RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

Big Bang - Isaac Asimov & Carl Sagan.. The Grate expansion of the Universe,... curved ,closed expansion or continues expansion whit out gravitational mass return?
Well people i must be grateful to all for contribute whit your all attention you people deposit in this thread. Thanks again.:)
arraial

H

Hi people this model is a example of some work around whit tif files, they have multiple alpha textures like tif, png, alphas, jpg etc, the tool gonna convert all this textures in tga alpha textures but when the alpha texture is a Tiff file even in Skectup in this case of course they don't supply the alpha Chanel, then i make a work around, and in all tiff files wee must made the alphas in Photoshop, i don't see this as a failure of the plugin of Mike but if skecthup don't supply the alpha in tiff files how the tool can convert then whit alpha Chanel??? maybe Mike know something we must wait.
The other two images one is the Coliseum i convert then directly whitout any work or preparation at all they take 45 seconds to export. the other is a loco this one to whit out any work around.
arraial
6e2580a1604308ebc20c33695042508c.jpg

3e74c049b36e30350294dd0e3c13a209.jpg

9a1f47a0ef12b2cb855a89520879a23f.jpg

Last edited:
Mike (ModelerMJ) and Arraial,

Superb work and testing. I have long wondered if there was a means of "mere mortals" being able to create assets for Trainz - I did pose the question of a Sketchup to Trainz interface a long time ago and (IIRC) established content creators said that it was not practical and any assets created in such a way would be far too "resource intensive".

I think the resources (performance in game) issue is still a concern, not due to any limitations in your interface but because well meaning, but less experienced, members of the community might put converted on assets the DLS without consideration (or knowledge) of their impact on performance etc.

Mike - I offer this as food for thought - perhaps some sort of "resource monitor / impact / warning" could be incorporated?

Arraial - Are you planning to place any of your converted assets on the DLS?

(BTW - I have fallen in love with the Samba Dancer :udrool: ...I must be getting old :) !)

Many thanks Itarius for your contribution on this thread and your concerns, first if one person whit out a minimum knowledge of 3d game models and their impact in the game they gonna cause in trainz, start´s to convert whit out any concerned whit that Mather...yes they gonna appear some models far to be perfect to trainz, the tool have a warning about the quantity of polys but is not limited to 25k polys i think anyone can import for personal collection a Icon model from your City whit 100k polys and many textures no functional for trainz but this person don't gonna care about that is a icone model from their City and they want that, no Mather what. In relation in to many textures Mike continues whit they research trying to find a way to make a main Atlas textures to support all the textures model reducing in that way the no efficiency of the model. You have good question here i think to put a model in the dls wee must study the model in question and make some rectifications in skectup in order to have viability to trainz game.
I already put two models converted whit the tool but none model of any building yet, lather i think in put some.
p.s. ohh im glad you like samba girl maybe they returner whit new animations thanks.
arraial

arraial,

....i think anyone can import for personal collection a Icon model from your City whith 100k polys and many textures no functional for trainz but this person don't gonna care about that is a icone model from their City and they want that, no Matther what...

I fully understand and agree. The problem might come if they make them available on the DLS and an inexperienced user downloads them and expects their Trainz route to produce 100 FPS!

... In relation in to many textures Mike continues whith they research trying to find a way to make a main Atlas textures to support all the textures model reducing in that way the no efficiency of the model. ...

This is a problem with many existing models - not just Mike's Sketchup conversion , I think his decision top put the "library" issue on hold for the moment is a good one.

... You have good question here i think to put a model in the dls wee must study the model in question and make some rectifications in skectup in order to have viability to trainz game.

You are right - but will a new Trainz user converting from Sketchup recognise a bad asset (model) before they put it on the DLS ?

I already put two models converted whith the tool but none model of any building yet, lather i think in put some.

I would like to see one, or two, just as benchmarks - pick the best you can!

p.s. ohh im glad you like samba girl maybe they returner whith new animations thanks....

If I can help, in any way, I will.

Point me to the girl :p !!

Regards

Chris

Last edited:
Upcoming Projects

I like doing 70's era buildings so am working on a few things. . .did a 1970s era Holiday Inn Great Sign ( sorry I don't have a screenshot but it is available on 3D Warehouse - do a search for "Keith Parquette" or Holiday Inn Great Sign). . .currently working on a 70s-era K Mart with attached Kroger supermarket and various other roadside landmarks. . .as soon as I have screenshots I will share those.

Last edited:
You are right - but will a new Trainz user converting from Sketchup recognise a bad asset (model) before they put it on the DLS ?

I think this a pretty mute point, there are already tons of "bad" assets on the DLS & if the asset is faulty, the majority of them will get flagged in the upload process, especially now with the stricter uploading rules.
Also "bad" is more of an opinion not a standard, a bad asset to one person may be an excellent on to another.

peter

h

Hi people i think wee gonna pick the georgialonestar market model and then put in the dls thanks to all for your collaboration. Itarius this models from Georgialonestar can serve to you for your bench marks. But is a relative complex model i don't want a cube whit a material m.notex in the dls eheheh. Joking.
p.s. but 33k polys is far to much for trainz. The problem whit the Georgialonestar model is the publicitary words in text consumes more polys then all the rest of the model that's the problem whit this model.
arraial

Last edited:
PerRock;892298.... said:
I think this a pretty mute point, there are already tons of "bad" assets on the DLS...

As you say a mute point but what if ,for example, a novice converted something from Sketchup to Trainz - say a simple shed into something - 200k Polys ? - and (worst case scenario) 100 novices downloaded the shed?

Helpdesk get 100 tickets saying "TRAINZ HAS STOPPED"" - extreme example I know but can you see where I'm coming from?

Awesome job

Nice work on that conversion. . .I see that I will have a challenge in keeping the polys to a minimum on future models but I see unlimited potential in this. Keep up the good work and I'll keep the models comin'

Released version 2 of K-Mart / Kroger

Thank you for your feedback. . made a few changes such as replacing the text with textures and changing the sunroom at the front of the Kroger to storefront windows - this has greatly reduced the polygon count without compromising the models appearance. . .uploaded as '70s Era KMart and Kroger Version 2' on the 3D Warehouse

I can't wait for the release! As usual, I'm working on almost SOO many models for Trainz (Mostly by Objects/Scenery, Products, and maybe vehicles). Not only that, I've also model for OpenBVE, and (yet) Train Simulator 2012 (aka. Railworks 3).

But the problem is that, I don't know how am I supposed to 'UV Mapping' (or whatever what feature it is in Sketchup). I see that a few users (such as acelajade. he was an expert on sketchup, making objects and traincars for NYCTA and SF Bay Area Rapid Transit).

So, I just have to make the base mesh model WITHOUT the textures, and I'd just send it to blender. Hopefully, if anyone has a tutorial on how to do (lets say a simple house) on sketchup, that will be great for me to practice until the plugin for sketchup is released.

Hope the plugin is gonna be released soon.

~Mikey

Following this thread with a great deal of interest. If I'm ever to up my number of content items from one, this is most probably the way I'd go.

have done vehicle/rolling stock as well..

Have uploaded a few models as well such as a Greyhound MC9 coach and Amtrak Superliner that would work well for vehicles or rolling stock.. but once again as they are highly detailed the poly count wil be a major issue.. need some good guidelines as to what an acceptable poly count would have to be.

Back