Supertrain : Once more with feeling....

I removed the intro movie long ago.....

I'm this > < close to just removing TRS2004 from my computer & never looking at it ever again....

I've done all this already.... I'm not a newb.... Stop treating me as if I know nothing about TRAINZ =P
Sheesh.... I got TRS2004 running, but ONLY at it's lowest settings.... I can't change any of the settings at all or it'll crash or give me the same gosh-durn error message....
Brand NEW computer... with NEW video card.... Game runs like garbage.... why.... because I can't up the graphics to match my computer.... why...
Because it refuses to run at all unless I drop the settings down to the lowest possible settings in the game itself....
NOW, can I just go back to getting Supertrain to work under the NEW games & forget about TRS2004 as it's pretty much being a PAIN IN THE REAR....

P.S. Hey, I have an idea, because I don't seem to know what I'm doing how about YOU smart guys make Supertrain work for Trainz Classics, TS2010, TS12, T:ANE instead ?
Doesn't matter that I created it in the first place, doesn't matter that I've been working on it for years, you folks are so dang smart, YOU do it for me....
How does that sound to YOU ?

Last edited:
Supertrainz.jpg

Supertrain Version 6.0.0 Testing Phase

Here's what I've discovered so far with testing V6.0.0

Works with the following games - TRS2004 - TRS2006 - Trainz Classics -

Will not work with anything after any of these, can't figure out how to fix it so it will, something to do w/ .pm no longer being supported, however I have saved them as .im as well, but still refuse to show up in the later games at all, not sure what's going on there....

Best I can figure is because I exported the gmax files as both .pm & .im is there's some sort of conflict going on between them in the folders for each consist, i'm only guessing that's what's going on, not what's really going on....

I'm sure someone will pop up & tell me what the case is here....

Anyway the WIP of version 6.0.0 is located in the link in my sig....

Well I will try to answer this, I like TRS2004 the best myself, and when I re-installed it on my new computer I had a problem with crashing that did not happen on the old computer. Trainz was working just fine after installing, until I put all my own content back in the custom folder. I found the problem was due to a bad config file in one of the content. I fixed it and have had no crashes since. Now I know most people are of the mind to go with the newest and dump the old in the trash, but the new isn't always so great as we have all seen here with all the bugs that infest the new versions. That's why I am in no hurry to buy the new, until it has been out for a while. If you look at the beginning of my post you will see all the versions I have to date, but I only have 2004, 2009, and 2012 installed. I received an email today with a reduce price for TANE so I bought it.

As for the "pm and im" it is my understanding that all versions above 2004 must have "im" mesh files. Some require shadow meshes, and 2012 gives warnings if textures are a solid color. Also 2012 requires thumbnails in the config file. I had to make all these changes to my content before it was non- faulty in 2012. I have over 200 items that I had to change to get them to show in surveyor, so I could put them on the maps. I was just about to throw 12 in the trash. If your super train is not working in versions above 2004, it is probable because there is faults in your content. For instance I don’t think you can include both the IM, and PM meshes in same config file, and you can’t just delete the pm and type in im on the mesh file. You have to export the mesh file to trainz in the proper format. I can not tell much with out seeing the files for the train. I think I have your earlier version of the train on my computer in 2004, will have to check.

Supertrainz.jpg

Supertrain Version 6.0.0 and Version 7.0.0

Version 6.0.0 - Progressive Mesh Edition - Works with TRS2004, TRS2006, Trainz Classics ( Even tho' TC says to use IM files it'll still work, however if you don't trust it )

Version 7.0.0 - Intrepitive Mesh Edition - Work In Progress - Testing Phase Currently - Works with Trainz Classics ( If you don't want to use the above version for it )

Both are on my Google Drive ( link is my sig below ) Next up fixing my Wide Guage Tracks as they show up as dotted lines in later versions of Trainz.....

Down loaded version 7, and installed in 2009, and 2012 to see what the problems were with it. 2009 showed faulty on all loco & cars They were IM, build 2.7 except for Bogies which are still PM. The Faults were with Textures not being able to be loaded for Body. When I opened the program the train showed in rail yard Clicking on each car & loco they all show on the track except for the Dumby car and the Loco.

Next I loaded the train into 2012, All showed faulty with the wrong build number. I didn't check every car, just the LOCO, fault was with Textures having uniform colors, and missing textures or not being able to load. Loco_lights, loco_emboss, cab_lights, cab_ emboss,and white. I checked the files and the textures were there as far as I could see, but you use all bitmaps, instead of Tga's which the program prefers now. When I took a look in rail yard none of the cars or loco would show on the track.
Now this makes no difference to me I am just trying to help. Personally I am a steam man, they only other train a fool with is the monorail train mainly because I use to work at Disney. It was the best job I ever had, and as a electrician I worked for a time in the monorail shop. So I have been working since I retired on a map of Disney, and the other of my home town in the 40's & 50's when I was a young boy.

Last edited:
NOTICE

Okay, 7.0.0 is a work in progress after all, so I'll see what I can do to fix it, upgrading as I go into each new version of Trainz, expect to see 7.0.1 & so on as I figure out what works & what does not work, granted if I have too many issues I might not be able to get it working at all, and give up at 6.0.0 and not mess around w/ 7.0.0 if it's too much work for me to get it working in the other games after TC....

If all I need to do is replace the BMP files with TGA files, I have Irfan View that can convert the files, then just change all the TXT files to reflect the change over, unless I have to go into Gmax & do it from scratch before it'll work, seeing as it'll basically be the same image just a different file format that's all....

Okay looks like I have to do these from scratch after all, nothing seems to work for getting Supertrain working for TS2010 after all, time for a new folder just for working on Supertrain again, made an LOD folder now looks like need a TGA folder, put all the ones we need in there & start working on it when I can....

