Montana Rail Link MP

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
So I have uploaded a new version of MRL MP. I know that this route is a bit much for MP, seeing as it is a very long route. But I feel it could be a bit of fun with a few people working it. I have some industries set up and should be in working order. The town of Trident is kinda fun to switch.

Changed my mind. Is this route worth DLing for a MP route? I know it a long route with some big yards,some stations, now some INDs that are set up.
Is there some shuning that will kept someone bussy for an hour? Are the Stations set up to load passengers? ( not really a passenger fan but will run one if there nothing else.) I myself don't like looong hauls but like hauls say from one yard to another on this route. Would this route serve me well enoght to DL it?

Last edited:
Changed my mind. Is this route worth DLing for a MP route? I know it a long route with some big yards,some stations, now some INDs that are set up.
Is there some shuning that will kept someone bussy for an hour? Are the Stations set up to load passengers? ( not really a passenger fan but will run one if there nothing else.) I myself don't like looong hauls but like hauls say from one yard to another on this route. Would this route serve me well enoght to DL it?

There should be more than enough to keep a guy busy for more than a few hours. I live in Lockwood and prototypically speaking, there is 23 industries that I can think of just in the Billings area. I'm actually workin at the sugar factory that gets rail service from the MRL. They are constantly here switching out covered hoppers, tankers, and coal cars here. And that's just one industry. We have 3 refineries, a power plant, intermodal, quite a few grain silos, steel scrap yards, lumber yards, chemical drop off areas, a steel company that makes bridge gurders, culverts, steel coil rolls, of course the sugar plant, and lots of long coal trains pass thru from the Powder River Basin headed for the west coast.

Well, it is a long route but has 5 yards that can be worked. As well as numerous industries that should be in working order. But seeing as it is 300 miles, it dose take some time to get from end to end. Back in TRS10 a few guys and my self had thought that MRL would be a fun route for MP. 300 miles of single track with passing sidings every 4-5 miles, plenty of large yards, and working signals.Id say its worth it, even if it might not be the best for MP.

Then again, in an MP session, you dont need to use the whole route. Players could just run between any sections they want.

After much thought, I will continue to work on MRLv2. But I am going to work on it at a much slower pace and fix way more then what I had planed. I am doing this because of two reasons.

1. I don't have the top of the line computer I used to have, and I believe I might have a ram or processor issue that is making running more then a few trains hard for my computer. I get 20-30fps in surveyor and driver. But in a session I get about 5-10.

2. I have noticed that we have a "lag" issue where trains don't show up where they should be, or they jump at random. I believe that having lots of trains running or even just sitting is more data then the system can handle as of right now. I think having a supper high end computer as the host might be a slight remedy for the issue, I also believe that over the next few months N3V will have new patches that will improve MP.

But these issues aside, I think that MRL is a fantastic route for MP. Even if I say we need shorter routes, some how this route just works perfect. If you like long hauls and big trains, then MRL is it. And MLRv2 will have working industries, been using BI2's every where. But I am open to suggestions of what people what in the route. But as I told Vincent, every time you ask for passenger trains is another day I hold of placing any.

My list, thus far, of things to fix/add:
More industries
Lines of Texture
A few "humps" in the track
Replace signals (Almost done)
Replace Track (Testing out different tracks)
Add more details along the track
Add more buildings in towns
Try not to lose my mind

How about removing duplicate junction names? There are three such duplicates, all of them in the Helena area. Check out these names:
EHelenaYardLead, WHelenaXoverE, WHelenaXoverW. It looks as if you forgot to replace the initial letter in the three duplicates with the opposite compass direction.
Whatever, I am looking forward to the next version.

I downloaded version 3.0, and again all tracks were missing, only dashed lines. Apparently this is because these tracks are built into TS12 and thus inaccessible for me. In my version of Mac (which is ready by now) I had to replace every single track segment with a track of my liking, replacing all signals with Safetran signals on the way. In TrainzMac it is not possible to exchange tracks using the 'replace assets' function. One more point which should be changed.
I am in no mood to do this again for the current version. So unless N3V agrees to let me upload my current version (licenses from JIb228 and TPR pending) or lets somebody else upload a working TrainzMac version there will be no MP for MacTrainzers on the MRL.

Dralex

The only problem I see with you uploading your own version is this. Jimmy Jonson who has a Mac see's that you uploaded a Mac version of the route. So he looks to the DLS for it and sees "MRL 3.1" by me on there. Jimmy, being the highly unintelligent fool that he is, downloads my version of MRL. He loads it up only to find that it wont work for him.

Next thing I know, my vacation is ruined cause Jimmy floods the forums and my in-box and my e-mail with things like "I SPENT HOURS DOWNLOADING THIS ROUTE TO PLAY MULTILAYER AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!! THERE IS NO TRACK! I CANT JOIN SESSIONS! I CANT HOST A SESSION CAUSE OF THE MISSING TRACK! JIB YOUR A HORRIBLE CONTENT CREATOR! WHY WOULD YOU UPLOAD SOME THING THAT WONT WORK?! JUST QUIT NOW CAUSE YOU SUCK!"

Now I see all this and I get up and start to help poor Jimmy, as I am a nice guy. And for a few minuets, to a few hours I give him ideas on how to fix his game. Not ever knowing Jimmy is on a Mac. Then, when Jimmy finally breaks it to me that hes on a Mac, I simply tell him that he downloaded the wrong version of MRL.

And this will go both ways. Some one on a PC might download the Mac version with out ever doing the crucial step of reading only to bombard you with the same stuff.

And This is my fear of having multiple versions of some thing on the DLS. One idiot not knowing what hes doing will cause all sorts of headaches. And unfortunately, there are quite a few out there who will do just this.

But....if you want a working MP version of MRL on your Mac I highly recommend buying a PC.

Back