Need advice on Content Manager features? This may help.

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if you feel this should be in a different place, or stickied, please go ahead and make the change.

As part of my Guides section on my tutorial website, I'm putting together a Content Manager guide on how to deal with various things in Content Manager.

This is an ongoing project, as I will be adding new pages as soon as I can, and some pages may change at short or no notice.

There may be small differences between the Content Manager versions so certain information may not apply.

This can be accessed at http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/content-manager-guides.

Any comments etc. are welcomed. As this is an ongoing project, I am also open to suggestions.

If you want me to advise on a particular feature of Content Manager, please check if it is already on there first.

If it is not, please reply to this thread or PM me, and I will add it as soon as I can.

Shane

Shane, quick question if you don't mind.

What is the 'Today' tab for ?
It appears to list everything I downloaded this morning, plus a lot of other stuff on
the dls that I've never looked at.

Am I right in assuming that the other stuff is what creators have uploaded today ?

Ah - the Today tab.

The Today tab has two functions, depending on what search criteria you add.

For Local assets, this will show content that was installed or modified today.

For Download Station assets, this will show content that was added to the Download Station today.

Shane

P.S. Are you OK if I add information regarding that to the Content Manager guide?

Fine by me Shane, it's your guide, the more info you can put together, the easier
it will be for people like me to find their way around this CM thing. :D

I have updated the Content Manager guide. It's still a work in progress, as I still need to add details on the tabs and the Content Manager Settings box.

As always, suggestions and comments are welcome - no personal attacks though.

Shane

As always, suggestions and comments are welcome - no personal attacks though.
Shane
What an odd thing to say Shane, have you been had recently then?
One small piece of advise would be to have a think about getting Trainz 12 for yourself mate, with all the discounts available now it's cheap as chips. Then you really could open up a multi Trainz clinic.
Good on you Shane, keep up the good work. :wave:

I may do in order to test my route in, as well as adding Multiplayer help to my tutorial website.

The reason I made that comment is in light of other users getting personally attacked occasionally - covering my back, you could say.

Shane

Hello,

Can you tell me how to stop the asset database updating almost every time I select Content from the Main Menu in either TS10 or TS12? It only seems to have been happening in the last couple of weeks. It's a real pain in the backside as it effectively ties me up for about 30 minutes while it goes through my large databases.

Regards, Paul

Hey Paul. When you close Trainz, two processes tend to linger: TrainzUtil.exe and TADDaemon.exe. You need to wait for BOTH processes to run their course before attempting to shut down your computer. This can take up to 2 minutes depending on your computer and security settings. To make sure that both process are finished, check in the Processes tab on Task Manager. Be sure to sort the Name column to make the processes easier to find.

There are two likely reasons for this.

Number 1 is that TADDaemon has been forcefully closed - this can happen if you end the process using Task Manager, or if you shut down your system too quickly.
Number 2 is corrupt assets. The asset involved can vary.

Shane

Thanks guys, that may be the problem. It probably happens when I shut things down last thing at night. As the databases get bigger, I guess I have to leave more time for shutdown.

Regards, Paul

Hey Paul. When you close Trainz, two processes tend to linger: TrainzUtil.exe and TADDaemon.exe. You need to wait for BOTH processes to run their course before attempting to shut down your computer. This can take up to 2 minutes depending on your computer and security settings. To make sure that both process are finished, check in the Processes tab on Task Manager. Be sure to sort the Name column to make the processes easier to find.

Paul, I have had that problem before as well but what I did was select "Options" from the Startup screen. Then click on the "Developer" tab and place a check in "Show database process window." From now on when you start Trainz a DOS black window will open and show you what TrainzUtil.exe is doing and if you are adding Content then another (or many) DOS windows will open for TADDaemon.exe. When you exit Trainz just watch until the DOS box(es) disappear and you know your OK. :)

Cheers,

Derek

Back