So next version won't be 7.0.1 but 8.0.0 as it's a total overhaul like 7.0.0 was....

Last edited:
UPDATE / NEWS

Well, after trying to just get 1 traincar to work w/ TS2010 using a ton of different image formats, it just doesn't want to work as far as the whole .im thing goes it seems to be broken =P

I'm not sure how to get it to work at all, this was starting from scratch w/ Gmax a blank traincar, putting images onto it & it's a total bust, still getting errors about missing texture.txt files =P

Yet, when I go into edit w/ file explorer, the texture.txt files are there as plain as day, this is really getting to be a total PITA so far....

Also... Loaded up SuperMap... BLACK tracks... BLACK buildings... what the heck is going on there ?

Well, after much stress & pounding away at this, it's a no go for anything past Trainz Classics....

Last edited:
Supertrainz.jpg

Supertrain Version 7.0.0

Here is Supertrain working in Trainz Classics

Last edited:
First clips of 'the real thing' in action...

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SupertrainClips.wmv

My 'interpitation' of that follows....

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SupertrainNewYorkCity.wmv

When you get lost between the moon and New York City....

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SupertrainTRS2006.wmv

Here we see how well TRS2006 handles the train itself.

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SupertrainYouTube.wmv

You Tube version, verry compressed down before putting it up there.

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SupertrainRouteDialup.wmv

~ WARNING ~ This file is pretty large even for dial up folks.

http://www.Furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SuperTrainzMusicVideoDialup.wmv

The first time I used the actual Supertrain TV theme for something.

http://www.Furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SuperTrainzRailyardDialup.wmv

The Supertrain locomotive in Railyard, once around the loco, James.

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SuperTrainzRainRunDialup.wmv

Another early version of the train on a layout runing around in the rain.

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SuperTrainzSetDialup.wmv

Another early test of the early version of Supertrain on a layout.

http://www.furnation.com/Woulfe/Trainz/SuperTrainzTestDialup.wmv

Testing the locomotive in TRS2004, to see if it was working even.

Woulfe
< = < <=) What are these odd looking marks here anyway ? (=> > = >

Hey, i tried to go to the website, but it refuses to connect, have you taken the website out of service?

What? This?

The link on the last page works perfectly well. The same cannot be said for the route which needs massive work to function in TANE. The train itself seems functional, sort of.

Sorry I've been away for awhile, but been playing around w/ this new program called BLENDER, seeing if I can make things with it.

- The links on page 1, post 1, are from my old site, the server is long gone, go to link in my sig instead. ( below )

- The Route unfortunately is made from a lot of old assets that haven't been updated for latest version of Trainz ( no way to fix that )

Looks like I'll have to create a new route, from scratch, I don't have TANE yet so no way to test what's wrong or not working with it

Last edited:
"As Is" even in it's present un-restored condition, with decades of dust, grime, and with mouse truds', chicken & bat poop on it. That may be worth 10's of thousands of dollars, or maybe more ! If you restore and try to polish it up yourself, it may actually damage the condition, as an expert restoration person needs to methodically clean it up professionally.

Although the "SuperTrain", with its' super broad wide gauge tracks, was a completely ridiculously lamebrained, totally harebrained idea, and the TV series was a complete utterly ridiculous, 13 week, 5+ million dollar, "Flop", "SuperTrain" (on the DLS) is kinda fun :cool:

g2NiX4Z.jpg

NBC's Supertrain is here come aboard for a ride. What a great idea to make a show like "The love boat" but on a super luxury gigantic high-speed train crossing the continent at 200 mph! The star of the show would be of course THE SUPERTRAIN, the regular cast and popular guest stars.Incredible huge sets were built that had cost about 6 million dollars (in 1979 that was a lot of money...) Everything was done to make it look real and Big. Great disco themes and music composed by Bob Cobert. But the show was a failure.Too much on the container and about no content. Silly stories with too much improbabilities. The look of the show changed at each episodes with 3 different opening themes in just 10 episodes! Was it Drama? Was it suspense? Was it a disaster movie? Was it a comedy show? Was it a slapstick comedy with recorded cheers? All this happen when a show is rushed into production without clear guidelines on the format and the background of the main theme. Good stories, good writing and good technical consultants would have saved this SUPERTRAIN from crashing. How can you possibly believe that the government and the American people would allow an atomic-powered train to cross the America at 200mph without any single safety system on board? Would you like to have a Tchernobyl on rail? That's insane! Anyway, i did this video to celebrate THE SUPERTRAIN. Because i love trains and this one is sure one of a kind. I used many of the themes including the recycled theme from "CHAIN REACTION". In the first part you'll see supertrain's departure from NY followed by different shots of the models. (note: on one of the night shots, you'll see only 5 cars. This was probably filmed after the crash that destroyed half the train, but that's another story... ) Then you'll see the end of the inaugural trip from the pilot "Express to terror" OK I re-edited it but it's close to the original (meaning the original is as silly...) I would have loved a shot of the swimming pool during the emergency stop!!!!

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing, and I thought I had seen exotic Trains in the past, never saw this on TV, must have been working hard the day this came out......:cool:

WOW I see it was running 9 episodes and 2 hour Pilot,,,,,I really missed the BOAT....LOL I mean Train on this one.........:hehe:

"Supertrain is an American television drama/adventure series that ran on NBC from February 7 to May 5, 1979. Nine episodes were made, including a 2-hour pilot episode. Wikipedia "

Thank you for sharing this Relic with us.......

Cleaning up the route as best as I can
( downloading missing bits & pieces by way of the game itself )
Also fixing it so it's a bit more compact
( namely skipping the NEC stuff to save space as it's a huge download )

Back