NS Central Division CNO&TP Second District...and more.

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
Wow. Really? A thread from "illinoiscentral"? Yeah, that's right.

This route is a personal project of mine, and likely will not be up for download, however I documented this route enough on Facebook, and I think it's starting to annoy my non-railfan friends! :hehe: So, why not blog it here?

The Actual Line:
The line is the Norfolk Southern's CNO&TP second district, which is part of the NS Central Division. It operates between Burnside, Kentucky and Chattanooga, Tennessee. This line is NS' essential connection in Tennessee and Kentucky. It sees between 40 and 50 trains in a 24 hour period. Traffic is very diverse. Intermodal, manifest and unit trains operate over it. Variety is the name of the game here too. Motive power is varied, mostly six axle however. Scenery never disappoints in real life. Whether you like vintage depots, valleys or mountains it can be found here.
Signalling is intense, you'll go from Safetran hoodies, to Southern style three lighters to Southern searchlights, all in the same route, same day in time.

What I am doing:
I am doing my best to represent this line, however not everything is prototypical of course. I am building this line for my own enjoyment, its not for joint and rivet counters.
The project includes the CNO&TP from Chattanooga to Burnside, the Franklin Industrial Minerals Railroad from Rockwood to Crab Orchard, TN, the Norfolk Southern K&O District from Harriman to Clinton and the TVA power plant branch from Harriman to Kingston, TN.
This is a project of somewhat epic proportions and I hope to finish it.
I have this route done between Spring City, TN and Lancing, TN. However, its strictly trackwork, crossings and signalling with the landscape itself done in most places. Final detailing will come once the entire route's basic work is done. When bored, I super detail only certain small sections. This is simply how I work. Every artist works his own style.

What can be run here:
Like I said, variety is big here.
Manifests are generally GE Dash 9's and Dash 8's. However, SD60's SD40-2's and SD70M-2's frequently end up on trains here.
How about that CSX and BNSF power? You bet. CSX AC6000CW's usually power a coal train from the CSX in Oak Ridge to the Kingston/Harriman TVA power plant. BNSF ES44AC's and SD70MAC's run a coal train from Chattanooga to the TVA plant.
Guest power is often UP or CN. CN frequents the NS 175 and 61N. UP power frequents 167, 168, 27W and sometimes 124.

Sample shots...
SpringCity38.jpg

NS 295 cruises through Cardiff Valley Road north of Rockwood, TN. VLR F7's trail on their way to Chattanooga to be re-built by NS for VLR's Office Car Train.
SpringCity46.jpg

NS 111 exits Tunnel 24 at Oakdale, TN on its way to transfer to the NS K&O district. This scene is partially detailed only.
SpringCity39.jpg

NS 951 heads over the Cardiff Valley Road in Rockwood with a GP59 and GP40 leading. This is a MoW train that came out of Knoxville via the K&O and is headed for maintenance work in Spring City.
SpringCity47.jpg

Here we see where the absolute basic scenery work has been done at the Camp Austin crossover north of Oakdale.
SpringCity45.jpg

Once again, very basic scenery work at Oakdale, a former crew change point on this line back when it was three districts instead of two.
SpringCity33.jpg

Some detailing being done on the FIMX line at Rockwood.
SpringCity30.jpg

Advanced scenery being done at this scene north of Rockwood at Cardiff Valley Road.

So that's a dabbling of my latest work.
I built this line for my enjoyment because I will be working as a conductor on it within the next few years, God willing. Figured why wait? Let's build it.
Hope you guys enjoy checking out my work here.
You'll see basic scenery updates as I work towards Oneida out of Lancing.

Cheers,
Woody

SpringCity52.jpg

Working on the valley north of Nemo signals on my way to Lancing.
SpringCity51.jpg

Continuing north towards Lancing, you are looking south however.

Cheers,
Woody

Nice work Woody great too see your still playen Trainz, I'll keep an eye out on this one mate so best of luck with it.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Nice work Woody great too see your still playen Trainz, I'll keep an eye out on this one mate so best of luck with it.
Cheers Mick.:wave:

Thank you Mick, I appreciate it. Yes, I'm still at this old game, did upgrade to TS2010 though. Good software it is. You and the boys at Jointed Rail need to get an NS Dash 9 on there, would be handy for this route. ;)

SpringCity53.jpg

The tiny town of Lancing, TN comes to life.

Cheers,
Woody

You and the boys at Jointed Rail need to get an NS Dash 9 on there
Don't quote this as gospel Young Woody but i think Justin has one planned mate, Well i think so anyway LOL. Keep up the great work Woody.
Cheers Mick.:cool:

Nice to see the brown and orange back on the forum, Woody. I've been watching this one for a while.. it's gonna be a good one.

Steve

Splines

If you want the route to look better, I would suggest not using tree and grass splines, but individual trees and grasses. It may be a pain, but in the long run it will look much better. :p

Good to see you back Woody, your route is progressing very well. Keep at it and hope to see the finished line some day, especially if your hoping to work for the actual Railroad.

Craig
:):):)

Good to see you back Woody, your route is progressing very well. Keep at it and hope to see the finished line some day, especially if your hoping to work for the actual Railroad.

Craig
:):):)
Thanks much Craig, its good to be back on the forum.
I do hope ti finish this route, at the very least finish the tracks to Burnside. And yes, I am hopeful that I get hired with the NS out of Chattanooga next year. Would be a very rewarding career.

SpringCity55.jpg

Working on a small farming community north of Lancing.

Cheers,
Woody

If you want the route to look better, I would suggest not using tree and grass splines, but individual trees and grasses. It may be a pain, but in the long run it will look much better. :p

You might mean ticking the 'randomly rotate new objects' in the in-game Surveyor menu

Jamie

Nice to see you back Woodman, keep up the route work, it's paying off!:)

Thanks Ed, its great to be back and to see some of our established members such as yourself and Craig are still around. Gives the forum some hope. ;)

I should have some stuff posted up tonight, I'm taking the day to do a bit of railfanning in Murfeesboro, TN on the CSX this afternoon.

Cheers,
Woody

The route is looking good illinoiscetral. And you and me are in the same boat, I am looking to get hired with NS out of Roanoke,VA next year also.

Paul

Wow. Really? A thread from "illinoiscentral"? Yeah, that's right.
Cheers,
Woody

Yo Woody !

I just now noticed your thread , Doh !
Great to see you back at creating a route , it is looking good .
But better still is the fact that you are alive and well and back on the Forum .

--- ,dave

Back