Trainz won't run!

WillPac

Willamette Pacific RR
Have no clue why, but suddenly Trainz (2010) won't run. CMP runs fine, but Trainz itself, regardless of whether from the menu screen or from CMP, does not. The screen goes black for a few seconds, then it flashes in neon greens and magentas and goes back to desktop.

I have done extensive database repairs, backdated my PC to prior to the latest patch (49933) to go back to 44088, even uninstalled and reinstalled. Same *$&%^ result.

Any ideas what went wrong? Better yet, how to fix it?

PC specs: quad processor (Athlon II X4 610e), 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD5470 1GB video, running Windows 7

What was the last thing that you remember intstalling into trainz?

Did you change any of the options in the configure trainz menu? because that can cause trainz not to function properly.

When it was running did you remember installing anything or configuring anything?

What was the last thing that you remember intstalling into trainz?

Did you change any of the options in the configure trainz menu? because that can cause trainz not to function properly.

When it was running did you remember installing anything or configuring anything?

Updated to the latest patch is all...I had installed a couple of new things from the DLS but they did not keep Trainz from starting. But even backdating to the previous build did not change the non-functioning, nor did removing and reinstalling

Sounds like a possible graphics issue to me.

Are you running the latest versions for your graphics card drivers and DirectX files (Latest DirectX version is June 2010/April 2011)?

Shane

Did you shut down forcefully while trainz froze?:confused:
Apparently TS10, for me, has more errors than TS09 and TS12!!:eek:
No, I didn't have to shut it down...it doesn't freeze up, it just plain crashes back to desktop.

I have tried changing the resolution sizes, tried changing it from fullscreeen to windowed and back, OpenGL to DirectX and back...nothing.

Yesterday CMP opened up fine, but now my content has more than 5600 errors, more than ten times they had before this SOB went south on me. I think it might be time to put my love of trains aside and focus on other stuff

Open Trainz, in the small splach screen where you'd click content mgr, etc click options. Click advanced settings tab and make sure "Disable Hardware TL" is UNchecked. Also in display settings tab make sure fullscreen is checked. I once reinstalled simply because I overlooked those and thought something was corrupt. Felt like a retard when I realized how much work I went through repatching and moving content over a couple checkboxes:hehe: ALso on the content errors, grab a cup of coffee, filter CM to show faulty content, select all (ctrl A) and right click - show errors and warnings..... Takes a bit to run (hence the coffee) but should clear most of the false errors. Hope my $0.02 helps

Mike

Last edited:
Open Trainz, in the small splach screen where you'd click content mgr, etc click options. Click advanced settings tab and make sure "Disable Hardware TL" is UNchecked. Also in display settings tab make sure fullscreen is checked. I once reinstalled simply because I overlooked those and thought something was corrupt. Felt like a retard when I realized how much work I went through repatching and moving content over a couple checkboxes:hehe: ALso on the content errors, grab a cup of coffee, filter CM to show faulty content, select all (ctrl A) and right click - show errors and warnings..... Takes a bit to run (hence the coffee) but should clear most of the false errors. Hope my $0.02 helps

Mike
had a slim ray of hope there...till I fired up Trainz to check the settings...alas, they are as you say they should be, yet STILL fails to run.

hey, is your game installed like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Auran\TS2010...

or this:

C:\Auran\TS2010...

???

if the first opton is what you have, then uninstsll trasinz, then reinstall, yet when it says where to install, type in the second option. this installs the program so that windows cant do anything about it.

There's still a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not the approaching SD70 that's gonna run you over:hehe: ) you can at least copy your user data folder and overwrite it after you re-install and you won't lose any installed content;)

hey, is your game installed like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Auran\TS2010...

or this:

C:\Auran\TS2010...

???

if the first opton is what you have, then uninstsll trasinz, then reinstall, yet when it says where to install, type in the second option. this installs the program so that windows cant do anything about it.

