Installing multiple trainz versions - any tips

ManyTone

Hello folks
I have Trainz 2006 installed and I then purchased Trainz 2012 and installed it. I notice it went to a different folder and both programs work fine.

I want to now purchase Trainz 2010. Will it install and work properly with my other versions that I have already. Maybe someone knows exactly what I can expect? Does it go to a separate folder too? Is it worth having considering what I already have?
Thanks in advance
MT

Hello MT, Welcome to the Trainz forum and the mad world of trainz.

Each time you install any Trainz programme, it will ask you to set up a new folder, it will usually give you the option of a seperate folder from all the other Trainz versions, so as not to cause your computer any problems, this new Trainz folder will install somewhere in either the Auran folder as either...

(Trainz 2004)
(Trainz 2006)
(Trainz 2009)
(Trainz 2010)
(Trainz Classics)

or the new N3V Folder

(Trainz 2012)

The Auran Folder and N3V Folder can be found within the Program Files folders in My Computer.

All the above versions will be alocated to seperate folders, unless you ask it to try and merge them, which I would say, don't ever merge them, as this will corrupt your Trainz versions and they will not work at all.

My advice is, Just follow the on screen instructions, and you should not have a problem.

Also, once your new version of Trainz has been installed, always do a Quick Database Repair, this will fix any errors and help to make your new Trainz version more stable, this can be found under File at the top of the screen in CONTENT MANAGER

Hope the above helps

Joe Airtime

Last edited:
The only advice I will give you at this point is watch out when patching. Some users who have TS12 and either TS2009 or TS2010 installed (or both) have encountered issues where the patcher has attempted to patch the wrong folder. See my tutorial website for my advice on how to patch sucessfully, even when there are multiple versions involved.

Shane

I plan to have TRS2006 on one external Hard Drive ... an TS10 on another external Hard Drive ... It remains to be seen if lag will have an adverse effect.

Thanks again guys!
I decided to go for it seeing as I had a 34% off voucher and ended up getting 2010 for about 20 dollars. Figured the routes included would be worth the price. I am just downloading it all now and will install later today.

I also would like to know about bringing my content from my old machine to my new machine..... here is my scenario.....

I have Trainz 2006 on my old machine with a bunch of content and routes etc that I added over the years. I have now installed Trainz 2006 on a new computer and would like to bring my old content into the new computer.

I figured I can copy the whole 2006 folder from my old computer to my desktop of the new computer and then use Content Manager to import the content.

Is this right? Will this get my previous content including routes and scenarios, into Trainz 2006. Or would I be better importing it to my new Trainz 2010 setup?

Thanks again I really appreciate the guidance.
MT

Last edited:
With 2006, all you need to do is copy your saved Local folder into the Local folder of the new installation, once they are evenly patched.

Instead trying to bring EVERYTHING into 2010, why don't you just pick and choose, and import those items after you made them into CDPs in 2006. You're bound to have some error fixing to do, and why make it overwhelming?
Besides, 2010 will have updates available to download, items that have already been repaired and are on the DLS, why not get those first instead of doubling your work?;)

With 2006, all you need to do is copy your saved Local folder into the Local folder of the new installation, once they are evenly patched.

Instead trying to bring EVERYTHING into 2010, why don't you just pick and choose, and import those items after you made them into CDPs in 2006. You're bound to have some error fixing to do, and why make it overwhelming?
Besides, 2010 will have updates available to download, items that have already been repaired and are on the DLS, why not get those first instead of doubling your work?;)

Okay lets see if I have this right.
I just checked and both computers have the same Trainz 2006 version/build number. So you say I should be able to just put my local folder from the old machine into the new machines 2006 folder structure and all my layouts and sessions will then show on the new machines 2006 version.

Then I keep my Trainz 2010 as a clean install and just make cdp files from 2006 to transfer if I wish to get them in 2010?

If that works it will get me what I want..... Have I got it right?
Cheers
MT

Mmmmm, you are correct! Be sure to check out any other information in your settings that you may want to transfer... consists, Trainz Options file, etc...

Back