Forum now very difficult to read

ingha

Please revert to black letting on the forum.

I don't know about others, but I find the light and slightly darker blue very hard to read or differentiate.

Ingha

If it something important, try crtl + zoom, will zoom the page for a clearer view. another option is to use Arial Black for writing.

Some "art major" decided on the colors. Imagine if real paper documents looked like this stuff. Allow the Customer to change color scheme. It is like viewing thru a fog!!

There's nothing wrong with current colors.

Maybe your monitor screen is too dark or too light.

Always use the maximum screen resolution of your monitor for a perfect sharp text.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with current colors.

Maybe your monitor screen is too dark or too light.

Always use the maximum screen resolution of your monitor for a perfect sharp text.

The lettering is too light.

This is the only forum I visit that is hard to read. All the others use a darker blue.

Harold

Hmm, I can't really say I dislike the current settings here. Allthough the font isn't pitch black, I think the contrast with the background is more then enough to read without problem.
Note that most if not all of the LCD screens sold these days come by default with max contrast setting so they look sharp and crisp in the shop. Maybe it's time to play with your settings somewhat.
My Samsung Syncmaster has for picture: Brightness 68, Contrast 39, Sharpness 60, the last two had 100 as setting off factory.

Greetings from snowcovered Amsterdam,

Jan

:cool: In Windows Explorer, go to your tabs bar & click on Page/Zoom and select 150%. You will not loose anything from view as the page will morph into whatever resolution perfectly.

You can also do this holding the Ctrl-key and rotating you mouse wheel forward.

Right click on your tabs bar and enable the Status Bar and at the bottom right corner you can see the page size. Click on that and the page automatically goes between 100%, 125% and 150%. Mine opens the page at 110%.

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.

A forum is there to be read, not to look pretty in pastel colours. I cannot understand why something that was readable without tiring the eyes and had no problems has now been made tiring and difficult and draws complaints from at least half those who have replied.

Please change back to black lettering.

Ingha

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions.

A forum is there to be read, not to look pretty in pastel colours. I cannot understand why something that was readable without tiring the eyes and had no problems has now been made tiring and difficult and draws complaints from at least half those who have replied.

Please change back to black lettering.

Ingha

I fully agree. There is no rational reason for this visual style.

Hi All

There actually is... It's basically the default vBulletin style, with some minor changes to include Trainz based logos, etc. The actual colours, though, are the default. As has been said though, the forums are a work in progress, and will be improve over time.

Zec

Hard to read (even zoomed in), too cartoonish, etc & etc.

Hey wait-a-minute, aren't they going back to a similar forum style when the product first came out? Why?
Because on this forum, the tags aren't visible, and if you go back towards a bolded word for example, you other words are also bold, unless you press Alt+B. This is similar to when the forums first started.

Edit: When I pressed Submit Reply, for some reason, it just previewed the post.
Edit: It has an option of Rate this thread.
They should have on this forum rate (or have a poll) this new forum look.

Last edited:
Already been stated that this is a work in progress and using the default forum display, which if you have ever used vBulletin this is, hopefully they are just getting the basic functions working properly before adding the other stuff and changing the colours. It's a newer version of the software so probably best to get it working first before tweaking the dislikes and missing bits!

Personally I don't have a problem with the colours.

It's in the N3V tradition......release it even though it doesn't work and then do three or four fixes to get it mostly right, but never completely right.

This color/font scheme is possible

ForumGray1.jpg

Last edited:
I fully agree. There is no rational reason for this visual style.

It's the default colour scheme for vBulletin v4.1 based forums, several other forums I frequent use the same version.

There's your rational reason.

Now for my thoughts on it, it IS harder to read, and we've had situations before where several... older... members of the trainz community change their text size in their postings 'because it makes it easier to read for me' (and also makes it more awful to read for the rest of us).

vBulletin supports themes, and as the most popular forum software on the net (yeah, sorry phpBB but you know it's true), there should already be plenty of themes around.

So, to N3V, spend a day seeking out a variety of colour schemes, some hi vis, some hi contrast, some with darker colours, some with lighter, pick about a dozen or two, and install them, then let us choose which one to use on our control panel. How to do this should be in the vBulletin documentation you get when you pay for it.

Edit:

Just to make your life easier, N3V, here's how to do it:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/281686-User-Selected-Styles-(possible-)

Last edited:
It has been proven that black lettering on a white background is the easiest for people to read particularly if they have problems with their eyesight.

It has been proven that black lettering on a white background is the easiest for people to read particularly if they have problems with their eyesight.

While I'm aware of studies that conclude that, I still find that black on light grey-blue (isn't that what the old style was? I can't remember, but I know I find black on light grey-blue best on other forums) to be the easiest to read, so I'm tempted to suspect that there is at least an element of personal taste/experience involved.

Edit: A workaround for me is that the current theme is much more readable with 2 steps of zoom in firefox (ctrl-+ twice or ctrl-mouse wheel up twice)

Of course, it's transatory and has to be done each time the window is closed, but I tend to leave my auran forums window open a couple of weeks at a time, so it shouldn't be that big a deal.

I still think adding some themes and letting us lowly users control our own destiny eyesight

Last edited:
Nothing wrong here, everything clear as a bell.

Windows 7, IE9, 1366 x 768 laptop.

Windows XP, IE8, 1920 x 1080 Desktop.

Mick Berg.

Last edited:
Back