Puffing Billy, Menzies Creek Museum Australia.

shadowarrior

N3V Games
Puffing Billy, located in the Dandenong Ranges in Victoria, Australia, is an operating narrow gauge heritage railway, running between Belgrave and Gembrook on the former Victorian Railways (VR) narrow gauge railway (one of four that used to operate in Victoria). At Menzies Creek, the first major station after Belgrave, the Puffing Billy Preservation Society (PBPS) has built up a museum, showcasing narrow gauge railways from Victoria, Australia, and around the world. This museum contains examples of locomotives from the sugar cane fields of Queensland (2ft gauge), a South African gold mining locomotive (The Sub Nigel Company, Orstein and Koppel built 2ft6in gauge), an ex Alishan forrest railway shay (2ft6in gauge), a stationary boiler to power various engines, and many more exhibits.

A number of years ago, this museum was closed to the public for maintenance. Recently, the PBPS has started a full redevelopment of the museum, the first stage of which will see a large enclosed shed built to house these exhibits under cover, as well as new trackwork to allow access to this shed.

Currently, the site is being prepared for the new shed to be constructed, with the ground having been rolled flat using an Aveling and Porter steam roller. Construction is expected to start fairly soon.

Few images of the location.

Museum site

Steam Roller

Last edited by a moderator:
Sensational!
I lurv Puffing Billy.
One of the most exciting things to do as a child.
40 years on.. thank you beloved Aunty Evi. r.i.p.

Currently, the site is being prepared for the new shed to be constructed, with the ground having been rolled flat using an Aveling and Porter steam roller. Construction is expected to start fairly soon.
Even before seeing that sentence, I was about to ask (just as a joke) were you going to use the steam roller to flatten the ground, for the rebuilding of the museum.

By the way, I believe this was (or is) a model railway connected with the Puffing Billy somewhere. Was that at Menzie's Creek or elsewhere?

And also, why is the edit option turned off in this section?

Back