Major Tri State Area Project

Hello,

Congrats on your
Bachelor's degree -- :udrool:

And great looking route --- always following!!!

Take Care
Ish

Thank you Blueodessey :), I agree, most definitely. There are so many areas to learn about in the IT field with programming, software, hardware and networking. Congratulations on your grand kid starting college. Definitely a great milestone and feels great to make progress. I am going to do my best with the route. Slowly but surely, this project will be built. I am soon looking to invest in a second monitor so it will be easier for me to have reference maps on one screen and trainz on another screen.

Thank you Ish6 :)

Malikrhtr,

I would look into local goodwills or thrift stores for that. I find that many people are preferring laptops nowadays, so they'll donate their unused desktop monitors because of this. I would say it is a great investment, because instead of using the alt+tab to switch between Trainz and my maps, now I can have Trainz running on one monitor, and my signal diagrams running on the other. By the way, singling out certain diagrams is proving to be cumbersome, and I was wondering if you'd allow me to specifically signal the NYCTA portions of your route when you're ready for a beta? We have new signals rolling out and their behavior is 100% like the MTAs (with homes, timers, combo-timer/homes, etc). I would love to be a part of your project, as I'm signaling my own IRT route at present.

Also, congratulations on getting your degree! Since I'm working on three major urban routes right now, what are your suggestions for tree objects? I've used splines for now, but they're just not cutting it, and the rotation tool would also help me make the scenery non-repetitive.

-A :wave:

Last edited:
I never see any monitors in Goodwill, except for CRT, and smaller 18" ones, with a 1 week return guarantee on electrical appliances

Staples has sales all the time for 20", and larger, for $89

Acelejalde: Thank you :). I am really glad to reach this milestone in my academics. I will take a look at the goodwill stores. For now, I am using my older laptop as a secondary display next to my monitor so I can have maps open along with trainz on my main computer. For now, the Alt+tab combination comes in handy to quickly switch between windows. Cool, most definitely. Once the route is ready for beta, I will et you know so you can help with signalling the NYCTA portion. For tree objects, I prefer to use the billboard trees. I specifically like to use a mixture of billboard trees and grazzy grass. Some of the trees that I use in my routes are the CL Tane trees and bushes, JVC trees, forest, and forest summer trees, along with a few t_derovo trees. I like speedtrees but don't use them because from what I notice in Trainz 2010 and TANE, alot of speedtrees together will cause the Trainz application to randomly close. I also like to sink some of the trees, so it will look like there are shrubs. If you use the splines, it is recommended that you use them further away from the track, as they are frame and stutter killers in certain instances.

Cascaderailroad: Cool, I will also take a look at Staples and Microcenter. I am using a Viewsonic monitor 22". Probably around Black Friday or the Holidays, there will be mega sales on monitors.

You might just get lucky. We found our son a 25" 1920x1080p widescreen flat screen monitor at a thrift store, and it works just great! It was not a GoodWill, but a local store here run by the Youth Ranch program.

Cascaderailroad: Cool, I will also take a look at Staples and Microcenter. I am using a Viewsonic monitor 22". Probably around Black Friday or the Holidays, there will be mega sales on monitors.

Hi There,

My 2 cents: better to buy a brand new one then Goodwill, or Salvation Army. Etc .. Brand new can last a long time, where as a use one will mostly will not! -- Holidays are the best for this, as you have Black Friday, or better yet Cyber Monday! Etc!

Good Luck
Ish

Back