RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

I can use this in Trainz the new era ?

I have purchased T:ANE but have not installed it yet, so I do not know the import requirements. For the moment I cannot say that RubyTMIX will work with T:ANE. When I have time to experiment then I will have more information to offer. Right now I cannot say when that will be as I have many other commitments that are taking priority.

Regards,
-Mike

Can anybody tell me how do I get the plugin button to show up on google sketchup?

If the plugin is installed correctly, there will be a Plugins menu in SketchUp and you will find RubyTMIX on that menu. Please refer to the detailed User's Guide that is included in the RubyTMIX download.

HTH
-Mike

I have Sketchup Make 2015 and the Trainz XML exporter works but I can't get the PEV's Trainz Mesh Viewer to work from within Sketchup. I fixed the problem by telling Trainz Mesh Viewer to open *.IM files after clicking on them. I wish that I can add attachment points in SketchUp instead of in PEVSoft Attachment Maker.

Last edited:
Would anyone know why Content Manager comes up with "unable to read asset config file". Importing the content doesn't work as a result. Any help appreciated :)

Hi Mike,

I have gone through your manual and looked up resizing. (Great manual, btw)

The manual talks of how the plugin will resize objects nearest to the power-of-2 - there is an option button we can select. Fine.

However, I am looking to resize something very big; the manual talks about resizing images manually. Suggests use of Irfanview, Gimp, Paint, etc, etc.

If an object is large, how do I resize manually, and what actions do I need to take? Simply resize images, edit the xml file, .... ... ...

What are the steps?

ta very muchly.

Error in Sketchup Make 2016 and Win 10 and RubyTMIX. Will no mesh file. Am grateful for any advice

error Message:

d5ow1s4j56xzc9i3g.gif

When i built the Sydney Harbour Bridge in sketchup i had to break the bridge up into about seven different section because it was to big to render as one piece.
For instance
Main Pylons
Top Arch
Bottom Arch
Main Deck
Entry Ramps at either end
Side webbing
Support Piers

All pieces make the 1 or the hole project, you just have to break whatever it is that you are building down into section that can be renderd and put together in Trainz
To my understanding there is no way around it, i do believe that the pieces make it easier for Trainz to proccess.
Regards steve

Error in Sketchup Make 2016 and Win 10 and RubyTMIX. Will no mesh file. Am grateful for any advice

Well, I suggest the technical answer is that the xml file is corrupt. XML tags are delimited by the < and > characters and it appears the file is missing the < character. If the file has 238, 371 lines of data then Steve123's suggestion seems appropriate.

I've never examined RubyTMix but I'm guessing it creates the XML file for TrainzMeshImporter to convert to IM, KIN and texture.txt files.

I kept getting errors untill i broke the asset down into smaller section, { this only happend on the Harbour Bridge } because it was to big in one piece, from what i have been told GMax and Blender are even less able / capable to render large assets.

Thank you. I hope cope. Have deleted all traces of RubyTMIX. The Regedit cleared. Will then again RubyTMIX integrate new ....

I can only very little Sketchup. For my claim, it is perfectly adequate. All other Auran Trainz accompanying CAD programs are not an option for me :)

... from what i have been told GMax and Blender are even less able / capable to render large assets.

There are several issues. The 3D program itself, the export code, the import process and Trainz. If the code is sound then the only limitation is likely to be memory. AFAIK, the Blender exporter can handle very large objects and I recall Torsten (the author) saying he had tested the exporter to a very large number of tris (triangles/polys). I've never struck that limitation. However, I do recall getting a corrupt XML file similar to that described in the original post. I've forgotten the cause but it wasn't a poly issue and more likely some option I chose for a material or texture.

If you are going to make something really large and complex, such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge, then a good approach would be to make it as several assets with LOD for each part. Given the way Trainz renders a scene, you are unlikely to see all parts of the bridge structure at LOD 0 (high detail LOD).

It doesn't really matter what 3D tool you use, but it does matter how the model is used and rendered in Trainz.

The Harbour Bridge section had at least a 350,000 poly count per section and sketchup renderd it just, and i think you are correct pcas1986 it did have something to do with memory,

I lined up about 7 or 8 Harbour Bridges and Sydney Central Station that i built in Sketchup and it didn't miss a beat, it had shown all structures complete with if i recall with a framerate of 18/24.

So i had over 18 million poly count within 16 base maps and it worked fine.

TANE%202015-04-15%2009-54-39-59_zpsgekofavo.png

TANE%202015-04-15%2017-03-41-30_zpsa0hinkfd.png

TANE%202015-04-15%2010-15-28-24_zpsvw7acvjg.png

TANE%202015-04-15%2010-14-58-83_zpsqahhn5l8.png

Regards steve123

Last edited:
I used to drive across the bridge every day back in the 70's and early 80's. i.e. when the toll was 20c. I can well believe it would be a very high poly count. Your test of adding several bridges is actually the kind of test recommended by N3V and getting 18/24FPS is pretty good. I can only assume you have a good video card.

Did you model the harbour as well? It would be cool having the ferries running in and out of Circular Quay. When I had Flight Simulator installed I used to like flying a 737 under the Bridge. :hehe:

I have 2 Nvidia 980GTX 4GB DDR Ram, Intel 4770K Overclocked to 4.6 Mhz, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 1200 Watt Corsair Power suppy with about 7 0r 8 Sata Hard Drives all pushing a 65" Sony 4K TV.
What do you mean by model? I had to apply for some plans of the Bridge in order to know what was what on the Bridge
I am building a HO Scale model of the Harbour Bridge on my layout above my garage using old track rail, i hope the floor holds up as it will be very heavy once finished, but thats a long time of as it is a life long project.
Regards steve123

Back