RailDriver

Padster

Returned...
Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but here goes...

I have recently bought RailDriver's Cab Controller (which is excellent) for use with TRS2004. I am slowly figuring out the controls but would like some help on brake application please. I have been using the Auto Brake, but was wondering if I should be using the Independent Brake more? I would also appreciate a little help on gear shift too, if possible, as the manual doesn't deal with actual control of locomotives.

Thanks,
Padster

Here is a link to an EXCELLENT explaination of train brake systems:

http://www.railroad.net/articles/railfanning/airbrakes/index.php

I use both brakes... but it really depends on the train I'm running as to how I use them; alone and together.

If you are operating a switcher loco alone or with only a few cars, the independant brake alone works way better. With a long freight train, that same brake alone is virtually useless.

You can use the independant brake to control low-speed acceleration or braking. If I want to stop a train exactly in front of a signal or at a station platform, I'll use the train (automatic) brake to get down to 10mph or less and then set the throttle to notch 1 or 2 and control my final stop with the independant... nice and smooth. I don't even bother with the train brake on RDC's or trams.

The independant brake can also be used to control accelleration. Short lightweight passenger trains or RDC's have a tendency to be over-powered and riders really appreciate a smooth depart. While this is not so important on a freight train, the independant brake can also be used to some extent to help control wheel slip.

Since the independant brake only controls brakes on the locomotive, it reacts immediately, unlike the delayed action of the train brake, which is very cool when you just want to trim 1 or 2mph off your speed right now. It can be used to augment dynamic braking, creating even more drag at the front of the train... just be careful not to overheat your loco brakes and possibly set a fire.

Coupler slack can be controlled with the independant also. When backing a train to couple with cars, you can use the loco brake to 'stretch' your train and reduce the resultant impact. This is also nice when starting a train uphill; release the train brake with the loco brake applied and allow the train to stretch before trying to move.

Of course, all these examples apply more to the real world than to Trainz (which is WAY more forgiving.) But, if you want prototypical operation like I do, that's what I do.

Thanks for that informative reply Goodell, I appreciate it. I must say, I am having lots of fun with RailDriver. It really adds an extra dimension to Trainz.

Best wishes,
Padster

I think that Padster confused the reverser lever with the "gear shift". A few locomotives and rail cars have gear transmissions such as the Japanese RDC in MSTS.

Over here we have quite a few, the majority being older diesel hydraulics and VT (sort of the German equivelant of DMU).

WileeCoyote:D

No, I think I know what the reverser lever is for. I would be a complete idiot if I didn't lol! I am referring to the 'Range' button which is adjacent to the emergency stop button. In the RailDriver pamphlet it is marked as 'Gear Shift', but as you correctly state, Trainz does not have gear shift (it's for use in MSTS) What this button does in Trainz is pan around the cab.

Now I think I have the controls of my RailDriver sorted out. Just one more thing....where is the steering wheel?!;)

Best wishes,
Padster

That's funny... My [RANGE] button switches the turnout ahead if I push it, and the turnout behind if I pull it.

you can also assign the buttons and switches to certain action via the cab configuration mode.

I have changed on of the switches to a change the "points" (switches) forward and backward.

...out'a my range...

:cool: My "Range" toggles the cabview.

My "Sand" button, don't work.

My "Wiper" switch don't work.

"Display Clock" don't work.

But everything else works fine!

More on Breaking

I have been trying to Set one of my buttons to Lap the Breaks,
I can set it up in config but it doesn't in Driver.
Any help
Don

Don, which brake are you trying to lap?

If it's the train brake, then provided the config.txt of the loco is set up for self-lapping train brakes, then the raildriver's brake handle should act like a self-lapping brake handle.

regards

Harry

Raildriver newbie needs help

I recieved my brand new Raildriver today and spent the entire afternoon and evening in absolute disappointment. After following the brief instructions in the manual and loading the drivers for the Trainz 2006 and Trainz 2004, calibrating the unit and attempting to use the unit, I finally admit absolute failure. I contacted PI tech support and the only real info I got was that RD might not be able to run because I installed my Trainz software in "other than the default" drive of C:/program files/Auran...etc. If this is true, then I am thouroughly disgusted with it. Almost all of the information on RD is slanted toward MSTS, even their tutorials. I uninstalled and reinstalled their software (the programs included are not the latest version that come on the CD). Their tech support even set me up with their "cleanup.zip" file that would erase all traces of the software and drivers from the registry.

I am now up to 5 complete restarts and reinstalls and I will finally call it quits. The RD display will not change from rd to anything and if there is some magic key to making it work, I would greatly appreciate any help in solving this mystery. Obviously there are several users out there that have solved this on their own but my village just called and they are reporting their idiot missing.

TIA,
Nick (frustrated) Kulp

That's odd...

I found mine to be idiot proof. I installed the drivers and "Poof!," I had a fully functioning RailDriver.

I couldn't be more satisfied with mine; I'll never go back to Trainz without it!

I suspect the documentation is more for MSTS because there isn't a clean interface with the Microsoft product. RailDriver hooks into that program via a quirky method and not every locomotive supports it. RailDriver and Trainz have a much better relationship and things just kind of work like they are supposed to.

I'm sorry you are having trouble... You are really missing out if you can't get it to work. I can't imagine what the problem might be.

~Good luck

I have been running RailDriver on MSTS. At first I was unable to make RailDriver work until I realised that MSTS had to be started by running RailDriver which then took me into MSTS with RailDriver operating.

I don't know if this is any help because I have installed Trainz and am unable to run RailDriver with this. I have opened a file in Cab Maker which shows the file listed together with MSTS files, but only the MTS files appear in RailDriver Manager.
In Cab Maker I have selected Trainz under 'game' and selected the Trainz button (as apposed to MSTS button), but each time I return to this screen the MSTS button is selected.

Of course this is my problem, but if you are only running Trainz could it be:
a/ you have to start Trainz using RailDriver, or
b/ In Cab Maker Trainz is not selected by 'game' or button?

From what I have read on the forum, you have to have two seperate installs of the Raildriver software to use Raildriver with both MSTS and TRS04.

Have managed to solve my own problem.
Problem: running Trainz RailDriver only displayed RD
Solution found in RailDriver Support Site. This said that in Cabmaker under File there should have been 'apply to Trainz' on the drop down menu; there wasn't.
Under 'technical downloads' found new driver for 'Manager', 'Cab Maker' and 'Calibration'. Once installed I now had the options to 'apply to Trainz' or 'apply to MSTS'

Back