Supertrain : Once more with feeling....

The Route

Still working on it folks just so you know, cleaning up a lot of missing content, replacing said content with something like it but still used for current game version, for instance
The crossing lights I used in the older game didn't port over namely, so found a generic one that's pretty much DIY add your own gates, or booms, whatever you call them
The crossing lights as you know go on the small grey squares on my crossings, I set them up that way so you can do up the crossings however you like, want wig-wags, just plop 'em there
Want just a simple wood sign, same deal, and so on

Custom Scenery

As you know I tested Blender on making something special for the route, good news IT WORKED, bad news it didn't texture it at all, so that was a bust pretty much, I think it was due to
the size of the textures, blender has no issue with that, textures can be any size at all at least in blender, once out of blender however, Trainz seems to have an limit to texture sizes
anything over 512 x 512 and it's good night Charlie, everything shows up as white or grey, depending on lighting conditions

So I had to remove the Easter egg I made, yea that was pretty much what I was doing was making something you had to hunt down in the route editor for only can't just see it when in
the train on the tracks, I got it in my head that there are these big empty spaces in the route, made to help knit together different maps back in the day, so I put something fun in there
Instead that should be easy to spot driving in the train or in chase view, both should work, well in testing they worked any way

However if can use something I did up in another game, like I did with Gizmoplex & Xanadu, made for VRC & Planet Coaster in that order, I have a 3D model of something I can place in LA
like I did The Big Bus, Gizmoplex, Hollywood Sign, that last one I resized and placed on what little hill there is on the map, still looks a little bit big but then again wanted to be able to see it
from a bit away from the object itself, so it's one or the other for that, use the GIANT SIZED ONE or the not as big but can still be seen from the tracks one, whatever both will be on my
Google drive, as A gmax file and as cdp so you can resize it yourself if you want to do so

Anyway the 3D Model I have may not really belong in LA, just like The Gizmoplex belongs on the moon as we all know ... I put it there anyway ... Mostly I'm putting everything that's HOLLYWOOD
there in LA, things from Movies namely and yes I got a lot of 3D models that can go there in one way or another, but I don't want to make it too crowded so I got to pick & choose from what I have.

I also noticed on the Las Vegas part of the route an "air strip" out in the middle of nowhere, no town or city nearby, like maybe a gas station and a fast food joint, that are NOT those things as we all know
I'm wondering how to make an "OBJECT" to put there in the air space above it, possibly glowing at night like I did the neon for XANADU, that was a fun experiment in how to get the game to do neon up,
But the idea is to have it look TRADITIONAL none of the niggly bits slapped on like ILM had raided a model store & stuck everything but the kitchen sink, granted they might of done that to see if anyone
would spot in by freeze framing a scene in one of their film they did FX on, hey it happens

The OBJECT in question is not of this world so not so sure what to name it, NUMBER is easy, name is the tough part, calling it UNKNOWN is right out as people may think it's broken in some way or another,
or not named in the first place, I could name it after my Fave 1977 Spielberg Film CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, title is a bit long for a folder if you ask me, or simply CE3K for short ;-)
Or X-Files, or just UFO or whatever the term is nowadays for such an OBJECT, maybe call it NOT caught on tape ? heh heh heh heh heh

Trouble is that in the older games it will glow like mad, in the later games, not so much, still trying to figure that one out, XANADU looks just fine at night 'till we get to TRS 2019, oh well

OR I could slap the SOL over it as I got that in 3D ...

Last edited:
A R E A 4 2

jz2FXtn.jpg

UPDATES

I tried different ways to get the SOL into game, it would not go in no matter what I tried

Conversion from SketchUp to Blender to FBX to Trainz (as it started out as a SketchUp model) No Dice

Conversion from SketchUp to Blender to DFX to Gmax ... Gmax crashed file too complex / large ?

Conversion from Sketchup to Trainz generated a config file & a thumbnail but after that NADA

So the UFO will have to do as I guess the SOL is overly complex and might crash the game

Granted I could just make it in Gmax, a low poly version, just a giant floating bone ;-)

So you're now getting into modelling Supertall Skycrapers? I hope you don't model any of the actual "planned/vision" skyscrapers in Trainz. :eek:

That would be a great asset for searching locations of unknowns! Sounds like you are "SOL" on the SOL, whatever it is.

That would be a great asset for searching locations of unknowns! Sounds like you are "SOL" on the SOL, whatever it is.

