NVIDIA Driver Problems (using OpenGL or DirectX)

peterwise

Steam Era Fan
I hope that people with NIVIDIA GPUs (graphics cards) having "new" problems running any version of Trainz might find this posting useful as I seem to uncovered a serious bug in newer NVIDIA graphics drivers.

In short the work around might be to "Disable Hardware TL" or something similar depending on the version of Trainz you are using until NVIDIA bring out a new driver that (hopefully) fixes the problem. The quality and performance both suffer, but it's better than crashing (the Trainz/PC not the train ;-) !

I recently reinstalled TS12 onto a new (i5-based) computer in Windows 7 64-bit and Trainz would not run for long without Hardware TL disabled. My old computer used XP and my graphics drivers may have been a little out-of-date, which probably explains why I didn't see the problem there.

I had thought the problem was that I was using DirectX 11 whereas my GPU only supports DirectX 9.x. I felt I need to go back to an earlier version of DirectX, but Windows 7 (thankfully) wouldn't let me and now I believe (after reviewing several postings on the NVIDIA and other forums) that I understand that each new version of DirectX runtime contains all previous runtime versions and it is up to the application (in partnership with the GPU) to use the most recent version that (together) they support. So if there is a bug in the NVIDIA driver [Version 275.33 ** (and probably some earlier ones)] then it is probably that it is not restricting itself to using DirectX features to the level that the GPU can support (but using the latest*). Note that whether OpenGL is using graphics drivers directly or via DirectX makes no difference to the scenario. It is affecting them both.

It seems unlikely that it is a problem restricted to Trainz because it crashes Microsft's DxDiag 64-bit (which tests Microsoft's DirectX) and I also ran a GPU stress test (FurMark) and it crashed in less than two seconds (long before the GPU had a chance to heat up - GPU temperature was shown as having risen less than 1 degC). But see note to Zec below.

I'll try and explain the problem as it occurs in Trainz (well my TS12 anyway when "Hardware TL" is enabled), but first it may be useful if I explain what I believe this "Hardware TL" is supposed to be. I believe it is synonymous with T&L or TCL (I'm open to correction). TCL stands for Transform, Clipping and Lighting, where the hardware (1) transforms 3D coordinates in the game to 2D coordinates on your screen, (2) clips off areas that you can't see from your viewpoint and (3) ensures that areas have the correct colour for the lighting/shadow conditions.

So the problem, as I see it, using the new NVIDIA drivers and OpenGL (in Trainz' Driver mode certainly with its far greater use of TCL because of the movement) crashes within a minute anyway. You can change Trainz from using OpenGL to DirectX, but then the quality is truly AWFUL! (Even text within an image can't be read). Just "Disable Hardware TL" and wait for NVIDIA (I have written to an NVIDIA forum)! The specific error messages (using OpenGL) in Windows 7 are fleeting, but they read:

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display
driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Please visit http://www.nvidia.co...ge/support.html for help
Error code 8

AND

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

Hoping my 3 or 4 days or research helps some out of this thorny problem (and reduces Zec's workload a bit).

All the best,

Peter.

NB: *** ZEC *** you might find this useful with regard to some of the newer support questions you receive and you might want to check with the Auran programmers that they make no assumptions about which DirectX runtime version can be used, but leave it to the lower level (usually working) software to decide.

* Note that this sort of backwards compatibility bug often slips through the net at the testing stage of software development (like drivers) because newer hardware and operating systems are the focus of the testing.

** NVIDIA forum postings indicate that the problem is not restricted to just one type of NVIDIA GPU, but seems to be related to the newer driver version(s).

I hope that people with NIVIDIA GPUs (graphics cards) having "new" problems running any version of Trainz might find this posting useful as I seem to uncovered a serious bug in newer NVIDIA graphics drivers.

In short the work around might be to "Disable Hardware TL" or something similar depending on the version of Trainz you are using until NVIDIA bring out a new driver that (hopefully) fixes the problem. The quality and performance both suffer, but it's better than crashing (the Trainz/PC not the train ;-) !

I recently reinstalled TS12 onto a new (i5-based) computer in Windows 7 64-bit and Trainz would not run for long without Hardware TL disabled. My old computer used XP and my graphics drivers may have been a little out-of-date, which probably explains why I didn't see the problem there.

