Private Messages-Have Exceeded 50 Alowable Stored Messages

cascaderailroad

If you copy/paste your important, irreplaceable, stored personal messages ... and paste them in a NotePad file that you name: Trainz Personal Messages ... Then you can delete all your Forum stored Personal Messages ... freeing things up totally.

The links you save will not be parsed (underlined) ... but you can later copy paste them in the forum and hit preview, or paste them in another program, and regain the underlined links.

There is another option.

When in Private Messages, tick the ones you want to keep, then click the dropdown labelled 'Selected Messages (x)' (X=amount of selected messages). There are three download options - CSV (spreadsheets),XML, and TEXT.

Shane

I download my private messages in XML format. My private message folder stays close to full :)o) so I have to often download some messages to free up space. As a result, I have a lot of XML files containing private messages on my computer. The forum software names the files with the date they were downloaded, so I may have to sort through multiple files just to find the archived PM I'm looking for.

I'm not sure what good it does for the messages to be in XML or CSV format since there isn't a program to view these in more readable format that I know of. I have thought about writing a Java program that could parse and display the private messages contained in the XML files in such a more readable manner; if there is interest in such a program, then I'll see what I can do and host it on MediaFire or somewhere.

Regards,

Zachary.

Strangely enough, my development environment can support parsing of XML files. Perhaps I should investigate further.

Shane

Feel free Shane. It's been a while since I looked at Java, so I'm not sure if it has any built-in functions for parsing XML files. The IDE that I use is NetBeans, which is a great and useful program.

Regards,

Zachary.

I will have a look tomorrow (GMT). If I can work out how .NET handles XML parsing, I will try developing a utility for it.

Shane

EDIT: I've got a version of Netbeans on my external hard drive.

50 posts is really a terrible limit when you factor in that sent mail counts too. Essentially it's 'maximum, 25 PMs' which is ridiculous. I'd argue that FCT holders should get extra (actually, lock people with no copy of trainz registered down to 25, registered but no FCT to 100 or so, and FCT to 250), but then it'd likely only be used to justify raising the cost of a FCT :n:

Well Shane, if you release such a program, I'm downloading it. :)

One feature such a program could have that might be nice is where it could combine multiple private message XML files into one file. That would make things easier if you had a lot of seperate XML files containing archived PM's to sort through just to find a particular PM. Just something I would look into implementing if I started writing a program for this stuff in Java.

@NikkiA: Yeah, it would be nice if the private message limit was higher.

Regards,

Zachary.

Understood. I personally might take a little while to write one just because I might start needing to get a round tuit! ;)

Back