Levi & Appalachian WIP

This just in the Levi & Appalachian has been bought out by the parent company of the utah belt so expect to see some yellow f-units soon

The management and crews just heard about this and their impressions are......

thehorror.jpg

516.gif

Last edited:
I just finished a big milestone in this route, I have finished laying the southern terminus of the L&A. This is the town of Jenkins KY. and here goes yet another rewrite of history in real places. Boone's Gap was being fought over by a number of competing railroads for another route through the Appalachian mountains. The US government stepped in claiming it for national interests. Then offered the railroads free access and each line would be responsible for the upkeep and maintenance for 1 year then turn it over to the next in line. Now with a 4 track mainline it is used by the N&W, PRR, NYC, B&O, C&O, L&N, Southern, and the good old L&A. Jenkins Union Station is a transfer point for passengers and the L&A operates 2 named trains from Jenkins to Cincinnati. The morning run is called The Hustling Hillbilly and the evening run is the Moonlight Express (aka Moonshine Express for the mysterious crates that find their way in the baggage car :eek:).

These are early screen shots of Jenkins and below in picture 4 is the tunnel the L&A uses to connect to the other lines. Commits welcomed as always and to my beta tester let me know what you think!

thai1on201202200000.jpg

thai1on201202200001.jpg

thai1on201202200002.jpg

thai1on201202200003.jpg

thai1on201202200004.jpg

The Hustling Hillbilly

588.gif

I´d say you need to do some trackwork changes...
IE, you´d need a Headend department and the possibility to have more then one departure/arrival in your station.
Also, you need some more local industries and interchange possibilities for all your companies.
And a bigger service department.
Last but not least, a possibility for trains emerging from the tunnel to reach the outer mainline tracks.

And maybe soften the high elevation behind the buildings.

But you said its an early WIP, so I stay tuned!
:)

Keep up your good work, man.

Constar: The asset name is PRR Baltimore Station kuid2:210518:1112:1 In the config file you can rename the station to anything you want.

Isgrinns: I do have a small service dept. planned east of the station. Yes, it is a bottle neck but should make for some interesting train movements. The idea behind the station is it is only a transfer point between lines. Trains will stop for only 5 to 10 minutes to pick-up and drop off transfer passengers before leaving again. The coaling tower and water are there just to "top off" locomotives if the crews think they need it. The town of Jenkins grew simply to service this terminal and it is the only real form of revenue for the town.

The track from the tunnel is the end of the line for the L&A. From there all of the L&A's trains go to an interchange yard east of town so they don't need access to the outermost mainline. The 4 track main is a short portal to portal setup for a great railfan spot for a good mix of freight and passenger trains coming and going. I have been watching progress on your line also with great interest and I hope to see more!

Dave

Yes, I just finished the final stage of DEM's that will stretch from Aberdeen OH. (just across the river from Maysville KY.) to Norwood OH. (just north of Cincinnati) and this is where I will terminate the line. I am guessing the total milage will be around 300+ miles. The story of the L&A will terminate in Cincinnati but I have to add the place I first started my love affair of trains. Thank you Granddad for this life long love of trains:D!

It is my intention to remake Cincinnati into a twin of Chicago in ways of rail travel and service. In my rewrite of history oil will not be as cheap or readily available and most of the oil stocks will be needed for the WWII as WWI has never fully ended. Cincinnati will preform the role of the southern sister of Chicago as a bridge between the northern and southern parts of the USA. Steam will rule the day for many years to come and diesels will be experimental and expensive to operate. My route will see a few first generation diesels, but not many. With another addition of a streamlined locomotives to the DLS (thank you Leefeer) streamlined passenger trains will be the mainstay of the class 1 railroad passenger services. Also the number of troop trains using older heavy weight passenger cars will be staggering.

The idea behind this route is to capture the romance of steam railroading with a minor in prototype operation. I am designing this route to be a railfans railroad but still fun to operate, I hope. The main idea is to have 2 choke points, both in Jenkins KY. and also in Cincinnati to see many different lines coming and going along with a fictional line working along side these major lines. I hope it works :confused:

As per my beta tester and also content creators I will redesign the heavy locomotive service area in Levi of the route . As I learn more about this sim/game I can see more flaws I will try to correct them. Just like my model railroads it comes a time to say enough is enough but I'm still a long way away.

Dave

Due to the L&A crashing in T2010 due to a poison asset I couldn't find I had to restart building the Levi & Appalachian Railway. Now working with T2012 and a new computer the L&A V2.0 has had the mainline laid from Levi Ky. all the way to Maysville Ky. I'm trying something a little different as I am making it a single mainline with passing tracks. I'm also happy to report I have the mainline signaled using a combination of N&W CPL signals along with the Senior Chief's 3 light semaphores and all look and work great.

