Railworks 3 to be released in september

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody.
Owning and using those simulators I find that it is only in the words rail simulator that they are easily comparable. If you start with Railworks world editor and Trainz surveyor the two operate in totally different ways. I have done quite a big route in Trainz over the last 18 months and now have started a small route in Railworks.

The first thing you realize when trying Railworks world editor is that you have to forget everything you ever learned in Trainz. The operation of the functions is much more complicated and difficult to learn, but having said that accuracy in the form of track curves etc Is much more accurate and realistic

When it comes to content again the two simulators are on completely different strategies. With Trainz everything you need for a route can be obtained usually free of charge (with the exception of a first-class ticket price) from the CMP. With Railworks there is freeware obtainable but most content is provided by the large payware providers and is usually obtained by downloading their routes and using that content such as buildings etc in your own routes.

If you look on websites such as UKTS you will see there are plenty of freeware routes available but they always state that you need to have often a number of payware routes on your system to be able to use the freeware routes. Again that said much of the content on Railworks is of exceptional quality making the driving experience exceptional as well.

However, it has to be remembered that Railworks is much more about payware and any new user should realize that you have to be prepared to put your hand in your pocket if you wish to use it outside of the routes and content which comes with the original simulator. Many users of Railworks have often spent £200-300 (British sterling) to get the game to where they want it.

However, perhaps the biggest difference between the simulators is the use of steam. It is what this thread has debated and argued over in the past few months with a great divide and no middle ground between beliefs of forum members. If you buy Railworks there is no easy way (some would say no way at all) that you can use the simulator without allowing steam to access your computer to check the legitimacy of your content and update without notification the content you have.

Personally I have no problem with that as I feel one of the great weaknesses with Trainz is the patching with ever-increasing numbers having to be done with each new version. With Railworks you do not get that problem as the patching and upgrades are carried out whenever the computer is switched on without any action by yourself and controversially without your knowledge. That is one issue each potential user or buyer has to consider thoroughly before using Railworks and I respect the opinions of those who find that intolerable.

That said, both simulators have their strengths and weaknesses. I find myself drifting more towards Railworks but that is simply because of the strength and quality of the British content which is what I am interested in. But then again I do like to use both on the limited free time I have

After all that, I better get back to work:D
Bill

Last edited:
Personally I have no problem with that as I feel one of the great weaknesses with Trainz is the patching with ever-increasing numbers having to be done with each new version. With Railworks you do not get that problem as the patching and upgrades are carried out whenever the computer is switched on without any action by yourself and controversially without your knowledge. ...

After all that, I better get back to work:D
Bill
Others would argue that this is one of Trainz great strengths. Patching and upgrades are done if and when the user thinks it necessary and not when someone else who doesn't know the users needs and limitations decides.

If my current hardware couldn't handle the next patch or upgrade, I'll hold off until I make the needed changes. Then when I'm ready, they will be applied. Or not if I think the existing version is good enough. How is that a weakness? The difference between thinking for yourself and meekly following big brother's orders.

Others would argue that this is one of Trainz great strengths. Patching and upgrades are done if and when the user thinks it necessary and not when someone else who doesn't know the users needs and limitations decides.

Indeed, and as an example we only have to look at railworks itself.

Last October when the Railworks -> Railworks 2 upgrade happened, the high speed train was broken in the process. Despite people complaining to RS.c after about 2 days, it took them until February this year to get around to fixing it (basically, it had to wait until they'd finished the pre-christmas payware that was obviously more important to push out than fix existing problems).

So as a result, the HST was undrivable (in any real sense) for nearly 5 months.

Forcing upgrades only works great if you have a rapid turnaround on critical bug fixes, like for example MS - as much maligned as they are, and with their history of security problems, MS *DO* respond rapidly, and on any critical or major security bug, it's usual for there to be a fix in the monthly update cycle, or for really critical bugs, a mid-cycle push.

Railworks does NOT have that rapid turnover on bug fixes that warrents forcing people onto upgrades, in fact, most of us have to keep several versions around to counter the various long term unfixed bugs that are severe enough to make routes/scenarios/rolling-stock unplayable on newer versions.

I already have railworks and its alright if you want to do a full sim, i just like the fact of trainz12 being so fun and interesting. And the community for trainz is great. Also dealing with steam blows, so if i have to deal outside of steam and not have to pay 30 for a route them woo! But i will admit i like the look of the wipers and rain in the new version of railworks so i will play it for fun but my money will be spent right here in trainz12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back