Full Listing of my tutorials as of 20/03/2012

Shane,, would you know how to turn the Mars light on on VMDs AT&SF F-unit? I used to know, was out of Trainz for a while, and forgot how to do it,, I remember I could turn them on and off indepently of the regular headlight.
Thanks, hoboron

I was at the thread entitled "Switch Latern Texture Errors" and I could not find the "Strip Textures" feature for PM2IM. I have the same problem as frodosquez had, yet it seems more difficult then what it looks like based on the comments on the thread. Can you somehow make a YouTube video showing how to fix the problem? The thing is that I'm more of a 'visual' person, meaning I need to see how to do something instead of just reading how to do it. I need pictures of how to fix the problem, step by step, for me to understand it.

Shane,, would you know how to turn the Mars light on on VMDs AT&SF F-unit?
Use the pantograph button to turn it on or off, or you can just press the 'end' key. Some locomotives with the Mars light require you to push the '1' button to turn the Mars light on, but you need a numberpad in order to not go into the interior view whenever you push the '1' button. These can be purchased at your local electronics store. I don't have to worry about that because my computer has a 'built-in' numberpad.

The reason why you cannot find that option is because it has changed names in the later versions of PM2IM - it is now known as 'Open IM Files' (it's in the same place though - the Options menu)

I will see (if I get chance to) if I can create a guide on it.

Shane

Good Morning Shane.

Do you have a tutorial on how to merge routes, etc ...?

I ask so when folks ask this of me I can just direct them to such a link!

Thanks in advance!!!
King Regards
Ish

Hi Ish,

I haven't currently got one but I can create one - it may take a bit of time though. Keep an eye on the OP as I will update it when it's ready.

Until TS12 SP1 is released though, I'm not advising TS12 users to attempt merging larger routes due to a CTD (Crash to Desktop) bug.

Shane

Hi Ish,

I haven't currently got one but I can create one - it may take a bit of time though. Keep an eye on the OP as I will update it when it's ready.

Until TS12 SP1 is released though, I'm not advising TS12 users to attempt merging larger routes due to a CTD (Crash to Desktop) bug.

Shane

Hi Shane,

ok -- I will pass on that message!!!

Thanks
Ish

No problem - only thing I will say is that the tutorial will be mainly for TS2009 SP4/TS2010/TS12, due to the layers option (and since TS12 is my main version nowadays).

I will add information though regarding earlier versions if I'm able to.

Shane

Hello shane, hope I am in the correct place for some help?... I am running TS12, and have a small problem with Hawes Junction Sessions,...all maps show identifying info. i.e. turnouts,junctions, etc. I think it is the same info. as listed in the string-table in the config. file,..this info. is usually presented in quite acceptable small letters and numbers,... in my case a few of the info. items are very very large indeed, not all of them but sufficient to spoil the enjoyment,.. can these info items be reduced to the standard small size ? or indeed deleted ? I wondered if deleting the appropriate item in the string-table would eliminate it from the driver screen ? but am uncertain about this, any help you can supply would be very much appreciated, regards

Oldie - The problem is that the font size on some signals and station name boards is too large. As a temporary measure clearing the name from the asset on the route in surveyor by using the ? button should work. A better method would be to edit the problem assets in CM by modifying the font size in the config.txt file or adding the font tag with a suitable size. This will permanently correct the oversized names althought it means the asset will be locally modified and not be available for multiplayer.

Good Morning Shane,

Do any of your tutorials discuss on how to increase the virtual memory for trainz?

Since I have not done this in ages, I forgot --- I figure I ask you before hunting down the info elsewhere!

Thanks
Ishie

Not as yet, but I will see what I can do. Basically, it involves changing Windows settings, and can have odd results if changed reasonably.

Shane

Not as yet, but I will see what I can do. Basically, it involves changing Windows settings, and can have odd results if changed reasonably.

Shane

Yeah, I know how virtual memory works via windows and how to manipulate the settings, Shane. --- But the old train had a readme file, which these settings can be done -- that's what I am looking for here with T12 -- Since it's been such a long time since T04 I can't recall! I figure I drop the question here in case you have come across such info before!

Thanks Shane -- see you later -- breakfast time here!
Ishie :wave:

Indeed - that would be the trainzoptions file, but the switch involved has been obsoleted in TS12 due to users misunderstanding it's purpose.

Shane

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks.. installed 2012 then sp1 and then the hotfix... and one by one my loco's vanished.. your " fix" worked... eg: black.tga not a unique colour .. i have to do this on each asset which is a pain .. but at least it's working !!! Thanks a millions!!

Sorry for this, but your PMs are full...

I updated to Windows 7 (from XP) - I installed Trainz to C:/Trainz/TS12, I ran your "Set Permissions Tool" on that folder.

Did I miss anything? Are there any other steps that need to be taken? I'm getting the odd behavior from Trainz that I never saw in WinXP - CM locking up, Driver and Surveyor taking FOREVER to load models, etc., Had an asset I just downloaded show "open for edit" (nothing new there, but) and I can't "revert" it... "Can't save route to read only file" pops up now and then.

I just want to make sure I'm not running afoul of something new in Windows "training wheels"

And... is there any reason that I DON'T have an "enable accelerated hardware texture compression" check box?

missingcheckbox_zps5629a2f6.jpg

Last edited:
Back