Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Import taxes for Trainz 10th aniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiA View Post
    So what you're saying is 'Hey, look at me, I evaded paying my 6.5% use fee that Ohio charges and I'm supposed to declare/pay with my annual tax return'?
    There is NO use fee (in Ohio and a lot of states) when you buy online. Why do you think California citizens got so steamed up when Amazon decided to charge the "use fee"? If you're paying a 'use fee' then your simply making a donation to the state then.

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

It's even better that that, Bill. The AUD is about the same as a USD today!
    Well that's the banks for you. They charge for everything even though there is not even any kind of human intervention whats-so-ever.

-----

Now for the questions regarding customs....

Most companies ship DDU, or Deliver Duty Unpaid. In many cases they ship EXW, or Ex-Works. Ex-Works means that everything is paid for by the customer, including the shipping costs as well as any import customs' fees, and local delivery costs. It is rare for DDP, or Deliver Duty Paid. You'd see the latter case if it's a warranty parts shipment to a customer, or an intra-company delivery.

I agree though the customs' fees can be horrendous. I used to work shipments to be 99% DDU or EXW so my old company wouldn't pay the shipping or customs' fees if could get away with it. At one point my old company, we brought back some old equipment from a closed foreign office. The import fees were $75,000 USD for the parts. This was on top of the actual shipping costs, which were not included.

John
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

Hi,

Since the OP was British I would go along with CaptEngland on this one.

I have never been made to pay duty on any DVD/CD purchases made outside the European Union. I use the internet quite a lot for purchases, and the only time I have been 'hit' for duty was on a large and heavy parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    Remember to declare it on your tax return if you digitally download TS2010 or TS12.

Cheerio John
    I assume this was said tongue in cheek? If not - hands up all those people who have declared downloads to the taxman.

Cheers, John

Quote Originally Posted by HiBaller View Post
    There is NO use fee (in Ohio and a lot of states) when you buy online. Why do you think California citizens got so steamed up when Amazon decided to charge the "use fee"? If you're paying a 'use fee' then your simply making a donation to the state then.

Bill
    The state of Ohio disagrees:

http://tax.ohio.gov/faqs/Sales/sales_basics.stm#A5
    Nikki

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiA View Post

I disagree with your disagreement. Note the following sentence in your link (it is the third sentence in section 5):

"Purchases that are properly exempt from sales tax are also exempt from the use tax."

The state of Ohio exempts anything bought over the Internet if that entity does NOT have a presence in the state of Ohio. Since N3V is in Australia, then purchases from that company are exempt from sales tax. And, if exempt from sales tax, then that provision I quoted takes effect.

That is why the state of California ordered Amazon to collect state sales tax. Amazon responded by removing their presence from California entirely - thus saving the residents paying sales tax.

I would be happy to debate this further - offline - except I have no interest in it any more.

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

Quote Originally Posted by N33 View Post
    Greetings,

From what i have been able to gather, there is an import tax for shipping Trainz 10th aniversary.

Seeing as though I live in the UK, does anyone have a vague idea on how much it would be?

Regards

Johan
    Up to £130 VAT only, latest offer is under this.
    Rog

Smile

many thanks to all that have replied,

Due to there now being a 25% discount voucher for trainz 12, one is hopefully going to purchase now knowing the cost of it.

Many thanks to all

Regards

Johan
    Master of dissapearing acts