RW3 - 23.09.11

Status
Not open for further replies.
IKB - thanks

IKB --

Thanks for posting your views.

Despite what others may say I think that many of us here are always interested in an assessment of the merits and weakness of the RailWorks simulations.

And this forum seems to be one of the few places where any criticism of RW is tolerated.

Phil

Horseshoe Curve

I updated to RW3 and bought the Horseshoe Curve at 50% off today. I like it and I don't try to compare Train Simulators anymore. Both have their good/bad points. I think RW3 & Horseshoe Curve are worth buying. For those that have bought it,we will enjoy. For those of you thinking about it.....we won't decide for you. No matter what or how many Train Simulators you have or are going to buy,just enjoy them and don't bash them. We all have different tastes.
:) www.bigboytrainsandhobbies.com

Tried the HorseShoe on my old XP computer:

Alathon 64x2 Dual 3.01 Ghz
2 Gb Ram
Radeon HD 5670

On the low settings I was getting in the 19-25 FPS and it was running smooth with real shadows

Impressed
Harold

After all the promises of improvements and screenshot hints and teases, when it came time to put the wheels to the rails, there was a certain, for lack of a better word, disappointment. Sure, the marketing deptments will over sell anything but the difference between promise and delivery was too wide a chasm for me.

That water on the window looks like Hollywood rain. You known the movie scene where someone uses a hose to pour water on the outside of the window while the background stays dry.

As for the shadows, good static scenes but from some of the complaints, they appear to be a major fps killer.

Considering how RW was always touted as a driver's simulator, they better get the performance issues squared away or they really will be left with just scenes to produce pretty but static pictures.

If there was ever a possibility of giving RW a try, it died after seeing the results.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts IKB. I am interested in purchasing it. Might hold off until they get the multiplayer working.

I mean I haven't played with Trainz much either at them moment. I am hanging out for Skyrim in November so I am playing Oblivion.
Regards

The Horseshoe Curve route seems to run better than older content, but of course was built specifically for the new game engine. Certainly looks more lifelike than the previous game engine, though all I've seen at present is Altoona Yard due to the scenarios having to be unlocked one at a time.

I think the best thing to do at the moment is keep a level head, see what "RSC" can or indeed are prepared to tweak (given past arrogance on issues like the despatcher). We also need to see what specs and settings those who are claiming it runs okay are using.

However so far as route building on the laptop it's looking like a thumbs down at present. Surveyor can get laggy particularly if you've just planted a forest of trees or some high poly buildings but rarely turns into a slideshow. Maybe once my current Trainz project is done I'll take a look but right now I'll wait for the dust to settle.

And there is certainly a moral here both for N3V and Trainz users (including myself), calling for a new graphics engine - be careful what you wish for, it might not be what you had hoped for!!

Problem from what I see is they went the wrong direction, "a new graphics engine" to me means better performance and smoother video, not an increase in eye candy at the expense of even slower choppier video. Framerates are King and the Holy Grail to me because if you can't play with smooth animation what's the point of eye candy? Problem is the Teeming Masses demand eye candy so they can take Awesome Screenshots, so you end up with a slideshow that's good for nothing but screenshots.

You callin' me a "Nobody", white boy?!

See my first post in this thread. :hehe: I didn't really expect any, in a previous interview the CEO said;

RPS: In the ‘Editing & Building’ section of the feature list there’s mention of AI changes. Is the average user likely to notice these?

RW: Yes, the improvements in AI train operation will introduce a subtle but much more convincing aspect to the driving experience. Firstly, AI locomotives can now couple to other rail vehicles, meaning that there will be much more realistic operations going on around you as you play. Secondly, we have introduced the concept of exact stopping points. Previously in RailWorks 2, the instructions for a player or AI train have been to stop on certain markers – like a platform or siding – which have been pretty relaxed and easy to hit without that much concentration or precision. With the new stopping point feature we can specify exactly where on this marker (which could be miles long) we want the player or AI to stop and actually score the accuracy of stopping using the Career System. This has the effect of producing a greater player score spread and allows greater storytelling possibilities; for example, instead of telling the player to stop in Siding 1, we can now be more specific and tell him to stop next to Fred who is waiting at a location in Siding 1 and then score the player accordingly. Oh! And then Fred can tell the driver what to do next, that might seem like a small thing, but think about it…. In terms of simulating the real world this is a game changer!

