Levi & Appalachian WIP

2020-04-15_003301.jpg

This is a proof of concept for the L&A 2-8-2. Please note some textures are placeholder, and I need to seek out info from Tha1on about the tender, numbers, classification and story of this type of loco.

so this is a little bit of a personal request, on the the L&A coaches you got coming can you please still have the coaches named after notible revolutionary war figures. because idk I love the idea of a observation called von Stuben.

Glad you liked my idea of using revolutionary war generals. I was hesitant to use civil war generals because in some steampunk mythos the civil war still rages. (In my somewhat checkered Army career I actually learned von Steuben's manual of arms for musket and bayonet. In 1976 I charged up Pennsylvania Ave. with an 18" bayonet fixed to my Brown Bess.) :D

Morning News southbound through Maysville

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Well now ain't that a handsome devil. The biggest change would be the smoke box would be the same color as the rest of the locomotive. I'll work on classification and numbers.

Most railfans fixate on the large assortment of passenger locomotives the railroad uses. The freight engines get a lot less love and doesn't get the attention they deserve. The L&A freight "berks" are no different. The engineers at the L&A found that feedwater heaters on their high speed passenger locomotives didn't warrant the use of these feedwater heaters due to the speed and relative light loads they would pull vs. the maintenance required to keep them working. On the other hand the freight "berks" saw heavier slower freight drags over the Appalachians. They found that these engines benefited from using Elesco feedwater heaters to conserve both fuel and water. An other advantage of using these "berks" in freight service once on level ground they could still keep tighter freight schedules and could be seen heading up the front end of the L&A's famous L&A PDQ Fast Freight Service trains. One of the L&A's biggest rivals is the LE&E and their crack fright service, but with that being said both companies exchange large amounts of fast freight through Cincinnati as it is the gateway city to the south. The companies both maintain large freight houses and the LE&E services points north as the L&A handles the south. In the few cities both lines service the competition fierce.

I would like a different classification name instead of a Berkshire for the line. I very open to ideas.

Dave

For the 2-8-2's whistle, I used the Ps-4 Hancock 3 chime from C&O 2716 when she was a Southern Railway steam program locomotive that I was suggested to make. What tender for it should I use?

I would like a different classification name instead of a Berkshire for the line. I very open to ideas.

Dave

What about "Ohio" class, for the Ohio River? And since the L&A is a "Southern" railroad, using "Northern" for the 4-8-4 classification might not be a good idea. Maybe they should be called "Cumberland" class, for the Cumberland River, Cumberland Plateau, and Cumberland Mountains, all of which extend into Kentucky and surrounding states?

Holy crap that's nice, my only issue is the numbering, way I see it most the trains are below a 1000 and what I think is better is you put it like 600-684 because the L&A freight has their fright around that area, idk I may need thai1on to explain how the L&A number their engines

So, Thai1On and Shebashetan I need some help, so other than the little 4-4-0 me and rio are making we need help with a idea. so I was thinging we all pitch in on a project i'm dubbing "Big Grandaddy" where we make a 4-8-4 similar to a C&O Greenbriar. other than the berk this was my main dream engine. now my idea is that we try to find a simmilar model we can kit bash, but Im thinking it has a smokebox Headlight, not built in but mounted like on a lima berk. i'll try to make weird schematics i came up with.

The L&A will classify their engines with 3 digit numbers going to mainly passenger locomotives as 4 digit numbers goes to mainly freight locomotives.

Shebashetan7 you've really out did yourself on this one, its a stunner! Well done and it will be a fine addition to the line.

Dave

Last edited:
so me and Rio decided to use that ATSF Northern and a doghouse tender stolen off a 2-10-2 (both are backshop). we could use a ruff sketch of what you want the engine to look like, so far we came up with "Big Grand daddy" it can be as crappy as the one I sent for the berk, just need what you'd want to see on her. -Rio and Chad
Dumbasses on Trainz

also a few quick updates
1. so me and the rest of the team decided to put our little 4-4-0 Americain on hold due to us being lazy bastards and also not feeling like dealing with it.
2. now, sometimes I may not be on, so if I do not respond in a day or two i'll likely be out or doing something, so the best way to do something is to reach Rio.
3. we both love criticism and take all ideas on or works and admire ideas, remember no idea is a dumbass idea.
4. we often try our best to work on projects as much as possible, so expect some hiccups or two.

regards, Chad & Rio

So, change of plans, we decided instead of using a 2900 to use a COG K class, with my foamer mindset I beleive that the ATSF one looked better was too tall for what the L&A would experince. me and Rio think that this Big Granddaddy will be one of our top assets right now, the engine will be from the backshops which is kitbashed with a 2-10-2 tender. from what were doing there will be about 25 made with one surviving. Thai1On we both would like your help with seeing after we release this to you at (4/20/20 at 4:20 P.M.)seeing where we can host these items. Chad & Rio

Big John

We also would like to annonce the "Big John" the last surviving L&A T1O with this 2-8-8-2 "Mallet" being in the L&A Steam Excursions throughout the appalachian side of the system.

2020-04-19_191928.jpg

I made a couple adjustments to the Cf class 2-8-2. The tender now has six axle trucks, and the numbering on the cab has been lowered, with the initials of the railway stenciled above, taking further inspiration from the Southern Railway.

nice, needs a little more detail on the tender but looks amazing. so thai1On, ive been thinking this for so long but how is the Angel supposed to get to Charleston? its bothered me because the only way it can really get through is Saluda, and Saluda is a b**ch of itself, I can not see a experimental turbine going down a 3% grade.

Back