Japanese Trainz

keimei

Do it Yourself
I'd like to start a new thread about Japanese trains information. I have some pictures of Japanese trains for who are interested in Japanese loco and rolling stock.
Also, happy to see your picture and information about Japan.
Thanks a lot.

Lets start with my favorite loco...Degoichi (D51).

D51 1 : the 'Namekuji'
FP_D511.jpg

D51 200 : standard type. and water tower.
FP_D51200.jpg

This is C62(Shirokuni). prototype of 'Galaxy Express 999'.
FP_C62.jpg

Shinkansen

OK, I prepare more pics. I guess the Japanese loco that are most familiar to the world is Shinkansen.

0 Series. the first high speed train in the world. She is reskined in so-called 'fresh green'. The original color is a blue stripe in the white body.

FP_TEC0-1.jpg

This picture was taken in 2006. Sadly all of 0 Series has retired by 2008.

FP_TEC0-2.jpg

This is 700 Series the 'Rail Star'.

FP_TEC_railstar.jpg

Thanks.

I like the original Shinkansen better. The new Rail Star has a funny looking front end.

Are these track "standard gauge" 1488mm or 4' 8-1/2"? They look wider than the 42" gauge track in the first pictures.

Thanks for posting!

John

Well, I started starting Japanese trains when I saw this one:

5514326731_a42a05b36c_z.jpg

D51 498, one of my favourite japanese steam engines :udrool:

But it´s not the only one... c62, 131, ...

Here are 2 Pics, taken on the 11.03.2011

I was travelling on a train to Tokyo when the earthquake occurred.
boso_2.jpg

Chiba station, no trains!
boso_3.jpg

I have experienced some earthquakes in Japan before but nothing topped that one.:eek:

Some lines in the north (Including the line I was on) suffered major damage, I think some lines are still closed?

Hi Williamg
I'm surprised at your experience. I did not meet the disaster since living in Osaka(far from Tohoku). Yes some lines are still closed, will take years to recover.
And, in this week end, a Typhoon has struck Japan and damaged some railway lines.
Japanese railways are daily struggle with nature.

Densha

Hi all.
Today in Japan, most of trains are in this type, Electric Multiple Unit. They consist of some motor cars and trailers. I dont know what it is called in English...commuter? electric car? EMU? In Japanese simply 'Densha'.

JR(West Japan Railway Company) class 223.
FP_223.jpg

JR class 321
FP_321.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Keimei-san.

I do believe that most people call them "commuter trains" or simply "trains".
As for us who know a thing or two about trains we usually call them "EMUs".

Of the two EMUs you've shown I think the JR西日本 223系 looks better than the JR 321系. It just has a more classic look to it. Also I'm glad to see your thread doing well so far.:D

Cheers.

I also hope I was right in my use of 系.:)

Thanks trainman184-san, your 系 is correct. (系=kei)
I usually wonder how to translate 系. We Japanese sometimes use 'Series'. (e.g. 新幹線0系 = Shinkansen 0 series). But I have not seen such a usage in this forum. They say 'Class ***' in the other countries. Which is better...?
So I suppose I gonna say 'kei' as it is when to use '系' ;-) Thank you.

Hi keimei-san.
Personally I prefer the use of series, but I'm not sure of which is better or more correct. Since here in the US our trains(locos to be specific) have their own letter-number designations instead of Class *** or Series ***. Such as GP38-2, GP50, SD40-2, and SD70ACe for EMD, and B30-8, C40-9W, ES40DC, and ES44AC for GE.

But, seeing as this thread is about the trains of Japan I do believe that "kei" would be the most appropriate word. :)

Cheers!

Thanks trainman184-san and Hi all:)
Another train type working in Japan is diesel car(DMUs). They are leading thier acts in non-electrified lines. The followings are a little bit old pics. Some of them are already retired.

kiha181s Limited Express 'Hamakaze'. (June 2004, Osaka station)
FP_kiha181-1.jpg

kiha181s Limited Express 'Hamakaze' in west-JR color on Amarube Viaduct (Aug.2005)
FP_kiha181-2.jpg

kiha40 series kiha47s local train (Sep.2006 Sanin line)
FP_kiha40.jpg

kiha54 Shikoku type in stainless body (Oct.2005 Oboke station)
FP_kiha54.jpg

kiha(キハ) means...
ki(キ) < kidousha(気動車) = diesel car
ha(ハ) = the third letter of the Iroha(イロハ) < the third class (normal class)
Thanks.

Oh yes! I gonna talk about the 'Umekoji Steam Locomotive Museum'. There are a lot of steam locos and some of them provide daily operation. Plus, Class C57/C56 is working in main line as "Yamaguchi-go".
I strongly recommend to visit Umekoji when you would go to Japan. There are all of Japanese steam engines. I will write more about Umekoji some other day. Thanks.

Umekoji official site(in English)
http://www.mtm.or.jp/uslm/eng/

C62(Shirokuni) A Go!
FP_C62-2.jpg

Back