Oh wow, we can SCORE POINTS, where do I sign up for THAT?! :sleep: Vern mentioned somewhere about scenarios being "locked" apparently so you can't play them without getting previous "achievements" or something, part of that "career mode" nonsense I guess, to go along with the Fisher Price control panel.

Locked scenarios?

Jim --

OK - so the AI is still just moving scenery but it's better moving scenery?

I, too, cringed at Vern's comment about the locked scenarios. I thought that nonsense was reserved for the games young teenagers play.

See my first post in this thread. :hehe: I didn't really expect any, in a previous interview the CEO said;

RPS: In the ‘Editing & Building’ section of the feature list there’s mention of AI changes. Is the average user likely to notice these?

RW: Yes, the improvements in AI train operation will introduce a subtle but much more convincing aspect to the driving experience. Firstly, AI locomotives can now couple to other rail vehicles, meaning that there will be much more realistic operations going on around you as you play. Secondly, we have introduced the concept of exact stopping points. Previously in RailWorks 2, the instructions for a player or AI train have been to stop on certain markers – like a platform or siding – which have been pretty relaxed and easy to hit without that much concentration or precision. With the new stopping point feature we can specify exactly where on this marker (which could be miles long) we want the player or AI to stop and actually score the accuracy of stopping using the Career System. This has the effect of producing a greater player score spread and allows greater storytelling possibilities; for example, instead of telling the player to stop in Siding 1, we can now be more specific and tell him to stop next to Fred who is waiting at a location in Siding 1 and then score the player accordingly. Oh! And then Fred can tell the driver what to do next, that might seem like a small thing, but think about it…. In terms of simulating the real world this is a game changer!

I believe in Trainz you can tell an AI Driver to stop in 'Siding two' trackmark which you can choose how accurately you want to, and use the 'wait for trigger' command and choose to wait for Fred
Jamie

Well... coughs, they has no umbrellas in those rain pix. That's fairly ordinary :n:
LmFaoooo!
Sheesh I didn't buy from NV3 since 06 because I didn't know who they were.
One rail sim is enough for me, they seem to have a fair following? Good luck to them & well done for that;)

Nobody has yet mentioned the AI.

Any improvement?

Well I went in and cloned San Bernardino to Barstow, then created a new session/scenario I guess, then put some well cars and three Loco's and told her to drive to Barstow.

Now using the -followatrain commandline switch I was able to ride with the train. It appears the AI runs on average about 10 mile hour slower than the posted speed limit. That's just a guess but it's definitely slower.

I didn't set up multiple Trains running multiple tracks simply because I'm still learning how to do it to begin with, and I'm just not used to keyboard controls while in the editor which to me just seems retarded to say the least. I shouldn't have to use keyboard arrow keys to navigate around in the editor, it should be like Trainz surveyor that could all be done using a mouse.

That's just my opinion so far:D

So far as I can see, it's only Horseshoe Curve where they've introduced Colin McRae "Dirt" style unlocking. However it applies not only to the career scenarios but to the same scenarios in standard mode.

The two I've done were fairly easy so I progressed but one thing guaranteed to p me off quicker than anything else is games with a brickwall that prevent you going further. It's not what train simming should be about and I'm somewhat perturbed at the increasing "gamer" orientation which seems to be coming from those in charge at RSC.

Anyhow, back to the NYC in TS2009...

The whole point of posting here is that i used and supported Trainz very strongly for 10 years.

It is the one forum where you can discuss ANY trainsim release without fear of being branded as satan for not slavishly supporting one against the other.

I have asked on other forums if there are any AI & signalling improvements, but got the usual "well there is cab sway, super elevation and the water looks pretty" replies. ;)

I most definitely did not post to say "RW3 is rubbish", but as usually it falls short of the pre-release RSC hype, in my view.

Thank you to those posters who replied in a measured and mature manner.

regards,
Mike.

Its for sure not kid friendly to use the surveyor the tools are weird how to place things in the game. Driving the trains is pretty easy. Sure It does have great graphics but still trainz 12 is better overall in running it. I will still play around in both, want to see how its multiplayer going to be it should be interesting.

I had the gist of it over September last year, but then I lost the controls when I went back to to the superior, Australian product called Trainz

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back