I had thought the problem was that I was using DirectX 11 whereas my GPU only supports DirectX 9.x. I felt I need to go back to an earlier version of DirectX, but Windows 7 (thankfully) wouldn't let me and now I believe (after reviewing several postings on the NVIDIA and other forums) that I understand that each new version of DirectX runtime contains all previous runtime versions and it is up to the application (in partnership with the GPU) to use the most recent version that (together) they support. So if there is a bug in the NVIDIA driver [Version 275.33 ** (and probably some earlier ones)] then it is probably that it is not restricting itself to using DirectX features to the level that the GPU can support (but using the latest*). Note that whether OpenGL is using graphics drivers directly or via DirectX makes no difference to the scenario. It is affecting them both.

It seems unlikely that it is a problem restricted to Trainz because it crashes Microsft's DxDiag 64-bit (which tests Microsoft's DirectX) and I also ran a GPU stress test (FurMark) and it crashed in less than two seconds (long before the GPU had a chance to heat up - GPU temperature was shown as having risen less than 1 degC). But see note to Zec below.

I'll try and explain the problem as it occurs in Trainz (well my TS12 anyway when "Hardware TL" is enabled), but first it may be useful if I explain what I believe this "Hardware TL" is supposed to be. I believe it is synonymous with T&L or TCL (I'm open to correction). TCL stands for Transform, Clipping and Lighting, where the hardware (1) transforms 3D coordinates in the game to 2D coordinates on your screen, (2) clips off areas that you can't see from your viewpoint and (3) ensures that areas have the correct colour for the lighting/shadow conditions.

So the problem, as I see it, using the new NVIDIA drivers and OpenGL (in Trainz' Driver mode certainly with its far greater use of TCL because of the movement) crashes within a minute anyway. You can change Trainz from using OpenGL to DirectX, but then the quality is truly AWFUL! (Even text within an image can't be read). Just "Disable Hardware TL" and wait for NVIDIA (I have written to an NVIDIA forum)! The specific error messages (using OpenGL) in Windows 7 are fleeting, but they read:

Error code 8

AND

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33 stopped
responding and has successfully recovered.

Hoping my 3 or 4 days or research helps some out of this thorny problem (and reduces Zec's workload a bit).

All the best,

Peter.

NB: *** ZEC *** you might find this useful with regard to some of the newer support questions you receive and you might want to check with the Auran programmers that they make no assumptions about which DirectX runtime version can be used, but leave it to the lower level (usually working) software to decide.

* Note that this sort of backwards compatibility bug often slips through the net at the testing stage of software development (like drivers) because newer hardware and operating systems are the focus of the testing.

** NVIDIA forum postings indicate that the problem is not restricted to just one type of NVIDIA GPU, but seems to be related to the newer driver version(s).

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem with the new drivers. I have been using the new drivers since day one (auto update) without an issue of any sort. My GPU is the 1GB msi GT430 (factory OC @ 800mhz). MY FPS (TRAINZ 2010) are better than ever with superb graphics and no stuttering. On a typical route with average trees and track I am seeing 30-50 FPS using direct X and 20-40FPS using OGL. This is in compatibility mode since I run a lot of older (updated) content, mostly steam. Hope that your problems are resolved soon.

Have you checked to make sure that Direct X9(C) is present on your machine and accessible to TRAINZ?

tomurban

Last edited:
I have the same problem as peterwise in TS12 and in TS2010:

Error code 8

My specs:
Win7 SP1 64-bit Professionell
Intel Core i7 2,93 GHz (overclocked to 3,5 GHz)
2 x Nvidia Geforce GTX 285 (SLI)
Driver: Geforce 275.33 WHQL

I noticed the problem some driver-versions ago and until now nothing has changed.

Kind regards

Swordfish

I got this error once. Reinstalling drivers, DX9, etc. - even the latest versions. What ultimately fixed the problem was doing a System Restore.

Actually it's a problem that occurs with OpenGL on 64bit Vista and Win7 affects ATI as well as Nvidia and has been around since before Win7 was released. There are a heck of a lot of so called fixes that work for a couple of people and not others. There are "Expert" forums blaming drivers, Microsoft, Chipset compatibility problems, motherboards, power saving settings registry entries and 101 other possible causes.
In other words no one seems to have a proper answer for cure or cause.

