Coming soon to a Trainz near you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is probably not going to be a cab forward, based on evidence that this is going to be a 50's creation

I'd like to see some cab forwards, I could use one on the OC&E I've been working on for three years (OC&E = Oregon California & Eastern/Ran from Klamath Falls To Bly Oregon)

When I first saw the image I immediately thought of Norfolk and Western. But taking a second look, I'm sort of leaning toward a Canadian Pacific Selkirk. The snow capped rocky mountains in the background kind of give that feeling as well.

Uh, once again, load up TS12 and compare the image in this thread to the trainz 12 main menu splash screen.

If the image has any relevance to the 'train' being discussed then it would have to be a Y6b. Financially that makes no sense. From the point of view of the text posted, it makes no sense - Y6s were freight locomotives, so all the discussion of passenger operations and competing with airlines etc, makes no sense.

Ergo, the image is a red-herring at worst, or an irrelevant 'guess the loco' image at best.

I think an ATSF Passenger train, maybe the El Cap or Super Chief, or, maybe the SP Daylight

Rob, the tension is killin' us!:hehe: :hehe:

Jamie

I'm standing by my Dome Car consist guess. Not many innovations in passenger equipment occurred after 1950, generally speaking. The railroads tried to pull in riders by launching their luxury cross country named trains. Of course, cross country ended before the Eastern seaboard due to the smaller tunnels and bridge clearances.

But you guys know this already...:eek:

I'm standing by my Dome Car consist guess. Not many innovations in passenger equipment occurred after 1950, generally speaking. The railroads tried to pull in riders by launching their luxury cross country named trains. Of course, cross country ended before the Eastern seaboard due to the smaller tunnels and bridge clearances.

But you guys know this already...:eek:

Well, my guess - the GM 'Train of Tomorrow' demonstrator - included one of the first sets of production dome cars. So, there's that...

ToT would be a good set to release too, since it toured the US and would therefore fit fairly well on most late-1940s/early-1950s era routes.

It's also about the only GM locomotive not represented in trainz, afaik (although there was a thread where someone claimed to be working on it a while back).

Also, the Dome cars from the ToT went on to become UP Dome cars, which are always in demand for trainz, so a ToT payware pack would likely attract purchases from people wanting UP repaints of the dome cars - although I suspect N3V will attach their usual foolish 'no repaints' rule, and thus scupper that idea.

ok let us know at least if its diesel or steam. we all know its not the shape of the pic you used, thats just from the cover of TS12.

if it were diesel, i would guess a FA-1, because here on long island we had those till the late 70's pulling passenger cars.

i have no clue if it were steam, because you mentioned 1950's, and i dont really know of any passenger steam locos after the 1950's.

give us some clues so we can have fun with this, like if its diesel or steam, what country/ state/ city manufactured the loco, or how many axles it has, or if it has a "cowplow":D on front.

New passenger train

I have two guesses. The CB&Q, DRGW and WP's California Zephyr. Actually The PRR had a couple of sleeper cars in there also. The GN's Empire Builder. I think these were the two premier passenger trains thru the Rockies. The CB&Q pulled The Empire Builder from Chicago to Minneapolis with two E7's. The CB&Q occasionally used their own baggage and rpo/baggage instead of Empire builder cars. The CB&Q invented and built the first two dome cars in the Aurora Illinois shops just a mile from me. Budd used these cars as a pattern for their production dome cars. The California Zephyr, therefore, was the first passenger train to use domed cars and The Empire Builder was a close second. The Great Northern owned The Chicago Burlington and Quincy.

Last edited:
It is definitely a steam locomotive. It looks like a selkirk or a royal hudson. But it is supposedly American and a steam locomotive and it doesn't have smoke deflectors?

as people had said earlier, it probably won't be a steam locomotive based on it is going to be a 50's train and the fact that the picture is just the Y6b from the ts12 front cover, in which that was already made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back