Oddly, I have ALWAYS put it in the Program Files (x86) directory, with TRS 2006 and 2010 on my Vista laptop and 2010 on this Win7 machine, and I have never had a SERIOUS problem like this

There's still a light at the end of the tunnel (and it's not the approaching SD70 that's gonna run you over:hehe: ) you can at least copy your user data folder and overwrite it after you re-install and you won't lose any installed content;)

I did that once, and am copying it to a second source again so I can uninstall it AGAIN and reinstall to see if it will run with the built-in stuff. At least that might tell me it's a disastrous asset causing the heartburn (although I still have doubts a faulty asset can be SO faulty that Trainz won't run)

I did that once, and am copying it to a second source again so I can uninstall it AGAIN and reinstall to see if it will run with the built-in stuff. At least that might tell me it's a disastrous asset causing the heartburn (although I still have doubts a faulty asset can be SO faulty that Trainz won't run)

ha!!! thats because Trainz itself is faulty!:hehe: :hehe: like the coding isnt really 100%...its more like 95%...which isnt bad. that happens to almost every game. the thing with trainz everybody needs to remember is if an asset isnt created by N3V, then it will most likely F-Up your trainz. especially when youre trying to get an asset to work, althought the one asset has like 50 different authors.

try to put it this way. say youre building a car. if the body is a chevy, the frame a toyota, the bumpers a ford, and the engine a honda, it might work, but most likely wont.:eek: stuff from N3V is the chevy from the showroom.

the best you can do is just keep searching/ interacting with the community. i know users on here that have gotten their solution after spending weeks on the forums seraching for answers.

good luck WillPac:cool:

Hey now it's not all that bad - I've only managed to grenade 2010 twice since it came out (can't even remember how long ago I got it:hehe: ) and I ran it pretty hard on a really crappy PC - built this one for it, and suffered through the patches and problems and broken stuff and............ It's more like an old Ford truck - always broken but never quite broke down;) However I've concluded that we're all tinkerers who are a few bricks shy and that's why we're all still here lovin the trainz:D Besides... who understands train people besides train people?:hehe:

Hey now it's not all that bad - I've only managed to grenade 2010 twice since it came out (can't even remember how long ago I got it:hehe: ) and I ran it pretty hard on a really crappy PC - built this one for it, and suffered through the patches and problems and broken stuff and............ It's more like an old Ford truck - always broken but never quite broke down;) However I've concluded that we're all tinkerers who are a few bricks shy and that's why we're all still here lovin the trainz:D Besides... who understands train people besides train people?:hehe:

very true.

Trainz runs now but still need advice/help

I followed gearhead's advice on the reinstall....uninstalled Trainz and put it back on, but this time to C:\Auran rather than C:\Program Files (x86)\Auran and crossed my fingers...

It took almost two hours for Trainz to update/rebuild the database, which was nothing but the underwhelming build-in content, but it actually ran this time. Back to just the six to eight built-in routes but at least it ran. That tells me there is some asset sitting in my local folder that brings Trainz to its knees.

I left the custom, downloaded assets in their original location, since happily the uninstall leaves that folder. But when I went into CMP, I pulled in a few assets by choosing "Import Content" and selected the first file folder in my old User Data/local folder. It pulled in 31 assets but every one had the same error message (something about it couldn't commit this asset due to a file location error).

Does Trainz not like that the local folder is in its default spot, even though I changed the program's location on the reinstall? Do I need to move that User Data somewhere else, like my desktop? Or can I just move them into the new User Data folder and not import them via CMP? Just want the best way to get the upteen gigs of 3rd party assets and my customized routes so they show up.

ha!!! thats because Trainz itself is faulty!:hehe: :hehe: like the coding isnt really 100%...its more like 95%...which isnt bad.

I beg to differ. If I bought a new car that was 95% complete I'd be rightly p****ed off.

I've worked for Activision before, and know full well if the work I'd submitted was 95% complete I'd have been off of the project with no pay. There's no excuse (imho) for releasing sloppy code that we, at the end of the day, have to pay for and expect to work.

Before all the 'regulars' get the flamethrowers out, I'll point out I've bought 2 versions of this sim (therefore supporting N3V's efforts) and am fairly happy with it.

But, after all the iterations this software's gone through now, it should be 'tighter'. I see far too many threads on this forum similar to "Trainz won't run!".

Just my tuppence worth:wave:

Last edited:
Back