To put it mildly yea, the SOL I found on Sketchup was possibly too complex, so I did my own low-poly version in Gmax the other day looks fine

Okay redoing my google drive a bit so it's less cluttered, and so I don't have duplicates of everything, saves me space as the Google Drive can be only so big after all

Eight <folder> contains scenery this is something that stays the same from game to game pretty much and does not need to be messed with to work in later games as it's just scenery after all, not much to mess with then

Eight Plus <folder> contains different versions of SuperTrain for the games, mostly due to having to redo the configs for changes in each one so whatever your running pick that one only, 2004, 2006, Classics, TANE, TMR, 2019

Trackz <folder> contains most of the Tracks for the train, some might be missing, let me know as I remade the tunnels & bridges & crossings with the newer tracks as the wide gauge stuff kept breaking for one reason or another

Setz <folder> Amtrak, Superliners, Viewlines, Autotrain, Box Car, Caboose, German Supertrain, odds & ends namely that don't fit elsewhere

Routez <folder> Hows this for less clutter ? You want the actual routes for the train so you don't have to make them yourself ? Sessons as well ? Here you go

GMAX <folder> contains more folders inside it containing all my Gmax files & skins used to make all this content and then some extras

2022 <folder> just in case there are major changes to the game & I have to start from square one with everything (aka) Nine Point Zero goes here - If we're lucky we won't need to do anything at all

Screenz <folder> Screen Shots, kinda obvious

FAQ <folder> Wanna look at the old FAQ files I made back in the day ?

Last edited:
Uploaded the route & sessons for TMR to my google drive

So that should be everything now all in one place to download

Let me know if anything is missing or broken

TS12 still only has the figure 8 track for it, as it seems everything is busted one way or another, bridges, tunnels, crossings, ect

Meh, oh well I'll put it up for downloading on my Google drive if folks want to have something to run Supertrain on for TS12

Good News ! Got TS12 to take the route, kinda, it's the older route from TRS 2004, but at least it works, I had to basically juggle a bunch of files to get it to take it but it worked, still missing a few things here & there, mostly ground textures but the route is there at least to drive on if folks want it for TS12, all under the folder 2012, as I had to redo all the config files for stuff to work and I do mean all of them, the shadows are missing on most of the train cars, bad IM files be my guess for that, better then nothing at all at least.

Also put up the test track as well just for the heck of it in case folks don't want to wait a few days for the classic map downloads to sit through, yea it's sill a huge map, even if it is the older one, just fixed the gaps in it as best as I could

I have to say, that is one neat looking train. And it's funny because, I'd never heard of Supertrain until I saw your model of it for TRS '04, and trying it in TS12 I noticed some errors, and that was like, some 6 years ago.

However, I can tell you were busy since just recently I saw your vids of it in TANE and TS12. A true masterpiece, and I like how you added music to the train as well.

Supertrain is one of those that seems like the general public had forgotten over time, but I am glad someone is keeping the Supertrain alive and well, even if it is through a game. You have my praise, my friend.

I have to say, that is one neat looking train. And it's funny because, I'd never heard of Supertrain until I saw your model of it for TRS '04, and trying it in TS12 I noticed some errors, and that was like, some 6 years ago.

However, I can tell you were busy since just recently I saw your vids of it in TANE and TS12. A true masterpiece, and I like how you added music to the train as well.

Supertrain is one of those that seems like the general public had forgotten over time, but I am glad someone is keeping the Supertrain alive and well, even if it is through a game. You have my praise, my friend.

Yea, I kinda cleaned up the train a lot in the passing years, mostly it was to get it to work in TRS2019 once I did that I basically went backwards to get it to work in the other games as well

I learned there were a lot of legacy problems, old missing textures type deal & bad PM or IM files, still an issue w/ TS12 as far as the shadows go, no idea how to fix that's just the way it is

The later games seem to be okay with using PMs so didn't have to mess around too much with them to get everything up & running

TS10 still makes everything black, not sure why so I just skip it for the train & route

Last edited:
Yea, I kinda cleaned up the train a lot in the passing years, mostly it was to get it to work in TRS2019 once I did that I basically went backwards to get it to work in the other games as well

I learned there were a lot of legacy problems, old missing textures type deal & bad PM or IM files, still an issue w/ TS12 as far as the shadows go, no idea how to fix that's just the way it is

The later games seem to be okay with using PMs so didn't have to mess around too much with them to get everything up & running
The old saying goes you work with what you got. It takes a lot of patience to do what you're doing, and to get it to work in TRS19 as well as TANE and TS12, that is something worthy of praise.

TS10 still makes everything black, not sure why so I just skip it for the train & route

I actually had that problem with models in TRS09. How I fixed it was opening it for edit and resubmitting it.
Although you can also try disabling ENABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION because another problem with that could be texture compression issues.

Last edited:
The old saying goes you work with what you got. It takes a lot of patience to do what you're doing, and to get it to work in TRS19 as well as TANE and TS12, that is something worthy of praise.

I actually had that problem with models in TRS09. How I fixed it was opening it for edit and resubmitting it.
Although you can also try disabling ENABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION because another problem with that could be texture compression issues.

Just tried that, Still same result, meh

It must be something else then.

Well it took me awhile poking around with the program to find the issue, namely the settings you were talking about, I thought you meant the game settings themselves, you know, Open GL vs Direct X, screen size & so on...

Yeah...

Back