Trigger Multiple Signals rule - assigning signals to more than one trigger?

jivebunny

Not bugs bunny.
Hi All,

I'm using the Trigger Multiple Signals (TMS) rule to project a crossover at a busy station approach. It's a complex track layout so I'll simplify what I want to do. It may well be that I'm missing something very obvious. I have not indented the rules in any way, perhaps there is something I should be indenting them under?

Let's say I have three signals on three separate tracks. On these three tracks are also three triggers, which when activated by a train should set the signals on the other two tracks to danger. Due to the layout, timetabling and trigger radius, the three triggers can not be activated at the same time by two trains, so conflicts cannot and do not arise.

What I have found however, is that once you have selected a signal to be changed by the TMS rule, you cannot select it agian in another instance of the rule. Therefore whilst trigger A can set signals 2 and 3 to danger, trigger B can set signal 1 to danger, but not signal 3 as this is not available in the list of signals.

I don't know if this is by design (to avoid conflicts) or if as I said earlier I am missing something obvious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JB

Trigger Multiple Signals is specifically designed to only allow 1 instance of the rule to control a particular signal.

This is to prevent conflicts between instances of the rules and also ensures that the signals will be returned to normal operation after the rule has finished controlling them.

HTH

Maggs

There was another rule that allowed signals to be controlled by the direction of the lever. this rule allowed for mutiply use of the same signal. Not sure of the kuid at present but will find it when i can. It worked that if lever A was in a set direction the signal would be on auto, when the lever changed that signal became red. I did use this rule on my Exeter St Davids station exit which had three tracks with two crossing over.

Edit I think this is the kuid kuid2:47662:20001:2

Last edited:
Cheers guys,

Thanks Maggs I thought it might be deliberate :) I can certainly understand the thinking behind that decision! :D

@ stagecoach - thanks for the kuid, the Set Signal rule is actually what I'm using for my second attempt. It takes A LOT longer to set up than Maggs' rule (as you need one for each signal) but it looks like it might just work. However I've come across a minor problem. Unlike Maggs' rule, this one doesn't make the specified signal(s) revert to automatic control once the train has left the trigger radius, it just stays on danger. Clearly I'm missing something here. I've tried indenting the "reset list" rule under the "Set Signal" rules with no luck :(

Cheers,

JB

Sorry ive checked out my content and found that it was Switch Signal Rule by James Thorpe Kuid2:110532:60000:0. It was one he created and put out in earlier years and cant seem to find it now. You could contact me and i could let you have it. I dont know if he is still around?

Hello!

I haven't used trainz in ages, but the bug has bitten again in the last few days. I myself am looking for a copy of my switch signal rule (see here)... it's been lost along the way!

Cheers,
James.

ok good news - my brother also has trainz and I sent him a copy of the rule ages ago :)

I now have it back in my hands, but only the compiled .gse file and the config etc. Is there anyway to decompile gse files?

edit: ok I just searched a bit more, seems like I was a bit paranoid back then - I'm guessing that .gse means I've run it through gse.exe and not just gsc.exe...

Last edited:
Hi James
Are you going to upload your rule as it is a very useful tool which ive used a lot and im sure a lot of others would want it?

BUMP
Did this rule ever get re-released? I had it in one of my TRS2004 routes and now it is showing faulty in TRS19?
110532_60000 errors.JPG

Hello,

In the Trigger Multiple Signals rule, think about it as adding a trigger to a signal. Make an instance of the rule for each signal, and add all of the triggers that will control that signal. I did this to successfully signal a mockup of the triangle in Fostoria.

Best regards,
Kevin

Back