Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Detailed Google Earth Image as Ground Texture (image slightly over 800x600)

that's wonderful!!! vastly simpler that using UTM tiles and very similar to decals used in railworks. great find, Mike, thank's a lot, but please, explain it to us.

Quote Originally Posted by ModelerMJ View Post
    I'll now start my write-up. Thanks for everyone's kind comments so far.
    The tutorial is in progress. It's also now the work week so my Trainz time (at least for things like this) is limited to the evenings.

Regards,
    -Mike
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; September 20th, 2011 at 07:25 AM.
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 HF1 (90945), TS12 SP1 HF4 (61388) / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

The tutorial is in progress. It's also now the work week so my Trainz time (at least for things like this) is limited to the evenings.

Regards,
    -Mike
    Hello Mike,

Thank you for your effort. Very much appreciated. Looking forward to your tutorial

Best regards

Kurt

I've been wanting something like that myself! It would save me alot of hassle on my Stone Mountain and Pittsburgh layouts! And the Google Earth textures can be used like a play-mat! I could really use this...
    0njugh09gy76tr6v65c5cr5dxc68rx7s5x4sop9jbnh89u7gvg 67f

First pass of tutorial is complete. It has been sent to Dr. Ziegler for review.

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:
    T:ANE SP2 HF1 (90945), TS12 SP1 HF4 (61388) / Win7HP SP1 64 bit / i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB, NVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

First pass of tutorial is complete. It has been sent to Dr. Ziegler for review.

Regards,
    -Mike
    I can't wait, and I'm sure I'm not alone in saying we can't thank you enough

Default Tutorial is now available.

The tutorial has been completed and is now available here.

The link leads to page on my web site, where you will find a link to download a ZIP archive that contains the tutorial document in PDF format, along with the necessary TransDEM cross-reference file and a CDP of the custom textures. Download, unzip, and follow the directions in the PDF.

Many thanks to Dr. Roland Ziegler for reviewing my tutorial. Thanks also to all who posted here for their kind remarks.

Regards,
    -Mike
    Last edited by ModelerMJ; June 5th, 2017 at 07:32 AM.
    606026:

The link leads to a ZIP archive which contains the tutorial document in PDF format, along with the necessary TransDEM cross-reference file and a CDP of the custom textures. Download, unzip, and follow the directions in the PDF.

Many thanks to Dr. Roland Ziegler for reviewing my tutorial and hosting the files. Thanks also to all who posted here for their kind remarks.

Regards,
    -Mike
    No Mike, many thanks to you

Beautiful! Thanks.

Thank you Mike, for an extremely well written tutorial.

I'm experimenting with the process at the moment, and it is very easy to grasp the principles involved.

I see a lot of people using the process in the future.

Thank you,

Matt.

The link leads to a ZIP archive which contains the tutorial document in PDF format, along with the necessary TransDEM cross-reference file and a CDP of the custom textures. Download, unzip, and follow the directions in the PDF.

Many thanks to Dr. Roland Ziegler for reviewing my tutorial and hosting the files. Thanks also to all who posted here for their kind remarks.

Regards,
    -Mike
    Hello Mike,

Thank you for this great tutorial . Next week, I will do a tryout ( a few days at home )

Best regards

Kurt

Default error message

Thank's a lot, Mike for well written and easy to understand tutorial.
    But trying it, I encountered a problem: regardless of the height of picture (I used a lot of heights, from 6 Km to 500m), I receive always the error "one or more raster maps have a scale of larger than 1 px to 2.5 m". Any idea how to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by giuliano0 View Post
    Thank's a lot, Mike for well written and easy to understand tutorial.
    But trying it, I encountered a problem: regardless of the height of picture (I used a lot of heights, from 6 Km to 500m), I receive always the error "one or more raster maps have a scale of larger than 1 px to 2.5 m". Any idea how to fix that?
    Is the Google Earth image the only georeferenced map that you have open? TransDEM allows you to have multiple geomaps open at once, and I have fallen into that trap before. Try closing all georeferenced maps, then open ONLY a Google Earth map taken at, say, 5KM eye altitude, and see how that works for you.

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026:

Hi, Mike, thank you for reply. I tried, but does not work!! All raster maps are closed, but error message is always here. I tried also to take a picture from 12 Km (just for try, not much useful), but no result...

Quote Originally Posted by giuliano0 View Post
    Hi, Mike, thank you for reply. I tried, but does not work!! All raster maps are closed, but error message is always here. I tried also to take a picture from 12 Km (just for try, not much useful), but no result...
    Could you list for me the step-by-step process you are using, from the point where you start TransDEM to the point at which you get the resolution warning? Also please describe in detail how you acquired your Google Earth images. You can PM this to me if you like, or post it here; and please do not leave out any steps even if you think they are trivial or obvious.

Maybe something in your process will jump out at me; other than that I cannot think of any reason why this would not be working for you.

Regards,
    -Mike
    606026: