you know whats annoying?

bp012q1020

My kids brought me trainz 2004 some years back for my birthday, they saved up there pocket money and got it me, best gift I ever recieved, I loved the fact that I could download additional stuff. now though... having had the game brought me, I am being asked to pay AGAIN to download content wich should be openly available to people who have already purchashed the game in ome way weather it was a gift or there own buy....​

Your grievance has been voiced in these forums a number of times. The download station is not a freebie and someone has to pay for it. And you should bear in mind that the stuff on the DLS is made by individuals in their spare time without pay and they are making it available to fellow Trainzers free of charge. I am quite happy to pay a reasonable charge for this service.

Surely in the five years you have had Trainz, you must have gathered a vast amount of free downloads in that time. Don't forget that the version you are using is the best part of near eight years old, that's ancient in terms of software and computers, you cannot blame the company for no longer supporting such vintage software without asking a small fee to keep the servers paid for. :wave:

TRS2006 cost me $14.95 USD in 2007, for 4 years of service ... the annual FCT @ $22 USD, 6 cents per day, is the best afordable price for downloading from the DLS.

I now am faced with choosing TS10 $19.99, or TS12 $49.99 ... and price is not my sway point. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm TS12 ?

You get what you pay for ... you pay for what you get !

Last edited:
Free Coke refills forever

I would think that after buying something in 2004, you would be entitled to have people make things for you and give them to you for free, and to have other people buy and run servers for you, for free, and all of this for the rest of your life.

Yep, that's reasonable. And guess what: that's what you have. Now if you also want these downloads to be fast... well, then you're going to have to help pay for the faster boxes.

I would think that after buying something in 2004, you would be entitled to have people make things for you and give them to you for free, and to have other people buy and run servers for you, for free, and all of this for the rest of your life.

Yep, that's reasonable. And guess what: that's what you have. Now if you also want these downloads to be fast... well, then you're going to have to help pay for the faster boxes.

Don't give answers to a question you haven't understood.
You are wrong, only having TRS2004 means the OP has to buy a fct to actually access the DLS, not make his downloads faster, he can't even download without a fct.

Don't give answers to a question you haven't understood.
You are wrong, only having TRS2004 means the OP has to buy a fct to actually access the DLS, not make his downloads faster, he can't even download without a fct.

That's a good point. It's also a good point to note that there really aren't going to be any new items made for 2004 on the DLS. The user could still download from other sources though.

I have great difficulty believing there is someone left in this world who thinks all good things are free. Where are you from mate, Hollywood? All hobbies cost money and you get what you pay for. If you think you should still get free stuff for an antiquated version of trains, then poor you, Wake up and get real.
It's a simple equation really. Anyone stuck in 2004 or 2006 should realise that the world has moved on. I cant understand why N3V even bothers to have 2004 stuff still on the DLS. It should be removed. Most of the grisslers who complain on this forum probably pay $4 for a coffee a day but refuse to pay a weeks coffee price for something that will last years.

Last edited by a moderator:

In regards to yyour title, can I walk into Maccas and get a coke refill if I walk in with a Maccas authentic '50's cup??

Work it out

Jamie

Nimec, I think you've gone a bit overboard with that post, not to mention being mildly offensive. The OP's post doesn't require an answer full of sarcasm or expletives.

I have great difficulty believing there is someone left in this world who thinks all good things are free. Where are you from mate, Hollywood? All hobbies cost money and you get what you pay for. If you think you should still get free stuff for an antiquated version of trains, then poor you, Wake up and get real.
It's a simple equation really. Anyone stuck in 2004 or 2006 should realise that the world has moved on. I cant understand why N3V even bothers to have 2004 stuff still on the DLS. It should be removed. Most of the grisslers who complain on this forum probably pay $4 for a coffee a day but refuse to pay a weeks coffee price for something that will last years.

Some of us do realise that the world has moved on, but you have to consider is that some of us are unemployed and cant afford to up grade as yet. I am happy with 2004/6 and happy with 3rd party sites such as TPR..Trains Depot not to mention others that are available. The cost of the FCT is to help with the running of the servers in my opinion. So the content is still free.

Till I have the funds to up grade my Trainz I have no problems with the cost of a FCT.
Just my thoughts on this.

It's a simple equation really. Anyone stuck in 2004 or 2006 should realise that the world has moved on. I cant understand why N3V even bothers to have 2004 stuff still on the DLS. It should be removed.
If N3V removed all the TRS2006 & TRS2004 assets, you would have tens of thousands of assets missing, (that work very well in all higher versions). You don't cut off your nose, to spite your face !

I think the first two responses in this thread covered the topic adequately.

Your grievance has been voiced in these forums a number of times. The download station is not a freebie and someone has to pay for it. And you should bear in mind that the stuff on the DLS is made by individuals in their spare time without pay and they are making it available to fellow Trainzers free of charge. I am quite happy to pay a reasonable charge for this service.

Surely in the five years you have had Trainz, you must have gathered a vast amount of free downloads in that time. Don't forget that the version you are using is the best part of near eight years old, that's ancient in terms of software and computers, you cannot blame the company for no longer supporting such vintage software without asking a small fee to keep the servers paid for. :wave:

... everything went mostly downhill from there.

Does anybody have any popcorn? ;)

Seriously though. This hobby is one of the least expensive ones I've ever had. The FCT, at the $1.83333333 per month, is nothing. You can't even get a gallon of gas for that anymore. Other than the cost of the computer, which most people have purchased anyway, along with the internet service, which most people would have today, the cost of the program with the FCT is nothing in the scope of things. Especially since the number of hours spent using the program far out ways the initial cost of the purchases. Thinking from a business stand-point, this is called the ROI or return on investment, which in this case is pretty wonderful. Most companies would gladly have this kind of ratio of use to purchasing cost.

Yes, I understand that some people are on a tight budget. I was for over a year when I was unemployed. There are some things you need to cut out, otherwise you can't eat or purchase medication. While I was out of work, I had that choice. My unemployment did not cover my PD medication, which costs over $585 for one medication. Today I take another 7 different ones now, with one of the new ones now costing $860 per month without insurance. Today I am lucky with the insurance. Then I chose to eat instead, so I suffered the consequences which are not very nice.

But as others have said here, if it wasn't for N3V, we wouldn't have what we have today, and the cost of running the DLS is not free. It's the FCT that actually pays a good part of the maintenance and server costs to keep the gerbils and hamsters fed and the servers online.

Remember N3V is a business just like Microsoft, Gulf Oil, CBS, HBO, AOL, etc. A business makes money and pays employees that work there and to provide services that we purchase from them. The original founders of Auran were too generous, I think in the beginning, but that's all in the past now. I wonder if things may have been different if they had adopted a different business model in the beginning? But as they say, this was all water under the bridge, and we're in different times now than we ever were.

John

Back