Coming soon to a Trainz near you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Trainz Team
mysterylocologo.jpg

By the 1950's, passenger revenues on America's railroads had long since passed their heyday. Automobiles were fast becoming an affordable option for the modern traveller, and flight was also steadily gaining in popularity.

If railroad passenger services were to survive, operators realised they would need to change their thinking and find a more cost effective approach.

Manufacturers of railroad equipment were also taking note of the changing age and sought to provide solutions for their valuable customers. How would rail travel survive in the future and what shape would tomorrow's trains take?

Can you guess what the mystery train is?

Stay tuned!

~R~

Last edited:
Several hundered passenger trains passed through Altoona during WWII
Now there are only 2 trains per day (one east, the other west) through Altoona.
Shamtrak died, long ago, and passenger trains in the US are doomed.

Last edited:
Not much of a national passenger system at all over there. A bit kind of sad when you consider what was.

There's hardly enough information to make a guess. Like any business the changes to rail passenger volume was anticipated years before 1950. I'll take a stab, pinning my guess on the only significant change around that time and say The California Zephyr? The use of dome cars was the only factor I can identify that the railroads used to try to stem the loss of passengers.

I thought this thread was just a bit of fun, but I must be mistaken in that.

I believe this is the unofficial semi-not-quite-announcement of the next payware locomotive that N3V will be selling once Rob has finished making it.

At least it's a bit more of a challenge than the 'duchess' semi-not-quite-announcement thread was :D

Edit:

As to my guess, I personally suspect that the image (and the steam locomotive it suggests) in Rob's post is a red herring, and that the payware being constructed is the GM 'Train of Tomorrow', all the clues in the text hint at this, IMO.

Last edited:
I"m an Aussie and the only loco I can think of that if shaped like never ran over there...

maybe it could be my fav loco ad 60 class

Perhaps it would be more fun for you if you took a guess. So far, there's two.;)
Ah, but there's not enough information for a guess.

Wait a minute, I don't need any information for a guess. It's Stephenson's Rocket on a previously unknown tour of the US in the 1950's. :)

I'm thinking it's a UP with 'elephant ears' - possibly a 4-8-4. I agree with Ed; dome cars are the only thing that make marketing sense, trying to compete with airlines. We shall see.

Darrel

Coupla options

GM-EMD Aerotrain-Total Flop
NYC-Baldwin Xplorer-Total Flop
NYNH&H-FM P-12-42 Dan'l Webster-Total Flop
NYNH&H-Budd semistreamlined budd cars-????
Bombardier Jet Train-Really took off with VIA
Rohr Turbotrain-Junked right off of Amtrak

I think there's more.....

That's just off the top of my head. I also haven't seen any of the CB&Q Zephyers, thought someone would have made the Pioneer Zephyer a long time ago. Or the UP Citys/M10000-6. Those would be nice!:D

The San Francisco chief, it also had high level cars, othe than that I think it would be the el capitan or a UP city train

mysterylocologo.jpg

By the 1950's, passenger revenues on America's railroads had long since passed their heyday. Automobiles were fast becoming an affordable option for the modern traveller, and flight was also steadily gaining in popularity.

If railroad passenger services were to survive, operators realised they would need to change their thinking and find a more cost effective approach.

Manufacturers of railroad equipment were also taking note of the changing age and sought to provide solutions for their valuable customers. How would rail travel survive in the future and what shape would tomorrow's trains take?

Stay tuned!

~R~
my guess is the up big boy!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back