Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

United States of America, new york, fishkill

Just by seeing this, I defintely can't wait. It will make everything alot easier. Can you show a screenshot of a railcar or locomotive from sketchup being operating on a piece of track in trainz.

for a train engine that isnt really a lot of polygons. i guess then the question would be, can it make LoD models too?..

Blog Entries

just wondering, if we find a 3d model we like at the warehouse, do we need to let the author know what we plan on doing with their model? -inprr

Hay YES!!!!!!! Now my Surfliner Cab Car can finally work for Trainz !!!!! and my NEC stuff to

Get Ready Because Funforme3 is back on Track!!!!

@inprr - That would be proper etiquette, as I noted in my original post.

@norfolksouthern37 - Just regular meshes right now... It took about 300 hours of research and coding to get to where I am now, so I am kind of thinking "one step at a time". I am however quite willing to put in more time to make this tool as useful as possible for everyone... provided I can find a few 'experts' that are willing to work with me. I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to content creation, so if y'all wait for me to figure it out on my own... let's just say we'll all be waiting a while.

@malikrthr - As noted in my original post, it currently does static scenery objects only.

Regards,
    -Mike
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; October 23rd, 2011 at 09:56 PM.
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 HF1 (90945), TS12 SP1 HF4 (61388) / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Just add a smoke stack to a building with a "a.smoke" if you can get that to work roiling stock should but animation may not, dose Sketcup have animation?

I was waiting for that from years!!! that's one of the most important additions to Trainz: A new era will begin. Now , with semplicity and very quickly will be possible to create prototypical routes. Can't wait for release. Thank you very much.

United States of America, West Virginia, Charleston

dude any big rig tractor cabs in there like an International 9200i ?
    Back from the Dead.

Hey ModelerMJ I can help you....(Not with coding) but I can make like Tutorials and stuff because I had been the one to make a method on how to convert the sketch-up files into trainz so.....I might be a big help. Also I can do graphic design and stuff. Please!! Contact me I can help A Lot!!!

Blog Entries

Agreed, some common sense needs to be exercised when picking something from the warehouse.....

Hi all. First off all i must congratulate Mike (Modelermj) for your amazing and very welcome tool and i like and gona post you for using and give feedback of then if its possible off course.
    I like to say here i already convert around 50 models from Google warehouse and many of this models in the dls , are a very low efficiency models not because the polys but because of the materials and separated textures, as a example i post here a model image of the Wellington stadium, they don't have more the 2k polys but have 50 textures and 60 materials putting the trainz engine almost overload, solution >> make a main texture whit all this 50 textures and start to uwrap all the model again , this is a tedious process because i already waist many time in the model, i import then in Google s ketchup pro and converted in 3ds format in max 2008 64 bits because i have the tool 3D Photo Browser 10.04 64 b for convert in other formats but specially for make a poly reduction whit more efficiency then 3d max do, then i must reexport from 3d photo browser to 3d max again, then save then in Max format in order to reopen in 3dmax2009 32b because is the version they work whit the trs exporter and inside this version assign all textures convert in power of 2 and put then in tga and many png alpha textures converted then to, in other words is a pain in the a...... well, this tool from Mike is a Miracle for Trainz.
    In relation to the Amtrak p42 i download directly from the Skecthup pro and made the same steps i talking above and experiment a poly reduction in Photo Browser and give me 7.800 polys more then that i think they distorted the mesh so lods here only if make then by hand again, but i think 10kp to 20kp is a nice mesh i already see here in dls and in payware content some locos whit 30k polys and more. If they have good lods i think is not going to be a problem. Thanks
    arraial

Last edited by arraial; October 25th, 2011 at 07:32 AM.

arraial,

I agree, the plethora of textures that you get from SketchUp is a big issue. I have however seen some attempts at addressing this type of thing in Ruby that we may be able to leverage, now that I at least have the basic process working.

I also replied to your PM. Based on your post here I am definitely looking forward to having your help on this... you obviously have the knowledge and level of experience I am looking for. Many thanks for your offer, and also for your kind words.

Regards,
    -Mike

Edit: Just a note... until a 'real' texture-reduction solution can be implemented (I've started researching it and am starting to get a few ideas) there are a few things that can be done in SketchUp itself to reduce the texture load.

1) If you use large photo textures and only apply a small part of them to a face, the entire large photo still gets exported. In this case you can use the 'Make Unique Texture' feature (right click a face and it's on the context menu) on each face that draws from that larger photo. This way only the parts of the photo that are actually used will be exported, which will at least result in smaller images.

2) You can also use the 'Combine Textures' feature if you have photo-textured faces that are adjacent and coplanar. What this does is make their individual textures into one single texture, which then gets exported instead of the individual textures, thus lessening the drawing load in the end as well.
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; October 25th, 2011 at 08:50 PM.
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 HF1 (90945), TS12 SP1 HF4 (61388) / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Thanks very much Mike i read your pm i awaiting for the finishing improves you are made in to the program.
    For the Inprr the answer is that , you dont have to warning the Author because Google already gives to you the license to use it but they always better and is nice to sent a notification to the Author.
    arraial
    11. Content license from you

(a) You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
    (b) By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content or derivative works thereof which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
    This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
    (c) By publicly posting or displaying the content you give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute (subject to the restrictions set forth in Sections 11.4 and 20.3 of these Terms) any Content or derivative works thereof which you publicly post or display on or through the Services.
    11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
    11.3 You retain the right to: (a) make content that you upload to 3D Warehouse using Google SketchUp or third party services available under different license terms, and (b) stop distributing such Content through 3D Warehouse at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw the license granted under these Terms. In order to stop distributing such Content through 3D Warehouse, you must terminate these Terms as set forth in Section 13, or utilize the content removal function provided within the service, in which case the content removal will be effective within two (2) days.
    11.4 Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, without Google’s prior authorization, you may not: (i) aggregate Content obtained from Google Services for redistribution, or (ii) use or distribute Content obtained from Google Services in a mapping or geographic application or service.
    11.5 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
    11.6 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

Manchester, IA (temporarily); Ann Arbor, MI (normally)
    Blog Entries

just a bit of an FYI, thats a P40 not a P42. The easiest way to tell is the Strobe Lights above the windscreen & the number (800-899)

peter
    ~Peter

Now at a new location!
    www.americantrainz.com

Really impressive stuff!

I do have two concerns, though, and you've already got close to one...

I notice that your example, in common with many Sketchup models, has a LOT of materials. That's probably a bigger issue than the high poly counts.

The other potential issue is that uploads to the DLS are subject to a licence agreement that permits Auran to include them in future Trainz releases. That's commercial usage as far as I can see....

Paul

p.s. just realised I posted this before reading page 2 (doh). Still applies though...
    Last edited by paulzmay; October 26th, 2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: ps
    Space reserved for Signature
    Temporary Sign