Trams again?

Thanks in no small part to yourself!

@BidMod - I've restarted the Westhaven Routes thread (with a few pictures) in Freeware Announcements. Hope this helps you out...

@WileeCoyote - There are quite a few German (and other European) trams around. Are you looking for modern or older trams? Try some of these links:
http://www.trsbingen.de/php/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?catid=4 (registration required)
http://www.tramtrainz.net/
http://www.barowa.tubaza.net/PTram/index.php

Also check out the work of Cosey and Denis_Fr on the DLS...

And also Modula City (also payware).

Paul

I am looking for trams from shortly before the 1914-1918 to right before the reunification of West Germany and East Germany

WileeCoyote

Last edited:
Since there seems to be a renewed interest in trams recently, I've rushed out the Tramshed section of my new site - Even the homepage isn't finished yet (later this week, hopefully).

As you can see, it isn't that special, but it means people can check the progress of the skins I've decided to do. There are no files hosted here - DLS only for my stuf.​

It's me again

Reading all these postings makes me feel like I'm playing with the big boys at last!

I received lots of advice on my other posting (I want to play with trams), but I have a long way to go yet and am still stumbling on the basics.

(Paul) Paulzmay, mentioned the 'left hand rule' for traffic, I can't get my head round this, been playing with it for a few hours but, just when I think I've got it - in surveyor, cars run in one direction avoiding trams but when I go to driver mode, not a single vehicle appears on the road no matter how long I wait.

Does anyone know of a simple layout I can download which demonstrates this concept? After all a picture is worth a thousand (make that a million with inflation), words.

Ken
------------
Bewildered but happy - nurse has hidden the scissors again!

Ken,

I've had this problem too at times. I'm not quite sure what causes it, but there are one or two ways to help the situation...

Firstly, traffic is only generated in Driver at the end of splines, not usually when they join. The exception to this seems to be as they load when you move around the route. Also, bear in mind that not all road splines generate traffic (this property can be used to your advantage when designing one way roads and dual carriageways). Traffic volumes can be increased by converging two roads at the edge of the map so that all cars join one route.

Secondly, I wonder if Trainz tends to reduce the volume of traffic if frame rates are low - I've found that I seem to get least traffic when my somewhat underpowered machine is struggling. This is only a theory - has anyone else any theories?

As for a simple route that demonstrates these principles, I really don't know. My Westhaven Trams is a good demonstration of the basics (crossings, dual carriageways, one way streets and trams sharing wth traffic), but although not large in size, it's very detailed, and uses very large amounts of content. Surfside trams by NormP is an excellent route, but I don't think it has traffic (correct me if I'm wrong). Can anyone else list any suitable tram routes?

Paul

Hello
This is my first in the forums, but I have been a Trainz member for a long time now. I am currently working on two more modern routes for trams/light rail. I was wondering if anyone had any idea where I could get any more modern sets of trams other than the boston ones. They are good but I am finding the controls give it a higher top end speed than is realistic. Am I posting in the right topic? Are there any other ways around this?

Many thanks

Steve

Sleaze (great username BTW),

Can I refer you to post 14 in this thread? I've given some links there, and don't forget Cosey and Denis_fr on the DLS...

Hope to see some shots of your routes in the future.

Paul

Sleaze (great username BTW),

Can I refer you to post 14 in this thread? I've given some links there, and don't forget Cosey and Denis_fr on the DLS...

Hope to see some shots of your routes in the future.

Paul

Many thanks for the help. I will be posting some pictures once they are a little more complete. One is about half done and the other is very early in progress.

Did you know?

Hi Guys,

Following all the excellant advice I'm begining to see how things are nailed together in surveyor, the help from Paul and others on the 'left hand rule' is now well ingrained.

I just made an interesting (to me anyway) discovery, others may already know this.

My layout includes as well as trams & trains, some canals, I discovered that the Tram Reverser created by Andi06 will work just as well on driveable boats (Driveboats by Barry Wright for example), this adds another element in canal basins for, dry docking and general boat movements, could be used in canal winding pools too.

Ken
(Still bewildered but less so)

Hi Guys,

Following all the excellant advice I'm begining to see how things are nailed together in surveyor, the help from Paul and others on the 'left hand rule' is now well ingrained.

I just made an interesting (to me anyway) discovery, others may already know this.

