Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki M8 in the works

United States of America, new york, fishkill

Default Kawasaki M8 in the works

I am working on a new project that will go along with my major tri state area route. In Sketchup Pro 8, I am making the Kawasaki M8's. I just got the texturing for the front of the car done, using it as a guide, and some technical drawings and blueprints from an LIRR M7. I am so proud to be working on these. Now that I know how to do different things with the textures, I plan on starting over with the NJT comet IV cab car. Stay tuned for some pics.

United States of America, Connecticut, Storrs

Awesome! I have an M8 from a 3rd-party site, but it's got a couple of graphical bugs i.e. the top headlights being 3-4m above where they should be. Plus it's too short for its pantographs (they don't come close to touching the catenary).
    System Model: HP Pavilion dm4t-2100
    TS12SP1HF4, build 61388 (clean & dirty)

I have that one.Here are the first two screenshots of the M8. The white rectangle under the car is going to be for the bogeys. The front of the car is almost complete.

Blog Entries

You could replace pantograph with Acela HESL Pantograph in DLS, it worked for me.

Would anyone have any pictures of the side of the M8.

Default Side shots (WARNING: LARGE IMAGES)

Quote Originally Posted by malikrthr View Post
    Would anyone have any pictures of the side of the M8.
    Google is your friend.

Note that the cars also have their running numbers printed in white in the middle of the red stripe on either side of the car.

Here's a video showing the cab: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3IvtBgp78U

Another view (little closer, but camera is shakier) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT2DbxW7dE4

And there are several more videos on YouTube showing interior and exterior lateral views of the M8. I recommend clicking around; you'll never know what you might find.
    Last edited by Scottbe8; December 30th, 2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Addition of title and extra details

Thanks. I know I used the textures for the front of the car, but would it also be necessary to use textures for the side, roof, and interior of the car. Also, do you know how I can get the whole texture clipped to the side of the car. For example, the second image, would it be possible to angle that image in a way to the entire side of the car clearly?

Is there a way to remove the lines on the side of the car without having a certain area of the car erase itself so I won't have errors when pulling or pushing the door. I cannot make the doors because of those lines. The error has something to do with not letting me push or pull the door because the lines are curved.

United States of America, New York, Staten Island

Draw lines where the doors will be, select the faces where the doors are, and push/pull the faces.

I would just like to let everyone know, this project is not dead. I am still working on it. I had to start over because that mistake I made with the curved lines seemed to mess everything up. I think I know how to get past that now. The shell is complete. Now I have to work on the roof, side doors, windows, and more. Screenshots will be posted soon once I make more progress.

The front of the Kawasaki M8 is mainly finished. Now, time to get working on the roof.

Nice. Looks exactly like the real thing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

A word of advice - take a look at all the pantographs that are out there to find one that fits well. I'd recommend drchoi21's Generic Panto (downloadable from TPR). Also, in the married pair, only one car has the panto.

Addendum: If you want to add a cab to it, an excellent image popped up on Wikipedia:

Thanks Scottbe8. This will definitely help alot. Now I can build a custom cab.

Don't worry everyone. This project is not vaporware. I decided to work on the Major Tri State Area Project for a while. Time to spend some time on this. Screenshots will be posted soon.