I got rid of it back in 2009 by completely removing the drivers and any related registry entries and reinstalling the drivers.
On my latest home build PC's I haven't seen the problem at all in the 6 months I've been using them for.

Malc: 64 bit OS may be the key here as I am using WIN7 32 bit with no issues. And I was thinking of upgrading to the 64 bit version. Better put a hold on that.

tomurban

This is interesting because I use a 3d graphics program,which crashes to the desktop only with the latest NVidia drivers, but runs fine with the ATI drivers for the 5860 card I have on my Alienware laptop.

Interesting... I wonder what the "experts" are going to say at NVidia and EVGA. Keep us posted...

John

Malc: 64 bit OS may be the key here as I am using WIN7 32 bit with no issues. And I was thinking of upgrading to the 64 bit version. Better put a hold on that.

tomurban

I can't remember seeing any references specific to 32 bit, does seem to be a 64 bit problem.
I'm using 64bit Win7 now with no problem but it was 64 bit that the problem occurred on. Incidentally it usually occurred when using Gmax or 3ds but only occasionally when using Trainz.

If you have a spare drive I'd suggest trying 64bit on it as a dual boot, It may or may not have the problem.

As a thought I wonder if it's using older graphics cards, maybe not specifically tailored to 64 bit, could be the problem.

The common thread seems to be 64 bit windows and 3D graphics programs. I am betting that nVidia never tested the new drivers for that scenario.

tomurban

Hi All: I am running Windows Vista, Geforce 9400, 32 Bit System..I downloaded new Driver 275.33..No Problems so far..Now I think DX-9 is needed for Trainz 2009 and up..I'm Running OpenGL..

ATI Radeon Driver 16 colour video card - possible solution

I had reinstall my o/s Windows XP Home Edition (32-bit) after it decided to crash for no apparent reason.

When I tried to run TRS 2006 the error message was that it could not locate Direct 9X or Opengl drivers which was frustrating as anyone can attest to.

I am not a computer wizard but by taking a look in the device manager list that there was a yellow question mark against the VGA Video card there was no driver loaded and of course finding the appropriate driver can be a thankless task.

The solution I found was on the windows update site (came as a surprise to me because I have never found it all that helpful at the best of times when used in the past) which analysed the computer and clicked on the recommendations and under "Hardware" discovered the driver for the card it was 12.5 mb in size downloaded it overnight and in the morning clicked on TRS 2006 appears to work as did previously and it loaded no more error messages.

Hope this information may be of some use to anyone else in the community that has been frustrated by similar system issues and crashes.

**I downloaded a program called driverboost and it managed to locate more uptodate drivers for the ATI radeon card and a couple of yellow question marks against 2 PCI's which had no drivers. You do pay $29.95AUD for 1 year seems to have fixed a lot of issues that I was not aware**

Question: If I create a route in TRS 2006 and want to save it to disk how do you go about it so that I do not lose it should there be another crash? Thank you.

Last edited:
Well is seems EVERYBODY is forgetting something and focusing only on software...

I ran my Dell i7 for almost 3 years and replaced video cards to go back to nvidia from ati. Yes I did replace the power supply first and everything was grand until I re-cased the machine and added liquid cooling. Now the only thing that had happened was that a 3 year old mother board had cards removed and reinserted... I noticed that one of my pci slots was dead also..

Anyway to make a long story short I started getting all kinds of weird graphics errors and driver crashes...

Replaced the motherboard and been smooth sailing ever since...So I think my problem was a motherboard who for whatever reason didnt like being disturbed and slots started dying... 3 year old motherboard go figure...

But anyway the issue at hand could also be hardware related...

Well now it's my turn, for the last week or so I have the same crash with the Nvidia OpenGL Driver-error code 4.
It must be the new drivers I installed, and all the old one's were properly cleaned out before hand with cleaners.
The Nvidia site does not seem to have any answers to the many people having the same problem, but then I've never been very good at looking for the right answers on the internet, :eek:
Does or has anybody found a cause and solution for this problem yet?:wave:

Back