RubyTMIX: A TrainzXML Exporter for Google SketchUp

Just add a smoke stack to a building with a "a.smoke" if you can get that to work roiling stock should but animation may not, dose Sketcup have animation?

I was waiting for that from years!!! that's one of the most important additions to Trainz: A new era will begin. Now , with semplicity and very quickly will be possible to create prototypical routes. Can't wait for release. Thank you very much.
:udrool::udrool::udrool:

Hey ModelerMJ I can help you....(Not with coding) but I can make like Tutorials and stuff because I had been the one to make a method on how to convert the sketch-up files into trainz so.....I might be a big help. Also I can do graphic design and stuff. Please!! Contact me I can help A Lot!!!

Agreed, some common sense needs to be exercised when picking something from the warehouse.....

Hi all. First off all i must congratulate Mike (Modelermj) for your amazing and very welcome tool and i like and gona post you for using and give feedback of then if its possible off course.
I like to say here i already convert around 50 models from Google warehouse and many of this models in the dls , are a very low efficiency models not because the polys but because of the materials and separated textures, as a example i post here a model image of the Wellington stadium, they don't have more the 2k polys but have 50 textures and 60 materials putting the trainz engine almost overload, solution >> make a main texture whit all this 50 textures and start to uwrap all the model again , this is a tedious process because i already waist many time in the model, i import then in Google s ketchup pro and converted in 3ds format in max 2008 64 bits because i have the tool 3D Photo Browser 10.04 64 b for convert in other formats but specially for make a poly reduction whit more efficiency then 3d max do, then i must reexport from 3d photo browser to 3d max again, then save then in Max format in order to reopen in 3dmax2009 32b because is the version they work whit the trs exporter and inside this version assign all textures convert in power of 2 and put then in tga and many png alpha textures converted then to, in other words is a pain in the a...... well, this tool from Mike is a Miracle for Trainz.
In relation to the Amtrak p42 i download directly from the Skecthup pro and made the same steps i talking above and experiment a poly reduction in Photo Browser and give me 7.800 polys more then that i think they distorted the mesh so lods here only if make then by hand again, but i think 10kp to 20kp is a nice mesh i already see here in dls and in payware content some locos whit 30k polys and more. If they have good lods i think is not going to be a problem. Thanks
arraial
4100d4b9a917f550b22e9653c35d303a.jpg

74986564fdfeea48da20f58b14d58231.jpg

Last edited:
arraial,

I agree, the plethora of textures that you get from SketchUp is a big issue. I have however seen some attempts at addressing this type of thing in Ruby that we may be able to leverage, now that I at least have the basic process working.

I also replied to your PM. Based on your post here I am definitely looking forward to having your help on this... you obviously have the knowledge and level of experience I am looking for. Many thanks for your offer, and also for your kind words.

Regards,
-Mike

Edit: Just a note... until a 'real' texture-reduction solution can be implemented (I've started researching it and am starting to get a few ideas) there are a few things that can be done in SketchUp itself to reduce the texture load.

1) If you use large photo textures and only apply a small part of them to a face, the entire large photo still gets exported. In this case you can use the 'Make Unique Texture' feature (right click a face and it's on the context menu) on each face that draws from that larger photo. This way only the parts of the photo that are actually used will be exported, which will at least result in smaller images.

2) You can also use the 'Combine Textures' feature if you have photo-textured faces that are adjacent and coplanar. What this does is make their individual textures into one single texture, which then gets exported instead of the individual textures, thus lessening the drawing load in the end as well.

