The Frisco High Line

dricketts

Trainz Luvr since 2004
After almost a year of work it's time to start the "Frisco High Line" thread. This is still a work in progress and I suspect it could easily be another year before completion.

A Little History of the High Line

In December of 1934, most of the KCCS (Kansas City Clinton Springfield) railroad was abandoned, thus leaving the Frisco High Line as the only railroad for most of the region. The KCCS was the slower and more run-down of the two railroads. It had a reputation as a slow and pokey railroad in the towns it served. These jokes soon turned to discontent as the KCCS was abandoned. Enough business was had on the Frisco High Line to keep it operating. Daily passenger trains operated either way on the line, numbers 20 and 21. Motor Car service was tried briefly, but it could only handle one trailing car. More room was needed for express. A large express shipper was a hatchery in Clinton, Mo. It was willing to pay premium prices for this extra and faster service.

In Kansas City, a connection was made with the Kansas City Terminal (KCT) Railroad where passenger trains went on to Union Station over the KCT crosstown main. The Frisco serviced its own passenger power and had its own coach yard at 19th Street yards in the West Bottoms of Kansas City. The High Line train departed east out of Kansas City's Union Station. [FONT=&quot]The train passed through 30 towns on the way to Springfield. Mo. where it stopped each day. The High Line afforded the only rail transportation directly from Springfield, to Clinton, to Kansas City and back. The High Line carried a good many passengers coming into Springfield from Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and other western states. True, the High Line was a slow train but it traveled in daylight and newcomers to the United States from the West often expressed their pleasure with the sight seeing advantages of the Ozarks from the little train. [/FONT]Regular passenger service lasted until May 28, 1954 with the removal of trains 20 and 21. Caboose passenger service lasted until the end of all passenger service on the Frisco in 1967. In the Diesel era, power for the High Line was usually a brace of RS-2s, although a FA-1 was known to operate on the line. Later years brought various GP's including the GP-9, - 7, -15, and -38-2.

The High Line lasted intact until 1979 when Truman Reservoir was opened. The line was severed between East Lynne and Weaubeleau because of the cost of building bridges over the new lake for a marginal line. This was eventually cut back to Bolivar. The Frisco merged into the Burlington Northern System in 1980. The northern remnant of the High Line was operated as the Grandview Branch by the BN until 1986 when it was sold to the Smokey Hill Railroad Museum. To the south service to Bolivar from Springfield was as needed. It switched the MFA Elevator, bringing in loads of fertilizer in covered hoppers. This too was abandoned from Willard to Bolivar in 1991. The line still exists to Willard to serve the Conco limestone quarry. This small portion of the High Line is now owned by the BNSF.

The Route
  • The route starts just north of Clinton, Mo. and runs about 80 miles just south of Bolivar, Mo. The MKT (Missouri Kansas Texas) crosses the Frisco High Line in Clinton on its way to St. Louis. About 15 miles of the MKT will be included.
  • The route is designed for the 1950's 60's era but could easily be transitioned to other eras with a little imagination.
  • Topography for the route was created with DEM data.
  • Includes 9 smaller towns with sidings/spurs and one larger town with a small yard. Should be enjoyable for anyone who loves the operation of locals and small passenger service.
  • SLSF bridge records for the Clinton sub were used for accurate bridge types, lengths, and heights. Over 30 bridges total.
  • Sandborn insurance maps have been used to correctly place structures and buildings where possible.
  • Handwritten notes and diagrams by Frisco High Line employees were used for additional accuracy. This helped with the placement of telegraph poles, structures, sidings, etc.
  • Mile markers signs are accurately placed on telegraph poles as the SLSF did on the High Line.
  • Only uses high detailed textures.
  • The route is built for TS2010 and above.
The orange is the SLSF (Frisco) and yellow is the MKT. Both are included in the route.

XBLv3.jpg

OXpWW.jpg

Last edited:
Frisco 1312 headed south through Gerster, Mo. on its way to Springfield, Mo. Crossing one of two crossings in Gerster.

BRvlr.jpg

BN 1389 crossing Farm Rd. 632 after the Frisco merger.

Ir6rf.jpg

A small Midwest farm just outside Bolivar, Mo. SLSF 517 heading north in the background.

HjhFY.jpg

SLSF local #517 crosses a small trestle just south of Cliquot, Mo.

7tqBf.jpg

Last edited:
This is the horseshoe curve on Weaubleau Hill. This was the tightest curve anywhere on the entire Frisco system. The site has been the scene of more than one fatal accident over the years.

miafS.jpg

6RDJI.jpg

Crossing Weaubleau Creek.

CW00X.jpg

hQDyC.jpg

WfPxM.jpg

OwsXT.jpg

CnMSp.jpg

Ah, so this is the old "Leaky Roof" railroad that's part of the Kansas City Grandview and Belton tourist railroad now.:D

I've ridden on it, and my Grandpa remembers when it used to go over the old wooden trestle (Just south of Belton, right next to highway 71, as is most of the tourist line) to Harrisonville. the trestle still stands, and you can see it through the a break in the trees on 71. I've tried to build the north end of the line (Grandview-Clinton) twice now. Maybe i need to try it again...though i don't suggest merging this route to it:eek: :hehe:

good looking route, too bad my elcrapostar videocard won't like the speed treez.

Ah, so this is the old "Leaky Roof" railroad that's part of the Kansas City Grandview and Belton tourist railroad now.:D

Yes parts. The "Leaky Roof" was the nickname for the KCCS (Kansas City Clinton Springfield) railroad. If I remember correctly from my research the SLSF aquired the KCCS in 1925. The KCCS and SLSF had competing parallel lines from KC to Springfield. After the acquisition most of the old KCCS line was abandoned.

Like most railroad acquisitions and mergers this too was messy over the years.
http://tacnet.missouri.org/history/railroads/leakyroof.html

:udrool:

Wow, is just about all I have to say about this. To see someone capture shortling midwest like this (althought I think someone else may have done it before?:confused: ) is just amazing.

.....and I hate to say this but I noticed it and it is bugging the crap out of me.

Crossing Weaubleau Creek

I noticed that the steel bridge doesnt have anysupport other than the flimsy looking wooden supports for the trestle. Just an observation.:cool:

:udrool:
I noticed that the steel bridge doesnt have anysupport other than the flimsy looking wooden supports for the trestle. Just an observation.:cool:

Yes I need to add something there. I just haven't been able to find the right support that suits me. There are 4 bridges total with the same design.

Thanks again...

Here's a Frisco local crossing the Osage River in Osceola. Headed north to Kansas City.

4NwGZ.jpg

JvoMi.jpg

Back