Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

Blog Entries

I've read this thread and am wondering if this is available yet??

Jamie

Depending on how the Beta test process goes, I am hoping to release this somewhere around the middle to end of November.

The materials issue is absolutely a concern and that is probably the biggest drawback (still) at this point. I am currently investigating what it will take to reduce the number of individual textures and I do have some ideas (i.e., combining them into a texture map and recalculating the UV coordinates accordingly). However it is also my understanding that any textures that are tiled (vs. photos or other 'single-use' textures that are applied or projected) will still need to remain stand-alone, so this can only be taken so far. As I noted in a previous post, careful design and use of the SketchUp features that manage textures can also help considerably in this area.

As far as things going on the DLS is concerned, I explained that to my contact at Google, and as long as the free content is only referenced there will be no issues. Basically what he said was "if we didn't let people use what they create, then SketchUp wouldn't be of much use, would it?"

Regards,
    -Mike
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; October 26th, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 HF1 (90945), TS12 SP1 HF4 (61388) / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Blog Entries

Awesome, I've already gotten about 10 things I'm waiting to export, but take your time

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by H222 View Post
    Awesome, I've already gotten about 10 things I'm waiting to export, but take your time

Jamie
    Are these items on the 3D Warehouse? If so, shoot me some links and I will download a few and use them as test cases, and post images of the results.

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 HF1 (90945), TS12 SP1 HF4 (61388) / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Blog Entries

i cant be leave how many grain elevators are in the warehouse . -inprr sorry couldnt help myself

Hey also I am open I will help...... Also could you try my NEC Stuff and i can send you my Coaster F40PH-2C To finally get into trainz?

Quote Originally Posted by funforme3 View Post
    Hey also I am open I will help...... Also could you try my NEC Stuff and i can send you my Coaster F40PH-2C To finally get into trainz?
    I tried to PM you about this but was blocked from doing so.

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:

Default h

[quote=paulzmay;884965]Really impressive stuff!

I do have two concerns, though, and you've already got close to one...

I notice that your example, in common with many Sketchup models, has a LOT of materials. That's probably a bigger issue than the high poly counts.

The other potential issue is that uploads to the DLS are subject to a licence agreement that permits Auran to include them in future Trainz releases. That's commercial usage as far as I can see....

Hi there Paul, i really must agreed whit you in some points, in relation to textures i think yes, they are the inssue but wee always can reskin then optimizing the textures as the tool already convert then and reduce the size of it ,i think Mike have already some ideas for optimizing this mess of textures in one unique main texture.
    In relation to Auran using the upload models from Google i think wee can always put in the end of the description of the model (Google earth model) in this way warning indirectly Auran where they came from, i think and im sure Auran Nv3 have good sense of not put in any built in package for sell then, and wee have other choises if not going throw this way, puting him in a 3 party web site and no in the dls, if this happens. Gratings.
    arraial

Default Update on the Too-Many-Textures Issue

I believe I've located all the information I need to be able to create a texture atlas as part of the export process. No promises yet - there are many things to consider - but I can see what needs to be done and will be working on it ('experimenting' might be a better term) over the next several days to see what I can accomplish.

I'm thinking that 1024 pixels should be the max X or Y dimension for an atlas (they don't have to be square but of course must be power-of-2) in order to be compatible with 'all' video cards. Any opinons?

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Make the texture size variable form 512 to 2048 to let the user pick.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    Make the texture size variable form 512 to 2048 to let the user pick.
    Sounds reasonable, thanks for the input.

It is also becoming apparent that I may need an option that allows the generation of (a) multiple altases with the embedded textures at their original sizes, or (b) restricts the export to 1 atlas only, in which case the original textures would need to be scaled down to fit (i.e. to 50% or 25% of original size) - with a potential loss of quality.
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; October 28th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
    606026:

Quote Originally Posted by ModelerMJ View Post
    RubyTMIX is a plug-in for Google™ SketchUp® that provides direct export of SketchUp models to Trainz, with all geometry, materials and textures intact and the polygon count minimized. Using a combination of its own built-in functionality as well as fully-automated interaction with various freely-available external utility programs, the plug-in produces all files required to import a SketchUp model directly into Trainz Content Manager, where it is immediately available for use in Surveyor. The plug-in is compatible with Google SketchUp 7 and 8; with Windows XP and Windows 7; and with TS2009, TS2010 and TS12. An overview of the process with screen shots is provided in the next post.

Implementation
    * Ruby plugin, runs inside Google SketchUp 7 or 8
    * Integrates into the SketchUp menu bar
    * User interface is provided via Ruby-SketchUp 'WebDialogs'
    * Requires Trainz Mesh Importer (included) and IrfanView (obtained separately)
    * Supports preview of produced IM file in PEV's Trainz Mesh Viewer (obtained separately) prior to import into CM

Main Features
    * Automated production of all files required for use with TS2009, TS2010 and TS12
    * Immediate error- and warning-free import of all files into Content Manger from a single folder
    * Imported assets are ready for immediate use in Surveyor
    * No other content-creation tools required (e.g. Blender or G-Max)
    * Documented with PDF manuals
    * IT'S FREE

How It Works
    * Requires each SketchUp model (SKP file) to be in its own folder
    * Automatically creates all required files and folders based on file name information from SketchUp
    * Exports geometry directly to TrainzXML format
    * Automatic geometry selection logic minimizes poly count by exporting only the faces required
    * Manual selection of front/back/both/textured-only geometry is also provided
    * Export full model or selection only
    * Correctly handles mirrored components and projected textures
    * Exports SketchUp colors as non-textured materials, fully defined in the TrainzXML file
    * Exports SketchUp textures as image files with auto-resizing to closest-power-of-2 dimensions and 1:8 max ratio as needed
    * Auto-converts JPG material and photo-texture files to TGA format
    * Auto-converts PNG textures with transparency to TGA format and maintains alpha information
    * Automatic creation of 'config.txt' file -- you specify the defaults for all required items
    * Creates a thumbnail from the SketchUp model and auto-resizes it to 240x180
    * Automatically runs Trainz Mesh Importer at conclusion of process (also creates CMD file for manual re-run)
    * All post-processing options can be turned on or off, so you can tweak the results yourself
    * Retains geometry-selection and post-processing options separately for every model
    * Creates a log file for each export run that documents the conversion process to aid in troubleshooting

Acknowledgements
    A huge thank-you goes out to Peter V (PEV) for graciously providing some valuable tips about materials and geometry in TrainzXML files, and for allowing me to reference his Trainz Mesh Viewer as the preview part of my tool. Thanks also to philskene for allowing me to use his routes as backdrops for my screen shots.

Hi!

It's really great news!
    I've made a lot of models for Trainz using Sketchup !
    It'll be nice to export them in the future directly to trainz.
    I hope you'll can find a way to include attachment points so it'll be possible to make locos and rolling stock for trainz using Sketchup!

Thanx a lot for all your work , wonderfull

Attachment points are definintely on the to-do list. Thanks for the kind words.

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:

United States of America, Michigan, Ann Arbor
    Blog Entries

even if you can't do attachment points. You could always make up the parts in SkU & then use PEV's Attachment Maker to add attachment points.

peter
    ~Peter

I do not provide support via PM.
    Now at a new location!
    www.americantrainz.com

ModelerMJ: This is what I have done in Sketch 8 and I love doing it..so if you find away to get this into Trainz and also find away to animate Wow..
    Bob Cass December 15th, 1937 - February 23, 2015 Thank you for receiving him, Father.