Now the real fun starts by adding the scenery and I hope to have some early screen shots soon of version 2.0 ;)

Dave

Oh that sucks!
:(

I recommend saving each days work, so you loose only one or two days at max.

Good luck on your new try!
:)

Hi Bob, this was a very odd problem. One day the route and game crashed so I reinstalled T2010. Everything went fine till I imported the L&A from a saved cpd file then it crashed the game again :'(. I was lucky because my beta tester wanted to run the L&A equipment so I had a copy of all my custom rolling stock packed into a cpd file, thank goodness. My only guess is I must have downloaded an asset that crashed the system but I could never find it. I took this opportunity to upgrade to T2012 and I find it is much easier to build the L&A in T2012.

The heavy engine service area is coming together nicely and has a much different feel than the last one. Also I will increase the size of the town of Levi to reflect a more rural/industrial feel something like the early days of Bluefield WV. The engine service has a large wye and next to it a small factory district supplying the railroad with some needed parts.

Dave

The industrial part of Levi a.k.a The Bottoms is coming together and here are a few screen shots. I will be placing the ground textures last as to save reference points on the DEM.

thai1on201205200000.jpg

thai1on201205200001.jpg

thai1on201205200002.jpg

thai1on201205200003.jpg

thai1on201205200004.jpg

thai1on201205200005.jpg

thai1on201205200007.jpg

Dave nice pics its good to see those good ole engines..Good Luck with 2012, I find it easier to do texture work..

Just a few update pictures.

This is the town of Carlisle Kentucky and it will be a busy place with a gas plant, refinery, tabacco warehouse, cotton seed oil plant and freight house. Here we see the Pocahontas running south to the interchange while train #17 rolls north with a string of empties behind one of the L&A's Y6b's.

thai1on201206090000.jpg

thai1on201206090003.jpg

Next we have the town of Winchester Kentucky. Again this will be a busy place with 3 rail lines interchanging with each other. Union Station will serve the L&A, N&W, and Pennsy. Here we see the Cincinnati Limited getting ready to head north. Seems Steve and Bill got the OK from the conductor now just waiting for a clear signal from the tower to pull out.

thai1on201206170000.jpg

thai1on201206170001.jpg

thai1on201206170003.jpg

thai1on201206170004.jpg

I love the new K's, thank you guys and I hope to see more coming out of the shops!

Now back to work before classes start tomorrow.

Dave

Time to bump this thread again :hehe:. Most of part 1 of the L&A has been finished aside from adding some details. I will give you a virtual tour of the route from the southern most part of the L&A up to Maysville where part 2 will start. This part of the L&A will be called the Boone division after Daniel Boone who surveyed most of this part of Kentucky.

Sorry for the surveyor pics at this point. I would like to hear any comments or suggestions you may have.

Here we have the town of Levi. It's a smokey dirty place as this is where the L&A started business. The shops here erects and rebuilds the locomotives and rolling stock in this state. This heavy industry has helped the local economy greatly.

The Levi coal, sand and water area along with the out of service rolling stock waiting for repair.

f21e0aea63e99afd92490dc2aa115c10.jpg

Here you can see the passenger and freight car shops and transfer table.

6dd8edc6fe43e1325f0f5ec80659bf4a.jpg

This is the famous dual turntable and round houses.

facaa1aecc3b4f32a485f3b6ff405333.jpg

2e39f94b84e867e52304eb5cc8fab34a.jpg

The town of Levi looking south.

5dcdbfe1e4fc8830dd7c55eb60cbe9d1.jpg

The old wooden Levi station burned down in 1918 and was replaced with the new style Art Deco station.
f6a4e9dcf58d2035ddf904634959e9e6.jpg

The next town we come to is Beattyville. Beattyville was the original stop of the L&A as it was where lumber and log were loaded into river boats. After the Civil War the L&A hit paydirt by finding massive coal fields. Keeping this quiet the company attracted investors to push the line to countries industrial powerhouse, Cincinnati to deliver raw materials.

9c7cfb6c5a490bd904fd87c31739d9be.jpg

And here we have the Hazard / Beattyville wye. The line to Levi has been reduced to a branch line now because of the tight curves, but still sees a lot of traffic. The mainline to Hazard is where a large amount of coal and freight come this way. The L&A would make it all the way to Atlanta via this route.

056fec580817224129c7372d2628d81e.jpg

2ec2ebe86b4b5e1bbdb560afffa6e0b0.jpg

Stay tuned for the next stop along the line.

Dave

Back