Major Tri State Area Project

These look great but I'd suggest adding some different colors of grazzy. I use about equal amounts of A and B and put some C in it. I only use the Grazzy2 stuff because I prefer the smaller size and more muted colors.

Thanks MeowRailroad. I am going to try out the different varieties of grazzy grasses to see how this lot with the trailer looks like. I am also going to mix in the Forest Summer grass in some areas.

Excellent as always Malikrthr! What are you using for the apartment buildings? Those would look good on the NYCTA A & B division routes currently in progress. Also, I see you're using Ish's X-Elevated Sheds--kudos! I'm using them too, and they blend in perfectly!

Your scenery is top notch as always, something I aspire to recreate in my other routes!

-A :wave:

Thanks Acelejalde, I am using a combination of buildings from the DLS and I used the RubyTMIX exporter to export some buildings from Sketchup. That is awesome. For the NYCTA route, I am using a some of your tunnels, signals, and Ish's sheds and track utilities. Alot of great content for the NYCTA in Trainz. I am also seeing if it is possible to export a cab or interior from OpenBVE to Trainz for some of the NTT subway cars and newer Metro North cars. Working very slowly on the baseboards but I say to myself trying to make it just like the real route but as long as it looks great to the eye, it's a good route :)

Excellent work again! I would suggest PM-ing Mikey186--he's one of our developers at BDC and he's been in Trainz for awhile. He also has extensive experience with OpenBVE, and I'm sure he would be able to import cabs and the like for NYCTA. Right now, he's working on the BART cars, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind looking @ what he can do.

Also, I know you've been waiting on the NYCTA signal diagrams, and my apologies for them being so darn late--I've been focusing exclusively on BART for the last year. Over the holiday weekend, I plan on combing through NYCTA again. Just PM me what portions of the subway you need the diagrams for, and I'll send them, along with a key for what signal heads go with their corresponding NYCTA signal for Trainz.

Keep at it! I may have to "steal" the look of the 239 St yard from you, since that's one of the few unfinished for me on the A Div route so far! :p

-A :wave:

Thank you Acelejalde. I am going to see about sending a PM to Mikey186 on possible cab conversion from OpenBVE to Trainz. If the cabs from OpenBVE work in Trainz, that would be awesome :cool:. The current cabs in Trainz for NYCTA are still great.

That is okay, no problem. I found a book called "Tracks of the New York City Subway" that gave me an idea of where tracks should be placed. Parts of the route like the 239th st yard have a bit of fictional track work. I created the yard in a way where the tracks are not exactly as how they appear in real life but with the track work and scenery, would resemble a yard that looks fairly close to 239th street yard.

Most definitely, and awesome work on your NYCTA content and BART route :).

@Malikrthr:

I know of the "Tracks of the NYC Subway" book--I've helped Mr. Dougherty with some notes in the past. That is a great reference tool for sure! It doesn't include signal maps, as it's intention is just to tell the reader where all the subway tracks are. The signal diagrams are different, and I'm surprised I didn't ask this before, but do you intend the NYC Subway portion of your route to be prototypical, in the signals/signs sense? If so, then my diagrams can help--if not, then there's no need. Your route is already one that I'm eagerly anticipating, even though I'm not as familiar with the Tri-State rail operations as I am with the subway.

-A

That is awesome that you helped gather notes for the book. Some parts of the subway will be prototypical. Mainly, the yards will have a combination of fiction and prototypical but the main parts of the route that don't include the yard will be prototypical as far as signals go. Since I don't have any train traffic, the signals are mostly green until I reach the end of the track. Right now, the 239th street yard for the 2 and 5 line is just about complete. I have also extended the trackwork south to 233rd street station. After filling in the scenery for that area, I think I will begin working on the Metro North from Woodlawn to Williamsbridge. Most of the trackwork in the yards are fictional, but to my eye, it has great detail and resembles the real yard. In areas like the yard, maybe home signals can be placed at the junctions along with a combination of automatic signals. After adding houses and more roads in the area, I will continue south towards Gun Hill Road.

Last edited:
Excellent work! So, for the purposes of your entire Tri-State route, am I correct in assuming that you're doing just the 2/5 in the Bronx? If that's the case, then I can easily place all of the signals for you, prototypically, including the yard signals, and set the junction speed limits, and place all the signs and such.

Keep up the good work! The NYCTA Track Book you have has full map yards in the back pages, so those should help you make your yards accurate. Love the shots though!

-A

Thank you Acelejalde :cool: I am also going to work on the 1, 4, 6, 7 and A lines. The 2 line will go down to 14th street along with the 1 line. The 5 line will go down to Bowling Green along with the 4 line. I am going to work on the full 7 line.Work on those lines won't start for a while. A couple of screenshots from the upper Hudson line :)

Last edited:
Heck of a project you have going here, looking really nice, thanks for sharing the great Pics, like the water shot with Sail Boat.

Thanks robertoc45. Most definitely, I am not giving up on this project. Slowly but surely making progress on the Major Tri State Area. Once I organize my picklists to filter through content quickly, I'll have more progress shots.

Back