Tutorial: How to Make a Tunnel

jayholland

Content Creator
I have had a number of requests for assistance with building tunnels from scratch, rather than using pre-made ones, so I have put together this brief tutorial on how to do it.

Start by laying your track on the baseboard, ignoring the hill and curving the track if you want a curved tunnel. Even if your tunnel is to be straight, make sure there is at least one spline point on the track which is to be inside it. There are special dark tunnel tracks available, but I have used plain track for this example.

t0.jpg

Still ignoring the hill, select the tunnel lining of your choice and lay that to the same curve as the track. I usually lay it slightly to one side of the track, then move it into place afterwards. Again, make sure it has a spline point 'inside' the tunnel.

t2.jpg

Now you need to make holes in the baseboard so your tunnel can pass through the hill. Use a 'dighole' to remove the grid square at each end of the tunnel. I use Andi06's 'AJS Dighole' KUID 122285:1010:1 It helps when laying the track to position it so that it enters and exits the hill in the centre of a grid square, so only one square each end needs to be removed.

t3.jpg

Now switch to wireframe view and open the tracks menu. Use the 'Get Vertex Height' tool to select the vertex height of the track spline closest to the entrance to the tunnel (but outside it). Then select the 'Apply Vertex Height' tool and click on each of the track spline points inside the tunnel. This levels the track, passing it through your digholes. If your tunnel is on a gradient, do the same thing, but using the gradient tools instead.

t4.jpg

Now switch to the splined objects menu and do the same to the tunnel lining. Then make any necessary fine adjustments to the track and lining.

t6.jpg

Now switch back to normal view, select the portal of your choice and place it. Adjust the portal and lining for a snug fit.

t7.jpg

Now you need to fill in or disguise the gaps. Tweak the terrain (you may have to adust portal and lining again). The main gap over the top of the portal can be covered with a grass or asphalt spline plane. Cliff splines can also be used at the sides.

t8.jpg

Fill any remaining gaps with bushes or other scenery items. Job done.

t9.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jay. I'm starting to work on tunnels and had no idea how to fill in the gaps left for the holes. Now I have a better idea of how to do it!

Thanks, J, that is now very clear. The screenshots help a lot, especially for those of us who did not know what a 'dighole' was. Also, I almost never think of using wireframe mode and I see now that it is almost indispensable for this.

'Good work! Thanks.

Peter.

Adjust tracks so that they are aproximatly in the center of the bottom plane of the dighole 1x1
Screen_003-24.jpg

Adjust the Tunnel Portal just so that it covers up the bottom, outrmost plane of the dighole
Screen_004-20.jpg

You will have to tug up/down (using radius set at minimum) on the the 2 upper corners of the dighole 1x1 plane, so that it just touches the top portion of the Tunnel Portal

Placing Twees and Gwass you will cover up a multitude of sins
Screen_042-1.jpg

Tunnel3_1 voie by Fred24

Last edited:
Back