player, but he refused for reasons unstated. He acted like he already knew what he was doing, refused to listen to us, and then had no idea where he was, where he was going, or even where he could find rolling stock. At one point, I found him moving at speed on the wrong rail. (Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic.) He showed that he is not nearly ready for the UMR, the single largest route available for multiplayer, and would likely have freaked out at the strange movements of consists due to server lag (despite our warnings).

As for the TeamSpeak, the HTML asset by lewiscc65 does state the following: "Please join us on teamspeak so runs can be coordinated." That said, if the

The guys recommend making the Fun Run private and posting the password in TeamSpeak. I agree with this action as it allows us to ensure that everyone in the session can receive dispatch instructions in real time, without fiddling with a chat window that always lags unless it takes up half your screen. Requiring TeamSpeak also forces everyone to be connected at all times for this very reason - it's easier in-game to hide (not using) the chat window than it is to hide (not using) TeamSpeak.

1234kotas here in MY defense you guys kept on pressing me! :mad: So guys why do u do that?? :(

In response to Harry - you needn't worry we are not all like that. ;)

As a father of 3, I felt I really did need to say something about it.

My friend Colourlight is currently running a session on the UMR Summer Multiplayer <kuid:95512:100081>

and session UMR-TS12-Summer Ver 2.0 <kuid2:69116:100091:1>

As there are 2 sessions running presently you are free to go where you wish.

Kind Regards

Tom

Tell me I'm wrong!

From what I gather from reading thru dozens of posts,
all the assets installed in my install of TS12 must be
available on the DLS.

Well that's bad news. First, I have a number of assets
purchased from Jointed Rail. One asset from CloakedGhost.
And last but not least, a massive number of assets as a
result of the purchase of Marias Pass X from HP-Trainz.

None of those are available on the DLS.

Judging from the popularity of Jointed Rail along with
the communities response to Marias Pass X, there must
be a large number of users who have all those assets installed,
and more!

Does this mean all of us who installed purchased assets from
whomever is automatically disinfranchised from using any
multiplayer route and session?

I can easily understand the need for each route and session
to be identicle for use in multiplayer. I am having a hard time
undertanding why the need to exclude non DLS assets as long
as the needed assets reside in the users install database.

After all, there are well over 212,000 available assets of which I
have just over 50,000. I am sure my database does not match
any other users database. I have 528 assets of my own that I
have not uploaded to the DLS, and never will. Do those exlude
me from multiplayer since they do not reside on the DLS?

Having tried unsuccessfully to enter several different multiplayer
session, I alway get the error "Session Aborted" for none built-in
or DLS assets. To boot, it's likely to stay that way do to time
and money invested.

They're sure must be a very large number of users out there
with the same issues...

Regards - AL

Hi GP30fan.

I understand that some third party contents do conflict with ts12 multiplayer. However i do not know of which as I am rather new here myself.

I think it would be safe to say that if using only DLS content issues faced are reduced.

Try downloading the UMR route along with session 3.0. Give it I go you never know ;) See above posts for asset numbers, ty.

Hope to see you soon

Tom

Back