Last edited:
Thanks very much Mike i read your pm i awaiting for the finishing improves you are made in to the program.
For the Inprr the answer is that , you dont have to warning the Author because Google already gives to you the license to use it but they always better and is nice to sent a notification to the Author.
arraial
11. Content license from you

(a) You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
(b) By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content or derivative works thereof which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.
This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
(c) By publicly posting or displaying the content you give other end users of the Services a perpetual, sublicensable, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute (subject to the restrictions set forth in Sections 11.4 and 20.3 of these Terms) any Content or derivative works thereof which you publicly post or display on or through the Services.
11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
11.3 You retain the right to: (a) make content that you upload to 3D Warehouse using Google SketchUp or third party services available under different license terms, and (b) stop distributing such Content through 3D Warehouse at any time; provided, however that any such election will not serve to withdraw the license granted under these Terms. In order to stop distributing such Content through 3D Warehouse, you must terminate these Terms as set forth in Section 13, or utilize the content removal function provided within the service, in which case the content removal will be effective within two (2) days.
11.4 Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, without Google’s prior authorization, you may not: (i) aggregate Content obtained from Google Services for redistribution, or (ii) use or distribute Content obtained from Google Services in a mapping or geographic application or service.
11.5 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.
11.6 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

just a bit of an FYI, thats a P40 not a P42. The easiest way to tell is the Strobe Lights above the windscreen & the number (800-899)

peter

Really impressive stuff!

I do have two concerns, though, and you've already got close to one...

I notice that your example, in common with many Sketchup models, has a LOT of materials. That's probably a bigger issue than the high poly counts.

The other potential issue is that uploads to the DLS are subject to a licence agreement that permits Auran to include them in future Trainz releases. That's commercial usage as far as I can see....

Paul

p.s. just realised I posted this before reading page 2 (doh). Still applies though...

Last edited:
Depending on how the Beta test process goes, I am hoping to release this somewhere around the middle to end of November.

The materials issue is absolutely a concern and that is probably the biggest drawback (still) at this point. I am currently investigating what it will take to reduce the number of individual textures and I do have some ideas (i.e., combining them into a texture map and recalculating the UV coordinates accordingly). However it is also my understanding that any textures that are tiled (vs. photos or other 'single-use' textures that are applied or projected) will still need to remain stand-alone, so this can only be taken so far. As I noted in a previous post, careful design and use of the SketchUp features that manage textures can also help considerably in this area.

As far as things going on the DLS is concerned, I explained that to my contact at Google, and as long as the free content is only referenced there will be no issues. Basically what he said was "if we didn't let people use what they create, then SketchUp wouldn't be of much use, would it?"

Regards,
-Mike

Last edited:
Awesome, I've already gotten about 10 things I'm waiting to export, but take your time

Jamie

Awesome, I've already gotten about 10 things I'm waiting to export, but take your time

Jamie

Are these items on the 3D Warehouse? If so, shoot me some links and I will download a few and use them as test cases, and post images of the results.

Regards,
-Mike

i cant be leave how many grain elevators are in the warehouse :udrool:. -inprr sorry couldnt help myself

Hey also I am open I will help...... Also could you try my NEC Stuff and i can send you my Coaster F40PH-2C To finally get into trainz?

h

Really impressive stuff!

I do have two concerns, though, and you've already got close to one...

I notice that your example, in common with many Sketchup models, has a LOT of materials. That's probably a bigger issue than the high poly counts.

The other potential issue is that uploads to the DLS are subject to a licence agreement that permits Auran to include them in future Trainz releases. That's commercial usage as far as I can see....

Hi there Paul, i really must agreed whit you in some points, in relation to textures i think yes, they are the inssue but wee always can reskin then optimizing the textures as the tool already convert then and reduce the size of it ,i think Mike have already some ideas for optimizing this mess of textures in one unique main texture.
In relation to Auran using the upload models from Google i think wee can always put in the end of the description of the model (Google earth model) in this way warning indirectly Auran where they came from, i think and im sure Auran Nv3 have good sense of not put in any built in package for sell then, and wee have other choises if not going throw this way, puting him in a 3 party web site and no in the dls, if this happens. Gratings.
arraial

Update on the Too-Many-Textures Issue

I believe I've located all the information I need to be able to create a texture atlas as part of the export process. No promises yet - there are many things to consider - but I can see what needs to be done and will be working on it ('experimenting' might be a better term) over the next several days to see what I can accomplish.

I'm thinking that 1024 pixels should be the max X or Y dimension for an atlas (they don't have to be square but of course must be power-of-2) in order to be compatible with 'all' video cards. Any opinons?

Regards,
-Mike

Back