New Utility from myself (shaneturner12) - PC Information Application

Apologies for the effectively double-posting, but unfortunately a problem has cropped up.

This will affect Norton users.

Unfortunately, Symantec have declined to add my software to their white-list, which means that users with Norton products may still encounter issues.

If a user encounters an issue trying to run my application, and has a Norton product, please PM me with the detection details - I can then pass this on to Symantec.

I am looking into using the Clickonce system for the application, which should get round the issue, but it also means that the method of running the program will change slightly.

Apologies for users hoping for better news, but that's how it is.

Shane

teeny tiny bug ive seen:

Code:
System Manufacturer:Alienware
System Model:M17x          
System Type:x64-based PC

Operating System Information

Operating System Name:Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate |C:\Windows|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Build:7601(Multiprocessor Free)
Service Pack:1.0

Memory Information

Total/Free Physical Memory (in GB):8.00/5.27

Graphics Card Information

Graphics Cards Found:2

Graphics Card 1
Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M
Dedicated Memory:1,024.00MB
Driver Version:8.17.12.6658
Date of current driver:20110107000000.000000-000
Video Memory:1.00 GB (1,024.00 MB)
Graphics Card 1
Graphics Card:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M
Dedicated Memory:1,024.00MB
Driver Version:8.17.12.6658
Date of current driver:20110107000000.000000-000
Video Memory:1.00 GB (1,024.00 MB)

Processor Information

Number of Logical Processors: 2
Processor:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9100  @ 3.06GHz
Current Clock Speed:3.07 Ghz
Maximum Clock Speed:3.07 Ghz
External Clock Speed (If present):0.13 Ghz
Processor Type:64 Bit
Processor Status:OK
Processor information can be affected by power management and certain processor features.

DirectX and Drive Information

Detected DirectX version: (This may not match any expected values) 4.09.00.0904
Drive Information:
Drive C:\ : 47.75GB Free ( 154.30 GB Capacity after formatting)
Drive E:\ : 57.94GB Free ( 153.20 GB Capacity after formatting)
Drive F:\ : 99.25GB Free ( 279.41 GB Capacity after formatting)
Drive G:\ : 7.57GB Free ( 18.68 GB Capacity after formatting)
Drive H:\ : 48.69GB Free ( 288.66 GB Capacity after formatting)
Drive I:\ : 0.00GB Free ( 4.12 GB Capacity after formatting)

both the graphics cards are listed as 1.

I've just released another update, fixing the bug I noticed.

NEW METHOD OF DOWNLOADING AVAILABLE (not shouting) - CLICKONCE INSTALLATION

In addition to the standalone version, I have also released a Clickonce version. This version can be used the same as the standalone version, by launching it from the Start menu (Programs > Shane Turner > PC Information Application)

Also, the program can check for updates on startup with this version, and will prompt you if an update is available.

I have tested this version, and it appears to work as intended. Bug reports/comments etc are always welcome though.

This version should work on standard user accounts, but I cannot guarantee that all features of the program will work as intended under this mode, even after testing.

The Clickonce link is directly underneath the standard download link, and will take you to a different page to install the tool. If you do not have .Net Framework 2.0 installed, this tool can install it for you. (You will need to click Back after clicking Install if you wish to continue viewing my site)

You will get a Install/Don't install box - it is still safe to use, and hopefully always will be. Do not worry about the 'Unknown Publisher' - it's because I haven't yet got a digital certificate, as the cost can be rather high.

Shane

A beta version of the latest changes has been released.

WARNING

As this is a beta version, there is a chance that something may go wrong. It has been tested to a certain extent, but due to the nature of the new feature, I cannot fully test it without completely reinstalling my version of Trainz.

The download link can be accessed from the link in the first post of this thread. Look for the heading Beta Version.

Any comments, bug reports etc, can be posted here, or sent to me via PM.

The normal version is still available for users who are not confident enough to use the beta version.

Shane

Last edited:
Beta 2 has been released of the latest changes.

The Patch Finder feature should now work correctly, but be aware that it's still in beta, so a backup of your Trainz files is advised.

Also, be aware that if you are using Windows Vista or 7, the utility must be run as administrator to use the Patch Finder feature.

Also, be aware that if you are running build 44088 (TS2010) and wish to use the Multiplayer Beta, install that from the Auran Announcements section before using this feature, as the feature will attempt to install the non-multiplayer patch otherwise.

The normal version is still available from the same page.

Direct Link: http://shaneturner12.awardspace.co.uk/trainzdata/index.php?page=system-info-utility
Shane

Last edited:
Whilst the forums were offline, I've been busy fine-tuning my application, and specifically the Patch Finder Feature.

The Patch Finder feature is still in beta, as it is currently only available in the beta version of the application (link is available in the previous post)

As mentioned in the previous two posts, the program must be run as administrator in Windows Vista or 7 if you are using the Patch Finder feature. This is due to Microsoft security restrictions.

The feature is now suitable for all users to try, but as it is a beta, there may be undiscovered bugs present. Please let me know via this thread or the PM system if a bug has been found that is not covered in this thread.

Notes

The following versions will need patches to be installed outside the application:

TS2009 - Just Trains edition - the patch to get you up to 40040 needs to be installed before using my utility.
TS2010 - Multiplayer Beta - Users who wish to use the Multiplayer beta must install the relevant patch manually, without using my utility, otherwise the utility will attempt to install the non-multiplayer patch. Once the patch in question is installed, my utility can then help to install the final patch.

Other Regional Versions - You will need to install any patches that do not correspond with N3V-supplied versions manually.

Shane

Hi, Shane. I was running your PC Information Application Version 2.1 last night and noticed that the "Find the Trainz Build Version" was failing to notice my installation of TANE Build 84204. I ran it as Administrator. My TANE exe file is in C:\Auran\TANE. No big deal, just thought you might like to know...

Andrew

Back