How to resize an image

H222

Hi Guys,

I get the error

Error: The texture '1km square a.jpg' is not a power of 2, please resize it.

How do I resize it to the power of 2, or 1??

Jamie

The "sides" of the image need to be one of these values:

The image does not have to be square, it can be a rectangle.

One of my sides is 1024, and another is 1062, does that mean i need to stretch it??

Jamie

Jamie,

I'm assuming you are trying to setup a basemap, using the 1km Basemap objects.

If so, the 1km x 1km image you cropped in GE needs to be resized using irfanview or similar to 1024 x 1024.

This will clear the error message for you.

Matt.

Yes...

My only problem is I don't know where the resize button is in Irfanview:hehe:

Jamie

Open your image in Irfanview, Edit- Resize/Resample, or use Ctrl-R.

I've created so many basemaps the last year, I can 'mark out', clip and resize the image in my sleep.:sleep:

Matt.

OK, I'm not sure how to stretch it,

Are there any things you can install that allow you to make a grid in Google Earth??

Jamie

Jamie,

It's a fairly simple process, once you get the hang of it.

Step 1: Using the GE ruler, mark out a 1000m line, making sure it is as close to 90 degrees as you can get it. I find it helps to zoom in to an eye altitude of about 500m, to make finite adjustments.

2: With the ruler still in place, click Add/Placemark (Ctrl+Shift+P) to add a placemark (the yellow pin) to each end of the ruler. Again, zoom in to a few hundred metres to line the 'pin' fairly close to the dot that marks the end of the ruler.

3: Click the end of the ruler, and drag it out another 1km, making sure to again get the ruler as close to 1000m and 90 degrees as possible. Pressing 'R' is also helpful, as this rotates your view back dead north, ensuring further accuracy in measurement. Add another placemark, and repeat, so you have a box measuring 1km x 1km, the corners of which are the placemarks.

4: Download this brilliant tool, Snippy, and install.

5: Open Snippy (should appear in the toolbar at bottom of your monitor). Next, in GE, go to 'View' then uncheck 'Sidebar' and 'Status Bar' to give your self a bit more room to work in the next step.

6: Still in GE, hold the right mouse button and slowly move the mouse to scroll the view in and out, so that the four placemarks are just visible at the edge of the screen. Click on the Snippy Icon, which gives you a pencil icon as a mouse cursor.
Back in GE, take the cursor, and while holding 'Shift', click and drag the mouse, creating a box. Drag the box so that it covers as much of the marked area as possible, including the placemarks.

7: Open Irfanview (or similar) and press Ctrl+V to 'Paste' the area you just snipped. Then press 'Ctrl+R', resize the image to 1024 x 1024, and save.

From there, it's just a matter of editing the basemaps in CMP and replacing the original image with the one you just created.
Don't delete the placemarks straight away, either. If you need more than one basemap (highly likely), you can use them as starting points for you ruler, ensuring accuracy when placing basemaps in Trainz. That is also the reason for including them as part of the image. It helps to line them up if you use the placemarks as a guide: Not easy, ! know, but with practice it does work.

If you need additional assistance, I'm glad to help. It took me a while to get the hang of basemaps, so I understand what a pain they can be.

Cheers,

Matt.

Last edited:
Back