Looking for routes/sessions based on CMTM

tgp1994

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't quite sure where to post about finding content :\

Anyways, after reading a description of dap's CMTM system, I think it's definitely something I want to try on some polished routes. I have to say that playing sessions with industries is something I really like to do in Trainz. The problem is, I can't find many/any appealing routes that use CMTM.

I've tried using the name and keywords field in the content manager, although I only get the CMTM system its self, a CM Holly route which I'm not too interested in doing, and some demo routes. I'm searching for some finished routes though, can anyone recommend one or more to me? Am I misunderstanding the purpose of CMTM? I was looking for routes/sessions for industry-based activities, and I'm barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks in advanced.

No suggestions for CMTM based sessions? I guess I could broaden my horizons to other industry-based (scripts?) on popular routes. Any recommendations?

I plan a CMTM session for my new WIP route, but that's months away still. Honestly surprised there hasn't been more response to this thread....

tgp,

The reason you find very few CMTM routes is because very few routes have adequate yard trackage to support prototype operations. CMTM was created to support prototype operations of common carrier railroads where trains have scheduled routes and do not drive helter skelter to find products to pick-up and deliver to industries in need. Feel free to select an existing route and make a CMTM session for it. I did that with the CN Holly Sub and Phil Skenes Downtown Traction Company. I started one for his Harbor Master, but there are no adequate yards on that route to support the type of sessions I like to create. Phil is one of the best route creators. Just wish he would put at least one central yard somewhere in each route to support prototype operations.

Some CMTM routes that are in the works either as new or beigng updated to CMTMSystem3 include:

my routes:
Huron Central
Iowa Central
Long Island Western
Conundrum & Pacific -

Routes by Maxwerks:
Hoboken Shore Railroad
Jay Street Connecting

If you want to try your hand at creating a session for an existing route, I'll be here to guide you if you get in a jam.

David

I started with the VR Hither and Yon on the GAURC site.

I converted it to System 2 and learned a great deal. It really works well and is a lot of fun.

The CN Holly is a bit hectic so I will probably adjust the timetables for a longer more relaxed session. It is amazing what CMTM can do.

Tried converting the Huron Central to System2 but realized I needed more experience so I developed this:

metro_east.jpg

It is based on the Portals and Industries in the CMTM System 2 "config".

Learn a lot from something so simple, finally have my head around CMTM.

Thank you David.

Harold

Last edited:
Harold,

You are going to love CMTMSystem3. You can give trains a name and a mission code that is used to determine the exact data records that are used for that train. And last night I tested the random loading and it works like it should. This is really cool for through traffic. Instead of specifying a product, just use an x and CMTM will select a product queue and product from random in the car for which the record is used. Really makes a train with open cars look more interesting. The biggest change in System3 is the switchlist now displays the car mark and car number rather than the Trainz User description. This involves creating two entires in the freight cars config extensions section. If the car is equiped with auto-number, cmtm displays the number given to the car by auto-number. And here is the good part. Majekear has over 1,000 freight cars on the DLS that have this change already implimented. Every one of his auto-numbered freightcars are CMTMSystem3 compatable. Other content creator are also starting to include these two entries in their freight car configs. And, it is easy to add the two lines to cars you have in your stable.

I hope to have System3 ready before the end of January.

David

Hmm... do I have the wrong idea about CMTM? I was thinking that it was more of a broad industry-based session mod script, but is it something more specific?

Could you guys recommend any legendary industry-based sessions, regardless if they use CMTM?

Set your CM Search Panel to Author - Philskene. He has lots of sessions for his routes. Since you use TS2012 you should only try build 3.5 or greater.

Bob Weber

Set your CM Search Panel to Author - Philskene. He has lots of sessions for his routes. Since you use TS2012 you should only try build 3.5 or greater.

Bob Weber

Thank you Bob, I'm looking forward to downloading some of his routes/sessions :)

Edit: Ahh, port ogden and northern. Loved that one when I played it in TS2010. Glad to see it ported for '12 :)

Last edited:
Hmm... do I have the wrong idea about CMTM? I was thinking that it was more of a broad industry-based session mod script, but is it something more specific?

Could you guys recommend any legendary industry-based sessions, regardless if they use CMTM?

CMTM is an automated Car Destination and Traffic Management system. It assigns a destination to every freight car on the route and displays the data for the cars in the consist on which the camera is focused. You never loose track of what car goes where. You do not need a note pad and pencil to keep writing things down.

These are not random destinations. They represent real life railroading.

It does not interface with or use the totally unprototypical built-in "way bill" system. In fact it totally ignores that system. You do not need to program industries. It allows you to operate your railroad like the real thing. A well designed CMTM session will give you 7 days of servicing industries. If you are into prototype operations, you will want it on every route you run.

Hope this helps your understanding of CMTM.

David

That definetely sounds like something I want. I'll keep looking then. Probably isn't too late for me to learn how to mod other sessions :p

Tread with caution my friend. You are about to enter the most adictive, satisfying, all consuming part of Trainz. Many a soul has ventured down that path, never to be seen again in the light of day. But oh, the joy they experience! Such joy can be found no where else in the universe!

Tread with caution my friend. You are about to enter the most adictive, satisfying, all consuming part of Trainz. Many a soul has ventured down that path, never to be seen again in the light of day. But oh, the joy they experience! Such joy can be found no where else in the universe!

I look forward to it :D
I've been getting so discouraged from playing most of the built in sessions due to the coupler breakage bug, so some quality time playing some industry sessions will be a relief.

Back