Can a PDF be included in a CDP for upload to the DLS?

I think this post shows both the strength and weakness of the community. It sometimes doesn't follow the ideal method that a professional developer might do but it is capable of some very interesting innovations.
Cheerio John

Hello johnwhelan

Good remark
I hope that N3V will help, squeezing HTML table on this width is almost impossible and has no sense.

regards
celje

Last edited:
I'd suggest checking out the 'info-url' tag, as linked above.

Chris,

I've had problems using the short url form in the info-url tag. When I click on the link icon in Surveyor, I just get an empty browser window. Can you verify my syntax is correct to point to the following link: http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php5/VR_Construction_Corps?

Code:
info-url                                "wiki://VR_Construction_Corps"
Pay no attention to the actual content of the link; I just grabbed one to test / illustrate.

Thank you,
Curtis

Edit: it would also be cool if the info-url link was accessible from CM - maybe in the asset details window?

Last edited:
Adding help text to the Property Object browser is useful. Assets using Superscript can do this just by adding string-table entries to the asset config (which also supports images and text translation) I can publish code for this if there is any interest. It's also possible to kick off a separate browser from the property editor (see my Junction Kit objects)

Info-url is better since it can be updated simply and independently of the asset itself. However as far as I know (and despite several moans on my part) the short form 'wiki://link' has never worked and it would of course be suicidal to use a hard link for this.

Last edited:
Adding help text to the Property Object browser is useful. Assets using Superscript can do this just by adding string-table entries to the asset config (which also supports images and text translation) I can publish code for this if there is any interest. It's also possible to kick off a separate browser from the property editor (see my Junction Kit objects)

andi06 - thank you for offering to publish the code. However, as a very senior Trainz user (in age) I'm afraid I'm not familiar with writing computer scripts so it may or may not be helpful to me - but I'm sure it could be to others. (My only experience with trying computer programming was with a Tandy TRS80 way back in 1980 - there were no programs for it and what one could do was very limited!)

Ray

Chris,

I've had problems using the short url form in the info-url tag. When I click on the link icon in Surveyor, I just get an empty browser window. Can you verify my syntax is correct...

You're syntax is correct, but you're also correct about it not working as expected. It's a known bug that has been fixed for TS12 SP1. I believe refreshing the opened 'blank browser' will cause the page to show, but I may be mistaken.

Terry Palmer
Programmer
N3V Games

Chris
I for one would much rather have the documentation in the assets than have to search the internet for it. The Port Ogden route has always had maps inside the asset and it was easy to open the map for edit, print the maps and revert the asset. Nothing hidden about it.

Rob

Most users never read the assest liceance details in the config, they would not know its there or how to open and read.

So putting a help file in a pdf inside the assest file is going to be of no help to most users.

Most users never read the assest liceance details in the config, they would not know its there or how to open and read.

So putting a help file in a pdf inside the assest file is going to be of no help to most users.

It might if the description of the asset stated that there was a pdf map of the route.

Dave,

I've said this before. From an IT standpoint, I've found that the majority of users do not read a bloody thing. They'll receive detailed instructions to follow, yet they'll call me.

So I agree, it's not worth it to put this kind of information inside the folder if no one is going to read it. It would be easier, as I said before, if the asset viewer, within Surveyor, had some kind of more-info tool on it so we could link to it and see instructions. This is before placing the asset, and while the asset is in the selection list.

John

I agree with you on an asset, but for a route, it would be handy in my opinion for whatever that matters (obviously not much).

Why penalize those that would read it because of those that would not?

Mike

I agree with you on an asset, but for a route, it would be handy in my opinion for whatever that matters (obviously not much).

Why penalize those that would read it because of those that would not?

Mike

Mike,

I know what you're saying, but in the IT world they do everything for the majority instead of the minority. It may not seem that way, but it's true. Personally I read any readme.txt files, or as I should say, any included documentation with anything I install.

Now if the documentation was done as an how-to video, it might be different. Today's population would rather watch a video than read. This is where the website links come in. The user, if so willing, could click on a tutorial link with videos that show them how so they don't have to read anything.

John

Mike,

.....in the IT world they do everything for the majority instead of the minority......

Oh how true it is. I used to work for the government and I was involved in a study for the initiation of a new nationwide government network system and one of the primary ways that the system was justified and funded was hijacked by the IT folks for the 'the majority' and one of the reasons that the system was even developed wound up being excluded from the system. Now another study is being performed to see how that need can be satisfied with another system (one that had already been funded and approved once before). I don't want to step on any toes here, but IT folks operate with their blinders on sometimes. They tend to think in the terms of 'why something can't be done' instead of 'how can we accomplish that for our users' (kind of like lawyers think sometimes). I made my living as an architect and architects like to think of themselves as problem solvers. I'm just trying to solve a problem here with my suggestion on including pdf's, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. No matter though. Life goes on.

I hope you don't take offense, because it's not aimed at you. You're a great asset to this community and I highly value your contributions here. I'm just venting a little.

