Capabilities and Requirements?

KingConrail76

I'm on the fence, so to speak, about purchasing TS12, and I think the MultiPlayer aspect might be the deciding factor. I've searched the TrainSim Forums and here, to no avail, to answer some of my questions regarding the capabilities and requirements of MultiPlayer, so here goes with the noob questions;​

1. Can Multiplayer function over a LAN? Say, for example, my wife and I want to work a switching job together, do we need to sign on to the Auran Servers to play with each other, across the room, or is our Home Network enough?​

2. Do we need two complete software packages (two serial numbers?) to play each other, or can TS12 be installed on two computers I own and used simultaniously with independant Auran accounts? (Are Auran Accounts based on software Serial number?)​

3. My computers exceed the minimum (and recommended) system requirements for TS12, as advertised, but does MultiPlayer require "more" ??​

4. I understand that whom ever is in a MP session must have the same "stuff" (assets/Route/Session), but MUST it be uploaded and downloaded thru the DLS, or can I use a USB stick to transfer between my two systems to make them "identical" in the eyes of the Auran Server (if we need to use the Server vs. LAN)??​

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.​

Last edited:
1) You must connect through the Auran Servers even if the computers are beside each other.

2) You need one serial number per player so in your case two registered copies

3) No, runs fine.

4) Not sure but i tried copying via a USB stick for another account and it did not work completely for a couple of sessions, so maybe i did something wrong.

Hope this gives you some idea of what goes on.

Thank you very much Sir, that is very helpful, but leads to a next question;

Can you make Multiplayer Sessions "Private", as in somehow password access, so if my wife and I want to switch alone, we can? Or is every Multiplayer open to the general public?

Edit: Also, since LAN is out, and that would double the amount of traffic on my direct internet connection (thus making it slower compared to playing with someone from across the country), other than:
--Multiplayer
--new Routes
--added stock
--longer DLS "life span"

is there any real advantage to TS12 over TRS10?

Last edited:
Yes, one of you can start a multiplayer session, make it a private session and type in a password. Then the other can type in the password to join the session.

Back