"Read Only"? NOW what!

SuperFudd

When saving in TS2009 Surveyor, starting a couple of hours ago, I get a notice that the change has not been commited and that I should go to Content Manager to commit.
I then found that most if not all Trainz files are "Read Only". I try to change that but they remain "Read Only". I presume this has something to do with it.
Oh yes. Now I see many files are now "hidden".
What's up with that?:eek:

When saving in TS2009 Surveyor, starting a couple of hours ago, I get a notice that the change has not been commited and that I should go to Content Manager to commit.
I then found that most if not all Trainz files are "Read Only". I try to change that but they remain "Read Only". I presume this has something to do with it.
Oh yes. Now I see many files are now "hidden".
What's up with that?:eek:

More likely a Windows or disk problem, try a reboot, if that doesn't fix it run a disk check / repair.

Yes, clearly a Windows 7 problem, not Trainz.
I chage a file to NOT read only and I am told the change was made but a check iof properties of the file(s) still says read only.

I've had this problem with Windows 7 also. I can make a change, but the files stay 'read only'. Yes, I'm running from administrator. It's very frustrating. I'm not much of a fan of Windows 7.

Mike

If you are famillar with Command Prompt, the following command may help.

Bear in mind that it may take a short while for the command to process, and the command prompt must be run as administrator.

attrib -R "<trainz installation folder>/*.*" /S

The quote marks are only needed if there is a space in the path to your Trainz install folder.

Shane

Last edited:
Are you looking at files or folders? All my folders in 2010 are read only but the files in them are not. 2009 has had that problem for some time with saving it as a different kuid. It always seemed to happen after 4 or 5 normal saves.

There is a known bug in later versions of Windows that means that folders appear as read-only.

Shane

EDIT: If folder read-only is a problem, use the following modified attrib command: attrib -R "<trainz installation folder>/*.*" /S /D

Last edited:
Hi all,

I fooled around for several hours with various Win7 security setings and the problem went away. No, I don't know why.:(
All folders are marked as read only but that does not seem to matter as all files are now not read only.

Tried shutting off UAC and then setting the read write? apparently that is one of the unofficial suggested solutions for this read write problem, along with using the attrib command.

Still inclined to think a disk check might be in order as this seems to be a now its read only now it's not problem which indicates to me something isn't getting saved to the MFT properly. MFT Master File Table record holds information on each file including read write attributes, The MFT record is on the Disk but along with all the other meta files is not visible from Windows, it is visible using Linux to read an NTFS drive though.

Suggest looking at event viewer for anything like unable to write to $MFT

Back