My layout includes as well as trams & trains, some canals, I discovered that the Tram Reverser created by Andi06 will work just as well on driveable boats (Driveboats by Barry Wright for example), this adds another element in canal basins for, dry docking and general boat movements, could be used in canal winding pools too.

Ken
(Still bewildered but less so)

First mention I have noticed on the new forum of canals and I never did manage to animate the horses legs with the horse drawn narrowboats and barges and gmax. (See my last scenery for drivable gaff rig sailing ships, narrow boats and barges and horse drawn transport).

But water under the bridge, so to speak, for me with Trainz.

Barry

:)

Hi all,

Before I nod offline, has anyone made any sessions for Westhaven Trams (Other than Paul and Tstead)? I downloaded the route earlier in the week (a masterpiece it is too), but to really exploit it I wonder has anyone made a session that runs in full AI control as a sort of "demo"?

For those interested in the Crich collection, I might get some work done over Easter, but if not they'll not be released before summer (except Leeds 180 - already out). Apologies, but life needs to come first I'm afraid.

Hi all,

Before I nod offline, has anyone made any sessions for Westhaven Trams (Other than Paul and Tstead)? I downloaded the route earlier in the week (a masterpiece it is too), but to really exploit it I wonder has anyone made a session that runs in full AI control as a sort of "demo"?

For those interested in the Crich collection, I might get some work done over Easter, but if not they'll not be released before summer (except Leeds 180 - already out). Apologies, but life needs to come first I'm afraid.

BidMod - You're in luck! I'm working on a largely automatic session for Westhaven Trams as we speak. This will have a much larger variety of trams (including many of Motorman1066's Brisbane trams) and have an evening / night theme (and probably horrible weather!). I've released some preliminary screens in the screenshot forum in the "Return to Westhaven" thread.
I would be more than happy for anyone else to release sessions for this route - I'd love to see them!
And thanks for your kind words regarding the route...:eek:

Paul

I think after me and Paul hijacked Klinger's thread to talk about a tram skin for Westhaven we should resurrect this thread. :)

Here's the skin. As always, click for a bigger version.

Klinger: You may have your thread back now :D

A bit off topic, but tram/trolley related none the less. Boston's MBTA has officially retired the original Boeing LRVs that displaced the old PCCs back in 1976. They are replaced with Breda-Type IV cars from Italy. Last weekend I had an opportunity to ride on both types, and I like the new ones because of the huge picture windows and the smooth ride. There are some issues with them, and hopefully the T has worked these out - like jumping tracks in the tunnels due to the really tight curves near Tremont and Boylston and in and around Park Street stations.

If anything, I won't miss the old Boeings. They had a lot to be desired even when they first came out. They were clunky and a bit cramped besides, they replaced the well-worn and trusy old PCCs that made the Boston Green line special.

John

Hi John,
Thanks for the information. Kinda reinforces the notion that nothing lasts forever.......................

It's great when something better comes along though.

Update:

tramsathavenroadwn2.jpg

Not pictured is the makings of an open-top bogie tram - I'll make a version both with and without adverts. The non-advert version is nearly finished. I've also made a version of the four-wheeler with a darker paint-job. Now I'll take a break to do some coursework, but I'll get these uploaded shortly (except Leeds 180 which is already there).

EDIT: The DLS isn't working at the moment, so I'll upload them tomorrow. :(

Last edited:
Open Top Bogie Car with adverts

Hi, Bidmod,
Not sure how far you have got with the above but if you download my "novelty" Christmas tram, you will find the texture that may help to identify which areas are those you use for adverts and "system" (Westhaven?).
Perhaps you are already aware of this, so " better to have your attention drawn to something twice than not at all":)

Regards, Alan

Thanks Alan; I didn't think of that - noted for further projects.

What I did was to put a shape on the texture on each panel, then load the tram up in TRS to see where it fitted.

The DLS appears to be working fine now so I'll upload the first pair of trams now (the four-wheelers). I've also created a third based on the scheme of this first pair. There are subtle differences between them all. The third is designed as a "modern replica", thus allowing a faster top speed. The limitation now is that the trolley pole wouldn't cope with higher speeds.

The bogie trams may follow later this week (numbered four onward).

BidMod.

EDIT: since writing, the DLS has died. Oh well...

Last edited:
Finally, they've been uploaded. They're waiting to be approved, but there are no errors I can see.

They should be available to both '04 and '06 users, patched to SP4. I think they would work with the passenger features patch only, but I haven't tested them so I don't know.

Back