Mike

Oh how true it is. I used to work for the government and I was involved in a study for the initiation of a new nationwide government network system and one of the primary ways that the system was justified and funded was hijacked by the IT folks for the 'the majority' and one of the reasons that the system was even developed wound up being excluded from the system. Now another study is being performed to see how that need can be satisfied with another system (one that had already been funded and approved once before). I don't want to step on any toes here, but IT folks operate with their blinders on sometimes. They tend to think in the terms of 'why something can't be done' instead of 'how can we accomplish that for our users' (kind of like lawyers think sometimes). I made my living as an architect and architects like to think of themselves as problem solvers. I'm just trying to solve a problem here with my suggestion on including pdf's, but it seems to be falling on deaf ears. No matter though. Life goes on.

I hope you don't take offense, because it's not aimed at you. You're a great asset to this community and I highly value your contributions here. I'm just venting a little.

Mike

No offense, Mike. It's so true. Where I work, I am no longer the network administrator, but instead more of a hardware local hands-on tech. I like this a lot better because I don't have to deal with the 24/7/365 on-call issues, no holidays, schedule. If I wanted to continue that, I could have become a freight conductor. At least then I would have more fun!

Anyway, I have to deal with exactly what you say here. The global IT group makes decisions for the majority that make absolutely no sense, but it's their decisions and we have to either find workarounds, or work within the limits. A good example is the policy of disabling the admin account on the local desktops. This makes no sense because if a user is locked out, how can we unlock them without resorting to boot discs and extra work? We've discussed this issue more than once, but they won't change their mind, so now I've gone about enabling the admin accounts after I've reset a user's password. At least I know that the next time I visit the same person, which is usually the case, I'll be free and clear to reset their log in.

John

No offense, Mike. It's so true. Where I work, I am no longer the network administrator, but instead more of a hardware local hands-on tech. I like this a lot better because I don't have to deal with the 24/7/365 on-call issues, no holidays, schedule. If I wanted to continue that, I could have become a freight conductor. At least then I would have more fun!

Anyway, I have to deal with exactly what you say here. The global IT group makes decisions for the majority that make absolutely no sense, but it's their decisions and we have to either find workarounds, or work within the limits. A good example is the policy of disabling the admin account on the local desktops. This makes no sense because if a user is locked out, how can we unlock them without resorting to boot discs and extra work? We've discussed this issue more than once, but they won't change their mind, so now I've gone about enabling the admin accounts after I've reset a user's password. At least I know that the next time I visit the same person, which is usually the case, I'll be free and clear to reset their log in.

John

Truer words have never been spoken. After I retired from working for the military, they hired me to do some consultant planning work for them and when I finished the contract, I of course gave them hard copies of everything, but they also wanted digital backups of all of my files. The problem came when they figured out that they had no way for me to transfer the data to them because of restrictions set up on their network. These days, you can't even use a flash drive or hook up an external hard drive to a military computer (I won't go into the why's of that). IT gurus have essentially denied the military access to the digital data that they desperately need in some instances. Here I am sitting with the data and they can't access it. Another instance of there being no 'problem solvers' in the system.

Mike

So, the problem is 'how do we get a printable map (or instructions) into the users hands', right? If the Trainz browser could print, then you could set up a page on the WIKI with text and graphics and link to it via a help page, info-url, or maybe even an in-game HTML window. That way, the user wouldn't have to go into CM and edit the asset to find it.

Chris, would allowing printing from the in-game browser be too much of a security risk, or introduce more platform-specific code than you'd like to support?
Would there be a way to access an info-url from the route or session menus? I'm thinking this would be roughly analogous to having the icon in the details window of surveyor.

Curtis

Last edited:
Yes, that's my desires. I've got a route that I'm thinking of uploading to the DLS, but I'd like to include a printable route map with it. The route is finished, but it was built for 2004 and I'm upgrading it for TS10. I still need to replace some of the legacy content in it before it's ready, so I've got time to figure this out.

Mike

Being able to print out a route map, or other documentation would be an awesome thing. This would be especially useful in Driver. Print out the map from the map view so we can see what the route looks like instead of constantly bringing up the in-game map, which can be a pain because it blocks the whole screen (it can be sized, I know, but too small is useless), and can create a derailment as we fathom out where things are supposed to go.

Mike - This is typical of a lot of companies in general. Their own restrictions prevent them from actually getting work done. The problem is they hire young geeks, rather than people, who have worked in the field for many years, that have critical thinking experience. This causes people only to think on one sided. I don't know about you, but I always think out implications of a situation no matter what I'm doing. The solutions to a problem can have multiple answers, but knowing which one to use comes with experience and critical thinking. Without the latter aspect, the quick and easy approach to a situation is taken first without thought on what's going to happen later on.

John

hi mates

i too would love to have a map that i can print out.
that in game map is too bothersome.

i always pause the game before going into it

thanks
ron

Chris, would allowing printing from the in-game browser be too much of a security risk, or introduce more platform-specific code than you'd like to support?

I don't think it's a risk, but it's more of a burden than we'd be willing to take on at the current time. Having a mechanism to open the currently displayed in-game web page in an out-of-game web browser might be reasonable.

Would there be a way to access an info-url from the route or session menus? I'm thinking this would be roughly analogous to having the icon in the details window of surveyor.

If there isn't already, we could certainly add this quite easily.

chris

Back