RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

Regarding the query from The Pascha:
When starting a spline with SketchUp one end must be touching the "red axis" or you will get the periodic break in your spline.

This setting I choose. Please mark which is the right axis.
d880g399metbmmze5.jpg

@ulipascha
The correct procedure for creating splines is described in detail in the RubyTMIX User's Guide. It includes pictures that answer your question.

@Nifinho
It sounds like you have inside-out geometry. The solution for this is also described in great detail in the RubyTMIX User's Guide.

Regards,
-Mike

This setting I choose. Please mark which is the right axis.
d880g399metbmmze5.jpg

Keep the left of the fence on the green line, rotate the spline counter-clockwise until it is on the red dotted line.
Also when importing to Trainz indicate in RubyTMIX that the splice is a fence, not structure.

Could someone please direct me to the User's Guide? I cant't find it on the site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't see that it comes in the file. Sorry for causing a needless bump.

Last edited:
I downloaded a pack of vehicles made by PerRock made in SketchUp and I would like to know how to edit the texture of one of them, the school bus. I want to replace the lettering on the side. But there is no texture file in the folder of the bus that has the graphics of the bus on it.

Hello all,

I just installed sketchup for the first time and added the RubyTMIX extension so I could get some city buildings off the 3D Warehouse.

The first 5 or so exports worked fine, after that I began to get this error:

Any Help would be appreciated!

"The first 5 or so exports worked fine, after that I began to get this error:"
without specifying the error object, it is difficult with the help. I would say more objects attempt by the warehouse. Ignore the error message first

The error is produced because file names cannot contain question marks. RubyTMIX is attempting to construct a file name from the texture name, which can contain question marks since it is just text. Normally there is a filter for invalid characters, but I may have not taken the question mark into account. I will put this on my list of things to check for future updates.

To get around this, use the material browser in SketchUp and rename the offending texture to something appropriate that does not have any reserved or Unicode characters in it.

HTH
-Mike

Last edited:
RubyTMIX only exports static models. It is possible to animate objects post-export, i.e. using PEV's Attachment Point Maker, but that is a rather involved process that is outside my area of expertise. Having said that, I believe others have animated SketchUp models in that way, so perhaps you can find more information about the process by searching through other areas of the Trainz forums.

HTH
-Mike

Hi ModelerMJ. Is RubyTMIX compatible with TANE and Sketchup Make 2016? I tried to export some buildings into TANE but received an error about the building being an unsupported file type. What steps can I use to successfully import buildings from Sketchup to TANE? Would I have to create an individual folder within the Material Texture Images folder for each item that I would like to import?

I haven't yet put any time into making RubyTMIX compatible with T:ANE. I am planning a round of updates soon but my hobby time has been pretty much non-existent for a while now. There's this thing called 'life' that keeps getting in the way...

Apologies
-Mike

Has RubyTMIX been updated for sketchup 2016 or is it still only sketchup 8? Just curious to know if I missed something.

I found this on a Sketchup forum help page and it fixed Sketchup 2015/16 for me, exporting into Tane without a problem
If you can't find you apps folder make sure you have no hidden files in control panel on your desktop start menu

If there is a problem finding the Plugins directory
to manually install a plugin - in either Windows or Mac - open SketchUp and open the Ruby Console (found under the Window menu). Enter the following code:
UI.openURL("file://#{Sketchup.find_support_file("Plugins")}")

Press Enter (Return on a Mac.)

This will open a window with the correct directory for your Sketchup plugin.
Now go to your
Ruby Tmix executable file and right click it and install it at the address shown to you in Ruby Console window in the Sketchup program that is found under the tab in window
After this i done correctly a new tab will appear in Sketchup called { Extensions}
Set your Trainz user name and whatever you need to set there and off you go all is done.

Hi there,

I've just installed RubyTMIX in SU 2016 successfully, however I have ran into a problem configuring it. After entering all the necessary details I am unable to save, it does not do anything at all when I click the top left button:

d0e427047a6de9e2cde35938eb8ac2ee.png

Last edited:
Hi there,

I've just installed RubyTMIX in SU 2016 successfully, however I have ran into a problem configuring it. After entering all the necessary details I am unable to save, it does not do anything at all when I click the top left button:

d0e427047a6de9e2cde35938eb8ac2ee.png

I'll look into it. Thanks for the information.

UPDATE: I have reproduced the issue. It appears to be related to the way the latest version of Internet Explorer handles certain javascript functions. Why does the IE version matter? In RubyTMIX, all the dialogs are actually web pages, and so run within an instance of IE. The latest version of IE is particularly picky about element naming conventions and, as a result of what appears to be some fat-fingering by me that has gone unnoticed until now, is passing over one of the elements in the configuration dialog's HTML code. I will work on a fix and post an updated version as soon as I have time. Apologies...

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
Back