Idyllic English country branch terminus: Asburton

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
As you'll see from the UK screenshots thread, I've been super-detailing Razor's lovely Ashburton route which is basically a one board layout depicting the well known country terminus on the GWR South Devon branch line from Totnes. I've upgraded the track and a lot of the detail as I have a fairly powerful PC, while retaining the landscaping, terrain etc. To distinguish it from Razor's original, I've re-titled it 'Asburton'.
Many thanks to Razor for creating this layout that inspired me to add the detailing.

Screenshots setting the scene to follow....

Paul

EDIT: forgot to add, warning: these are large format screenshots (mods: could you add that to the thread title?)

Last edited:
Overview of the station area:
Asburton01.jpg

From rail height, past the small signal box:
Asburton02.jpg

Further overview, note coal depot in the good yard to the left:
Asburton03.jpg

From the 'town' end of the terminus, showing the notable overall roof this branch station boasted:
Asburton04.jpg

Close up from the buffer stops end showing station area under the roof. There's quite a lot of activity going on for a sleepy branchline terminus!
Asburton05.jpg

Two pics showing the station from the platform ends. The trainspotters are perpetually waving even though there's no train!
Asburton06.jpg

Asburton07.jpg

High street and station entrance plus the goods platform next to the stone-built goods shed:
Asburton08.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to add some train movements tomorrow.

Paul ;)

They are really great screenshots, I love the way you have captured the atmosphere of the town and all the goings on around, the trackwork looks fantastic, I love the way you have mixed the heavily used clean rails, and the not used at all rusty rails, the terminus station looks very active and clean, everything about this route says quality, I hope you release this one day, I think a lot of trainzers would have many happy hours with this route.

Keep up the great work, and well done on a superb job

Joe Airtime

Simply gorgeous! I like everything about it except that I didn't make it! Wonderful job Paul!

Thanks for these replies. I must point out that the route already exists on the Download Station: http://www.auran.com/TRS2004/DLS_downloadasset.php?DownloadID=224708 It's by Razor and is well worth downloading and adapting as people desire. Note that the track used on the DLS version is by Trunda available from: http://www.trainzdepot.net/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=284&loc=English. I've upgraded this track to the TS09 bullhead track. Finally, note the station's overall roof is formed in my version by multilple uses of the barn by shortline2 :- Barn, Shed 2p, 5x13m w/openings (white boards & shingle roof) walls only,<kuid2:77573:230493:1>

Thanks again to Razor for creating this route!

Paul

Razor did a great job on the landscaping! It's always a pleasure to see the "super detailers" at work though, they are able to really finish off a route that had to be made for lower specs for general release.

Ed, just seen your message, praise indeed! Many thanks, although, once again, all due respect to Razor as original creator of this layout.

Now, time for some trains on this layout:

The early morning 'local' heads out of the station up the branck consisting of 14xx tank loco and autocoach:
Asburton10.jpg

Beneath a glorious cloudless sky, the branch pannier tank, 3669, has been shunting vans on the siding that covers the coal depot and Tucker's Maltings and Fertliizers. It won't be off up the branch until the afternoon.
Asburton17.jpg

The morning 'cross country' working hoves into view, about to give a bit of a fright to the two unaware schoolboys!
Asburton13.jpg

In the care of 51xx class 6109, the three coach cross country train brakes hard as it approaches the station...
Asburton14.jpg

Asburton15.jpg

...before pulling in smoothly to the buffer stops and underneath the overall roof.
Asburton16.jpg

Next, turntable manoevres!

Paul

51xx class on the turntable

The real Ashburton branch simply relied on 14xx tank engines and autocoaches in its latter days, but Ashburton was at one time equipped with a turntable, so I've restored this in my version to allow for some more interesting movements (and instituted so-called 'cross country' trains which never existed on the prototype!)

14xx tank 1474 has been coaled and watered on the locoshed siding and is ready to reverse back onto coaching stock for the next 'local' on platform 2. In the background, you can see that 51xx class 6109 has run round its coaching stock and reversed back into platform 1.
Asburton19.jpg

Now that the 14xx class has moved off the locoshed siding, 51xx class 6109 reverses out of the station heading towards the turntable.
Asburton18.jpg

Looking up the branch from the platform end, you can see the small locoshed, built from local stone, with the equally small branch turntable before it. Now the trainspotters have something to wave at!
Asburton21.jpg

6109 gingerly reverses onto the turntable...
Asburton22.jpg

...and is then turned. The loco wil take on water and coal before reversing back onto its coaching stock.
Asburton23.jpg

While 6109 is occupied on the locoshed siding, 14xx class 1474 steams out with the late morning 'local'.
Asburton24.jpg

Asburton25.jpg

Asburton26.jpg

Asburton27.jpg

And disappears off up the branch...
Asburton28.jpg

Next, morning freight!

Paul

Last edited:
Morning goods

Key goods on the branch includes coal and oil, but most importantly agricultural produce, particularly cattle.

The morning goods is a typical consist with an oil tanker, vans and 16 ton coal wagons in the care of '2251' class 2252.
Asburton29.jpg

Asburton30.jpg

2252 approaches the station and heads for the goods yard.
Asburton31.jpg

Asburton32.jpg

First port of call is the goods shed to be followed by extensive shunting of the wagons ready for departure later in the afternoon. The coaching stock for the 'cross country' stands on platform 1 awaiting 6109's return from the coaling platform on the locoshed siding. It too will depart later in the day.
Asburton33.jpg

That's all for now. Maybe some more tomorrow!

Paul

yes it is and well done to Paulsw2 for finishing off what my computer couldn't. there's another small route on the way called Windrush coming soon.

Brilliant work......as it's basically a one board layout i would like to see an overhead map screenie.

Love layouts on confined spaces and like to see how the space is utilised.....very well done.

Thanks for the feedback, it's all encouraging. Apologies for lack of screenshots, I always find them fiddly and tedious to do, but I'll try and get some more up soon.

@ hotgrove - I'll try and get an overhead map screenie up tomorrow. It is all very packed in!

@ razor - look forward to seeing Windrush. Is it also based on a prototype? Windrush Square is actually at the end of my street in London, so the name has a certain resonance!

Paul

Hi Razor - just downloaded Windrush, but it came out for me without track, scenery or anything other than a bit of terrain and some textures. There's also a missing kuid: <kuid:478358:100052>. Is it something with my CMP or did it get chewed up in the uploading process? It's a shame as it looked very promising in the screenshots.

Paul

hi paulsw2 i dont think anybody else has had problems the kuid:478358:100052 is a texture by red_shark.

Back