Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Weather, Heat Wave, Forest Fire Condition, Flood activity in your area ?

Empty coal open top hoppers are not watertight, and as they leak out the bottom doors, they are perfect means to transport snow to St Louis for thawing, which they often do. A filled hopper of snow would probably be less than 1/4 full when melted into water
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; February 21st, 2015 at 07:39 PM.

United States of America, Washington, Fox Island

It got up to 55 degrees at 1440. This is not winter in the Pacific Northwest, but by no means do I envy you folks back east. When we do get snow it is usually gone in three days, most of the east is looking at what, week 6?

BTW, this was sent to me today, it is a tug on the east coast with the caption "It could be cold back east".

John

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Well, the weather's going crazy again. It's now raining and it's supposed to rain all night, getting heavier overnight.
    Owner of Freeman Locomotive Works.

I heard parts of Tennessee could have power outages lasting a week, due to ice on trees, which have brought down wires.

Without power, no refigerator, no freezer, no electric stove, no electric blower on your gas heater, gas burners on your stove would require manual lighting with a long match or lighter, food would spoil unless you put it outside on the porch.

Unless you have a propane powered laptop, or a propane powered TV (runs for 5 years on a 20 lb tank) it would be back to playing board games like monopoly, in the living room, with winter coats, gloves, and hats on.

Oftentimes people run a gasoline generator indoors, or in a garage, causing everyone in the dwelling to wake up dead, from CO gas.
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; February 21st, 2015 at 09:33 PM.

Blog Entries

Theres's already 6 inches and its sleeting now. I just went for a walk, and saw 2 trains! It is a thing of beauty, seeing them glide over a frozen, snowed over river.
    Supporter of spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Blog Entries

This morning we woke up to some snow, but it's pretty much melted by the end of the day. Tomorrow afternoon we're going to get more snow. By the time it ends sometime tomorrow night, we could get up to 6 INCHES of snow. My Mom's a teacher and she had today off, and now she's got tomorrow off too. This is going to be a wonderful week.

Weather is going to be good for me as I venture out to catch a wave of Z's because of West Coast Port Strike, that has now sort of came to a close. New deal has to be ratified though.
    Chris
    And as always, Have fun!

Blog Entries

Default Weather Update: 6:23PM Eastern Standard Time

It started snowing not that long ago and already we have at least a half-inch of snow. It's supposed to continue snowing until between 4 and 5 in the morning. We are supposed to get 3 to 5 inches of snow by the time the snow leaves. The snow we're getting is what's called 'wet snow', which means the snow is really heavy. This means that the snow will become too heavy for some tree branches and those branches will fall to the ground. This also means that we may lose power. So I'm trying to download more updates and post this before the power goes out.

Blog Entries

Default Weather Update: 9:39AM Eastern Standard Time

The snow stopped in the early hours of the morning. I took a yardstick not that long ago and measured the amount of snow on our back deck and it shows we got 6 inches of snow. Once again, school's out for the kids. It's suppose to ice over tonight, and of course it's not going to melt in one day. That means that there's a very high percentage that the schools are going to be out tomorrow also, meaning that students have been to school only one day this week.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    The snow stopped in the early hours of the morning. I took a yardstick not that long ago and measured the amount of snow on our back deck and it shows we got 6 inches of snow. Once again, school's out for the kids. It's suppose to ice over tonight, and of course it's not going to melt in one day. That means that there's a very high percentage that the schools are going to be out tomorrow also, meaning that students have been to school only one day this week.
    They'll be happy! You'll still have to go to work though, which isn't fair.

As of this week, we have finally topped 3 meters of snow up here. Deer coming to my birdfeeder are up to their stomachs in snow as they walk in the back yard.

John
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

United States of America, Tennessee, Chattanooga
    Blog Entries

I got 9 inches of snow
    today
    - Micah

Yeah,

You guys are getting the treatment now! This is caused by that big dip in the Jetstream and the cold air hitting that warm boundary. We're getting a heatwave early next week. We're going to touch the mid-40s for a day or so.

Right now I have ice jams and some leaks coming in around my windows. I've been getting up during the night to replace sopping towels to prevent them from slopping the dripped water on to the new wood floors.

John
    John

Hold on tight, another one is on the way for you guys. Unfortunately, we are also being impacted. Today according to SPC, there is a chance of some T-storms, and then I keep hearing chances of snow flurries in the valley Saturday.... It's also going to drop from 55-60 degrees to only 40 for a few days...
    Chris
    And as always, Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo1 View Post
    Hold on tight, another one is on the way for you guys. Unfortunately, we are also being impacted. Today according to SPC, there is a chance of some T-storms, and then I keep hearing chances of snow flurries in the valley Saturday.... It's also going to drop from 55-60 degrees to only 40 for a few days...
    Go out and enjoy the sky. Those cold-core storms are gorgeous! We're supposed to get some of that weather in a couple of days. It'll be rain and snow, but much warmer.

The 55-60 down to the 40s is typical of this time of year as the warm air tries to move north as the season changes from winter to spring.

John
    John

Come this summer, when I'm comlplaining about the gawdawfal heat, I'm going to employ one of these, "Self kicking machines":